PDA

View Full Version : Naps and the under 5's

Josyjo
26-11-2010, 01:25 PM
I would just like to find out the views of other professionals over the under 5's having a nap in your setting. I have been asked by a parent NOT to allow their 2 year old to have a nap at all in the day time. Would really like some feedback.

:confused:

LeanneC
26-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I think that's a bit mean if the child still needs a sleep. To be honest my dd stopped having naps about 2yrs but that was her choice and sometimes even now when we're in the car for a while she will nod off. I wont wake her though as she obviously needed it. If it affects them at night sleeping, I can't really comment sorry as it never does my dd she sleeps when its bedtime.

Pipsqueak
26-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I would explain to the parent(s) that you will work with their wishes for their child as much as possible but it is frowned upon by Ofsted to deny a child a nap/sleep if they need one. It could also be considered a breech of human rights if we want to go politicial on it (and its a recognised form of torture).

I would NOT deny a child a sleep if they needed one and i would then try to compromise with the parent by saying you will wake the child after 40mins/1 hr etc and try to get them to have a sleep earlier in the day and not after 2pm for instance.

angiemog
26-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I have 3 2 yr olds now and in a similar situation. They are at an age where they may be dropping their naps. One of the parents did request for their child to drop theirs, but she respects my judgement on whether to let him sleep or not. This little one fell asleep at 5.15 during his tea one day last week, and she understood he fell asleep because he was tired. If the children are happy enough playing then I let them play. If they are showing the signs of being extremely tired I let them sleep regardless of what the parent may have said. I think you will find if they are tired at home parents would let them sleep. x

porky1979
26-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a 2 year 6 month and a 3 year 1 month and they both still have a nap in the day (usually about 1 and half hours after lunch), the 3 year old starts afternoon nuresery sessions in Jan so not sure how he will get on with that, I always feel that if children need a sleep then we should let them. Its ok for the parents to say do not let them sleep but if they need it then I think you should let them. :)

Penny1959
26-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I would explain to the parent(s) that you will work with their wishes for their child as much as possible but it is frowned upon by Ofsted to deny a child a nap/sleep if they need one. It could also be considered a breech of human rights if we want to go politicial on it (and its a recognised form of torture).

I would NOT deny a child a sleep if they needed one and i would then try to compromise with the parent by saying you will wake the child after 40mins/1 hr etc and try to get them to have a sleep earlier in the day and not after 2pm for instance.

Excellent advice - It is all about working with the parents to reach a comproise that does deny a child it's right for sleep

Penny :)

PixiePetal
26-11-2010, 05:59 PM

I agree.

At my inspection last week mindee (only 7 months) slept for about 3 hours. I said he was new and usually sleeps for about 2 hours - she asked if I would be waking him up. My answer 'no' as he obviously needs his sleep and I am not going to deny him it. I did say I would consider waking an older child after an agreed time but would not deprive a tired child of sleep. This was obviously what she wanted to hear and agreed with me :thumbsup:

clio0602
26-11-2010, 06:51 PM
My dd 2.5 still has 2 hrs most days and 12hrs at nt. My 12mth old mindees parents wanted me to keep her awake until after lunch and then only let her have an hour. This was a lo who usually slept as soon as we got back from school run :rolleyes:

Anyway over the past couple of wks I have managed to get the sleeps later and later and today she went at 12.05 for an hour and a half. I have told mum that I don't usually wake them but have snack at 2.30 so would prob be woken up with the noise as they sleep in same room.

She is fine with this although stil think she wants an hr max but think we've, sort of, met in the middle.

I don't think its right to keep them awake if they are clearly tired x

Monkey26
26-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I have 4 children on my books who do not nap during the day at home (each child does one day a week childcare), they are 2 or 3 years old.
With me, they nap... I encourage each and every child to have a 30 minute rest period with a blanket straight after lunch; usually they fall asleep and i have said to each parent that if their child falls asleep it is because they need it and i am not gonna refuse them that right. And to me, the fact they usually sleep for 1 hour + shows me they need it :rolleyes: xx

Tinglesnark
26-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree with everyone else :)

butterfly
27-11-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a nearly 3 yr old whose mum doesn't want him to sleep in the day. I let him play if he's not showing signs of tiredness but she knows that if his behaviour starts to deteriorate because he's tired I put him to bed!

He sleeps when he's home with her in the day!

Josyjo
27-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies.

I don't actually put him down for a nap - sometimes he will just fall asleep where he is and I feel it is awful to wake him and then try to keep him awake when he so obviously needs to sleep.

I feel stronger in my resolve to reiterate to Mum about my feelings and his napping - so thank you