PDA

View Full Version : what would you do with this mindee?

newandlearning
30-11-2010, 02:01 PM
hi everyone..

last week was a real funny week with one of my 3 yo mindees... firstly he kept saying about he couldn't wait till his mummy fun day.. then when a craft activity came unstuck a lil he said.. I'll get mummy to fix it she can fix things better than you.. then he told me mummy was more intelligent than me.. and then when we tried to make those lovely gift boxes for xmas .. he didn't want to stick stuff on it.. or decorate it.. and instead said I'm going to put all these things in the box and do it with mummy :rolleyes: :panic:

now.. I realise mummy is real important but I've never experienced this before and have had similar things with him for nearly a year...

I don't want a battle.. I feel a lil sad that he basically doesn't seem to want to finish any activities with me.. possibly its coz his mum does all the sticking at home???

I think I'm just going to say .. that's ok.. take it home if you want..

But this means that by xmas time he'll have no xmas crafts to take home if he takes them all home half finished :idea: ...

would you tell the mum he said he'd rather finish this off with you? potentially she could well think I'm an idiot and wonder why her child is coming home with unfinished things.. I just don't a know.. x:)

RainbowMum
30-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I'd have a word with mum and ask how they go about craft at home - tell her what he's said and if she admits she does a lot for him suggest that he is old enough now to make more effort himself? He wont get very far at school with that attitude :p

gigglinggoblin
30-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I would talk to mum, it might be as simple as her saying she wishes she could do it with him, if she changes to telling him how much she looks forward to getting things he has made all by himself it might make him think differently. I dont think its wrong to ask her about it, he sounds like is a bit sad being away from her

Polly2
30-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I can understand how you must be feeling :(

I think you need to be completely honest with mum and have a good chat about it. Maybe she can help him feel more settled with you x

mushpea
30-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I would have a chat with mum but if I have a mindee that dosent want to do an activity I dont send it home for them to do they just dont do it and then they dont have a finished item to take home at the end of it,,, I would say to the mindee that if he dosent make it with you then he wont have anything to take home and if he says he wants to finish it later then you will put it onthe side and finish it with him tommoro,, it could just be he dosent want to do the activity or that he has had enough but dont know how to say so.

newandlearning
30-11-2010, 10:09 PM
hi all.. thanks for your replies..

I spoke to mum and apparently during craft activities she does alot of the sticking .. it was a really interesting useful conversation and made me put certain bits of the jigsaw together...

I've now decided that we will still do crafty things but I'll have out some sticking things for him to do a modified activity..

and Mushpea.. that is a really good point.. I may well say next time sorry this can't go home until its finished.. or just do shorter activities ;)

and here I am thinking most kids lovely arts and crafts.. its been an interesting learning experience.:)