PDA

View Full Version : charging for snow days

Helen79
29-11-2010, 01:49 PM
We haven't had any snow yet but I've just checked and I haven't got a snow policy so going to write one tonight.

What does everyone do about charging for snow days? I only have under 3's so no schoolies to pick up except my own dd and if the snow's too bad they would shut the schools.

If the snow's too bad for parent's to get here do I still charge if I'm prepared to work? since the snow won't affect me as I won't have to go out in it I would still stay open.

Lady Haha
29-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I think most of us do charge if we are open as it's not our fault parents can't get to us!

I do school runs and have a policy that I give to parents saying that if school is shut, the after school session is still payable as I am still available to work. If however, I decide that it's too dangerous for me to make the journey if the school is open, then I do not charge as it is my decision not to go.

Pipsqueak
29-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I apply the principle - if I am open and you don't use the (contracted) service - then you still pay.

Milli147
29-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Great, this is exactly what I wanted to know! :)

julie w
29-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I have been thinking about doing a policy too. However I was wondering about the times the children are dropped off in the morning for me to take to school, and then the school shuts. Do I ask parents to collect their children or do I keep them and charge the full day's fees?Also sometimes (although very rarely tbh) the school shuts early if the weather is really bad and the children need to come home early. Do I pick up and chrge the extra? hmmm food for thought.

blue bear
29-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I only have one schoolie, mum leaves it up to me whether I take her to school or not and is happy to pay the extra.
I am open so parents pay me whether they send their children or not, it's not been an issue so far.

Lady Haha
29-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I have been thinking about doing a policy too. However I was wondering about the times the children are dropped off in the morning for me to take to school, and then the school shuts. Do I ask parents to collect their children or do I keep them and charge the full day's fees?Also sometimes (although very rarely tbh) the school shuts early if the weather is really bad and the children need to come home early. Do I pick up and chrge the extra? hmmm food for thought.

I always offer to do the full day if needed, more money for me! Haven't had to deal with the school shutting early, but if it did, then I assume they would contact parents to collect and then the parents would contact us? If so, I would be happy to collect early and charge my hourly rate.

rickysmiths
29-11-2010, 05:28 PM
We haven't had any snow yet but I've just checked and I haven't got a snow policy so going to write one tonight.

What does everyone do about charging for snow days? I only have under 3's so no schoolies to pick up except my own dd and if the snow's too bad they would shut the schools.

If the snow's too bad for parent's to get here do I still charge if I'm prepared to work? since the snow won't affect me as I won't have to go out in it I would still stay open.

I stay open and the parents drop off to me. if they can't get here then they still pay me because I am open for work. I also offer to have the before and after school ones all day if I have room if the school is shut but round here if its bad enough to shut the schools then the parents won't get out to work either.

jibberjitz
29-11-2010, 06:20 PM
We are forecast for heavy snow tomorrow where I live (just a few miles north of Leeds) and I have already had a parent phone to say she is staying home so wont be bringing her child. As I am technically open then I am still charging her :thumbsup:

miffy
29-11-2010, 06:21 PM
I apply the principle - if I am open and you don't use the (contracted) service - then you still pay.

Same here!:thumbsup:

Miffy xx

mushpea
30-11-2010, 07:02 AM
if the school shuts early then i ring the parent and ask them if they want me to collect their child or I ask the parents in advance would they want me to collect their child too
as for charging I would charge the normal contracted hours plus any extra hours they where here for, so with the schoolies i would charge their normal morning charge then from 3 till 5.30pm plus any extra hours they stay for inbetween,, if parents choose to collect early thats up to them but they still get charged school hours too.

Tink
30-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I still charge as I am open, like yesterday the snow was quite bad here and I only had 1 child out of 5 who got here and I am very local to all my parents, not sure about today though as it is quite bad outside.