PDA

View Full Version : Do you find you work better when you are full

Vickster
26-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I am planning on starting slowly. Having a max of 3 under 5 for possibly two mornings a week. The most I will have at one time is 5 (3 under 5 and two reception children. Including 2 children of my own) between 3 and 5.30pm on only two days a week.

Do you think this is too little, will I be motivated with so few? Just worrying I will be too quiet. I am used to having four after school as I have been looking after my friends children for the odd hour a day. They just tend to want to play in the play tents and role play.

Playmate
26-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I have to be honest we work better when we have more spaces filled. At the moment hubby and I are working 2 days a week with only 2 children, which is not cost effective and we can't get motivated :blush:

Curly Quavers
26-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I work better when all 4 of my preschool spaces are being used. Kids are happier with the company and I am far more motivated. :laughing: well most of the time at least

mrs_scottydog
26-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I planned to start off slowly and only have a 2yr old 15-18hrs a week and 1 after school Tues-Fri aswell as my DS. Therefore the numbers you mention seem like a lot! I guess it depends what you'd be happy with Hx

Chatterbox Childcare
27-11-2010, 01:18 AM
I used to think "the more the merrier" and would have up to 14 children at different times in a day. Now I have an assistant and have slowed down and realised that I haven't been too wise. I now have 3 under 5's and my before and after schools and I love it.

Trial and error I think but don't wear yourself out or leave little time for your family if you can afford to.

newandlearning
27-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi... I used to work a lot more hours and was busier doing activities etc.. but have realised over time I really like working with 2yo's + ... as you can do so much more with them and are not focusing on naps, nappies and feeds all day ... when the babies aren't here we get out the junk modelling etc and can get really engrossed with actitivites...

for me its not the number of children which I find a problem but the character and age of the lil ones I've got with me... if you have a screaming baby its really tricky trying to focus on the others... :o

SYLVIA
27-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I work better when places are full, but I quite like it when they are roughly the same age, as this helps when organising activities

manjay
27-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I have reduced the number of children I look after to 5 and things are working much better for me. I have more time to spend with my family and plenty of time to study. I am full of motivation on the days I am looking after the mindees. I think it is easier to start off slowly and increase rather than start off full on and have to reduce numbers.

Good luck x

Vickster
27-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for your comments.

cas2805
27-11-2010, 07:55 PM
One good thing about starting slowly is that it gives you more time to get to know them and their likes & dislikes. Once settled (you and them) you could look at adding others. I have 3 one year olds on different days all boys so this makes planning easier, though DS (also one) has to do each task three days running!