PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

tash 1
27-11-2010, 05:16 PM
hi don't no where to start??just finished pre-registration and don't know where to start with what toys and equipment really starting from scratch again as we carbooted all kids stuff few years ago as I was planning to return work as NNEB nursery nurse.I really want to set house up nice with good storage in lounge and kitchen which is childfriendly and easy accessable but storage seems so expensive. would ideally like to start minding in newyear but don't feel confident I will have all the resources to cover all 6 areas of learning see all these wonderful websites some minders homes more like nurseries just want to get it right!

Pipsqueak
27-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I think you need to look at what you DO have and work from there - its not going to be possible (sorry am presuming here) to instantly have loads of lovely resources.

Remember you are a home based childcare provider - you already have tons of stuff in your home at your finger tips - you have kitchen utensils that can be filled, emptied, stirred, shaken, lots of empty (pop/squash) bottles that can be filled with lentils to make a shaker, books that can be looked at etc etc.

Get yourself round the charity shops and pick up jigsaws and stuff and back down to the boot sales - might be worth waiting till after Xmas - as people will be clearing out the old stuff to make way for the new stuff !!!;) lol

tash 1
27-11-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks will give the charity shops a go just need to get chistmas prezzies out of the way then can focus on what to get for minding.tashx

venus89
27-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Also, don't get too much stuff until you know what age range you're going to be started with. Things like books will entertain all of them but you don't want to be buying stacks of Lego and and then find you only have babies......

Penny1959
28-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Also, don't get too much stuff until you know what age range you're going to be started with. Things like books will entertain all of them but you don't want to be buying stacks of Lego and and then find you only have babies......

Agree

If tempted by things in new year sale - buy things that will cover a wide age range such as wooden blocks, role play etc.

And my top tip - and one that I usually forget when buying my resources

Ask yourself - just where am I going to store that?

Penny :)

jane5
29-11-2010, 07:35 AM
yes I agree with the others, look in the charity shops and on ebay, see what you can get cheap.

Buy a few basics like cars, trains, dolls, dolls pram, dressing up clothes, musical instruments, shape sorters, rattles, books (board books are always good because little ones can play with them) and go to the pound shop for art and craft materials. Once you start looking for 'bargains' you will be surprised at how quickly you build up your collection.

Once you have a few basics you can start thinking about what to buy for different age groups.

As for storage I looked on ebay until I found shelving at the right price in the right area.

Make a treasure basket with things like pine cones, shells, wooden nail brush, pastry brush, feathers and pieces of tactile material. :thumbsup: