PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing toys - how often

donnahay0
13-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Was just wondering how often you all purchase toys?

Do you tend to do 2 or 3 main shops for toys and other resources each year or do you budget a set weekly/monthly amount and purchase regularl?

miffy
13-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Well if I'm truthful I buy things when I see them which is most times I go shopping :laughing:

I am hopeless and always buying something for the children even if it's only small things like craft materials

Oh and I don't have a budget either - see said I was hopeless

miffy xx

Kelly
13-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I TRY to only buy new toys if I need them (by new I mean new/used toys), however I find myself at car boots/NCT sales etc all the time and I just can't seem to stop myself, when I'm there I tell myself I need it! When I get home and wonder why have I bought them most of the time!

I have no strict guidance to when I buy them.

Kelly

Monkey1
13-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Usually when i see a bargain, which like Miffy says thats most times i go shopping!!!!!

angeldelight
13-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I buy them if I can afford them or if I see something that catches my eye

Dont even ask about arts and crafts because I cannot pass a shop with out spending

Angel xx

crazybones
13-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Too often. :laughing:

NikNak
13-04-2008, 08:05 PM
does anyone buy toys that are really for the benefit of their own children and still put them down as expenditure?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Kelly
13-04-2008, 08:14 PM
have to admit it, I do, but most of their toys are shared with the minded children.

NikNak
13-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeah I do, but like you all toys are shared with mindees too. It seems a bit of a taboo subject and I feel bit guilty! But I think it is one of the perks of childminging actually! I have even been thinking ahead as far as christmas presents! Am I the only one?! x

sarah707
13-04-2008, 08:21 PM
My 2 are much older, so no I don't do that!

I do buy too much, too often though! :D

Jinx
13-04-2008, 08:30 PM
My 2 are much older, so no I don't do that!

My kids are older too, 3 teenagers and a 7 year old, but they love the toys I buy for the babies I mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Think I must have deprived them as babies and or, made them grow up too quick!
:laughing:
Jinx x

Spangles
13-04-2008, 08:39 PM
I buy things as I see them too!

I don't have a budget, that's way too confusing for me!

I don't put my son's toys that I buy him on my accounts but if I buy something that is meant to be used by everyone and that I wouldn't have bought him otherwise then I do. However, it is tempting sometimes but I don't give in! Ha ha!

crazybones
13-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Do you think I could claim a percentage of the new Mario game for the Wii. I know they are all going to want to play it after school tomorrow. :idea:

Lou
13-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Do you think I could claim a percentage of the new Mario game for the Wii. I know they are all going to want to play it after school tomorrow. :idea:

Absoulutly!!!!

Put it all through, if ever questioned you bought it for the mindees x

manjay
13-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Errr how often? Daily probably. If I can't manage to get to the shops I can usually find something on the internet.

I do't have a budget as such. If I want something and it is not too extortionate I will buy it. I don't put my childrens specific presents (like birthday) through but most other things are bought with mindees in mind and so go through my books

Twinkles
13-04-2008, 09:27 PM
How often ? Most weekends :blush:
I find it hard to go into ELC and not buy something. However, I do buy a lot of second hand stuff.
I have a lean to/conservatory attached to my playroom and it is FULL of toys.
My main weakness is craft stuff though.

Minnie Minx
13-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I buy them if I can afford them or if I see something that catches my eye

Dont even ask about arts and crafts because I cannot pass a shop with out spending

Angel xx

That is so true, when we went shopping you and carol only bought childminding things lol

xx

miffy
13-04-2008, 09:30 PM
That is so true, when we went shopping you and carol only bought childminding things lol

xx

And Angel was even shopping for me too :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

donnahay0
14-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Oh how nice to know that I am completely normal then. I ordered loads of stuff from Toys R Us cost I wasn't going that way and wanted everything yesterday. Then at the weekend I went to Toys R Us and got loads more - heaven knows where I am going to put it all.

I don't budget either - my husband said I should. Now I know everybody else doesn't I don't feel so bad at not being organised.

p.s. my weakness is craft stuff and stationery (my family think i'm bonkers) cos I love it so much.

LittleMissSparkles
14-04-2008, 07:18 AM
I would say I buy something every week without fail.... hubbys usually says do you need that really !!! yes of course I do ...LOL If I see something I think the kids will like I buy it, got lovely hopscotch game ( huge foam shapes that fit together with removable numbers in it ) for £4 and a velcro ball game for £2 from Tesco the other day xxx

LittleMissSparkles
14-04-2008, 07:20 AM
forgot to say hubby took dd shopping to toys r us saturday and bought her 3 disney princess dolls and dd got a nintendo ds with a pokemon game !!!! what did i get ....nothing because I didnt go ....LOL xxx

susi513
14-04-2008, 07:30 AM
My children are a bit older now, the things I bought when they were smaller are now used by mindees so I don't think its wrong to claim for the original purchase. Athough I had my own children in mind when I bought them, by the time they end up in the bin they will have been used by lots of mindees. And I might not have bought them for my own children had I not considered how much use they would have had altogether by mindees too.

Eg, I bought tudor costume for ds's kentwell hall trip and claimed for that. Because he will wear it for just one day. It will then go in the mindee's dressing up box and be worn by various mindees over & over. So although I chose it for ds, I consider it a business purchase as it will be used far more by mindees.

I suppose strictly speaking that sort of purchase ought to be claimed at 50% but I doubt the taxman will ask or care which child played with which toy.

I tend to do a tour of the charity shops every now & again and I pick up other things when I see special offers. But I don't plan my purchases or work out a budget. Probably should!

Gherkin
14-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I buy toys and if everyone uses them they go through the books but if it is truely just for my children and nobody else they don't (honestly most stuff is shared though).

Have an on going battle with dh who says our children have too much - compared to most the people I know who are not childminders they have nothing!!!!

Big Tesco near me which is always too temptong for new equipment too and fell into the ELC when visiting my mum at the weekend and bought a new paddling pool and an outdoor skittles set.

Pauline
14-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I buy when I see a bargain - just got the postman pat set from woolies - half price at £19.99

Can't wait for the kids to come tomorrow - sad or what! :D

cuddlybunny38
14-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I have found our local free cycle so now dont buy hardly anything, but am now addicted to it and got lots of toys and buggys, car seats, highchairs the list goes on , hubby says I need to stop............. he he

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
14-04-2008, 02:40 PM
I tend to buy when I see somethink I think they will like off to an NCT sale in two weeks time never been before so I am really looking foward to it, as we could do with some new toys.

Lorraine xx

Lottie
14-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Hmmm I am buying toys as and when I notice I need something. Longer term I hope I will be 'good' and only buy things when the old one's are on their last legs....

At the moment I am looking for toys to do with disabilities..I don't have any, although I did tell Ofsted I would wrap a dolls leg in bandage. :D

Pauline
14-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Hmmm I am buying toys as and when I notice I need something. Longer term I hope I will be 'good' and only buy things when the old one's are on their last legs....

At the moment I am looking for toys to do with disabilities..I don't have any, although I did tell Ofsted I would wrap a dolls leg in bandage. :D

I've got some dolls with leg/arm removed (checked for safety of course) these are my disabled dolls. I've done this for years, the children have always said that they should be thrown away and so it brings about a discussion that we wouldn't throw them away if they didn't have a leg/arm etc. but we would still love and care for them :)

Lottie
14-04-2008, 03:36 PM
I've got some dolls with leg/arm removed (checked for safety of course) these are my disabled dolls. I've done this for years, the children have always said that they should be thrown away and so it brings about a discussion that we wouldn't throw them away if they didn't have a leg/arm etc. but we would still love and care for them :)

*Notes this down* What a great idea! And a thoughtful response to the children as well.

*Takes a look at Barbie* ...I never liked Barbie when I was younger, maybe time to take her leg off...... :D

deeb66
14-04-2008, 03:41 PM
*Notes this down* What a great idea! And a thoughtful response to the children as well.

*Takes a look at Barbie* ...I never liked Barbie when I was younger, maybe time to take her leg off...... :D

Very funny :laughing:

I used to buy loads of toys and used to set aside a budget each month so that if I needed a big item that was costly then I could buy it after a month or two.

Now I don't do that so much as after all the years of minding I have collected enough toys for a whole school to play with!

I have quite a lot of friends that give me toys when they have a clear out so my toys tend to be updated that way.

I am also a carboot and ebay queen so get a lot from there as well.

Having said all of that I still end up buying loads of bits and bobs when I see them as I think the kids will enjoy playing with them.

Also spend an absolute fortune on art & craft stuff.

Lottie
14-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Now I don't do that so much as after all the years of minding I have collected enough toys for a whole school to play with!

*Makes a big note in bright red crayon- dee has lot's of toys* ;) ;)

manjay
14-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I buy when I see a bargain - just got the postman pat set from woolies - half price at £19.99

Can't wait for the kids to come tomorrow - sad or what! :D

Spooky!I bought this set this morning!! My ds loves it but is struggling to get Pat in his van as his nose is so big:D He is also very confused at me calling the cat Jess. He keeps looking for his big sister

charleyfarley
14-04-2008, 05:22 PM
I do try to cut down, honest, just never seem to manage it.

Constantly buying things whether I really need it or not, I do love a bargain though.

Don't set myself a budget as I'd always go over it anyway :laughing:

Carol xx

button68
14-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Yer!!! Surely 'Guitar Heros III' has to be of some educational value to the mindees!!!! :blush:

Rubybubbles
14-04-2008, 06:41 PM
I am very good:littleangel: I just don't go into town hehe

I spend far to much and have far to much but heyhooo:laughing:

I often put things through my books that 'own' children, as I often think ohhhh the mindies could play with that too, therefore I think that counts hehe, but for example dd loves barbies (3 1/2) but they don't go through as mindies do not play with them;)

Love the idea of arms and legs coming of dolls how fab and cheap is that:thumbsup:

haribo
14-04-2008, 08:30 PM
lol im hunting for a doll i can pull the arm off,what a good idea. ibought a kite for £1 from tesco the other day, not tried it yet, waiting for windy day, and a slam dunk basket ball game for £4 which kept them busy for hours,indoor one.also got some "eyes" for making spiders, they ended up using the lot, was good fun x