PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally a childminder

CHUNKY MONKEY
25-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Hello guys, I am finally at the finishing line as my certificate came through this afternoon:jump for joy: The only thing is they have said I am not registered for over night care which I asked for. The inspector had tried to talk my friend out of this and said it wouldn't be an issue if she wanted to register for overnight care at a later stage as she would just need to write them a letter. She did the same to me and said I would be graded down in my inspection, as I would not be able to prove what I would do if I had a child stay over if I hadn't had any stay over before.:mad: Another thing she said was that I would need a bed for older childer to sleep in. I explained that my DD cot is up to the aged of 8 so wouldn't be a problem as we can and are taking the sides down the start of next year. So not an issue :(

Another issue is I can have 4 under 8 and 2 may be under 5. I have a 22 month old and I am pregnant so can only have schoolies! :( I only wanted 3 under 5's :(

Anyway just glad it has finally happened and we will move next year into a bigger property hopefully to allow for the extra under 5.

Good luck to all of you waiting to be registered or due for an inspection :thumbsup:

Twinkles
25-11-2010, 03:52 PM
First congratulations !! :clapping:

Second your certificate takes into account your own child so you can have two minded under fives now and one when your new baby arrives.

CHUNKY MONKEY
25-11-2010, 04:11 PM
First congratulations !! :clapping:

Second your certificate takes into account your own child so you can have two minded under fives now and one when your new baby arrives.

Baby due in June and I wanted to spend Jan - June with my DD on her own as we have had a lot of play days at our house and I think is is unsettled from having her friends around so much. I didn't want to childmind next year! I wouldn't be able to have any minded children when baby arrives as my certificate states 2 children under 5, so that will be my 2 babies. :D

hannah3
25-11-2010, 10:09 PM
congratulations on being registered.
Hannahx

keeks
25-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Congratulations!!!

I hope you have a lovely few months with your DD, and that things work out nicely when you choose to start minding!

xx

claire'scherubs
25-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Congrats and enjoy

Penny1959
26-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Well done - it is a huge relief when all done.

However think you are a bit confused re wording on certificate and rules about numbers of under 5's.

You can childmind 2 under 5's now - and your own child IS NOT one of those.

So if you wanted to start childminding now you would have a total of 3 under 5's in your care - Your child and two others that you would be looking after.

Once your new baby is born - you will need to tell Ofsted and they will issue a new certificate that will say 'one under 5'. This means you could childmind one under 5 and look after your own 2 children - So as now you would have a total of 3 children under 5 in your care.

As 3 under 5's are the maximum number allowed - it will not make any difference if you move to a bigger house.

Not sure if I have explained that very well but hope you understand.

Good luck both with your new baby and with your childminding whenever you decide to start,

Penny :)

CHUNKY MONKEY
26-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Well done - it is a huge relief when all done.

However think you are a bit confused re wording on certificate and rules about numbers of under 5's.

You can childmind 2 under 5's now - and your own child IS NOT one of those.

So if you wanted to start childminding now you would have a total of 3 under 5's in your care - Your child and two others that you would be looking after.

Once your new baby is born - you will need to tell Ofsted and they will issue a new certificate that will say 'one under 5'. This means you could childmind one under 5 and look after your own 2 children - So as now you would have a total of 3 children under 5 in your care.

As 3 under 5's are the maximum number allowed - it will not make any difference if you move to a bigger house.

Not sure if I have explained that very well but hope you understand.

Good luck both with your new baby and with your childminding whenever you decide to start,

Penny :)

Hi Penny, No I cannot have 3 under 5's. My daughter is included in the numbers as I phoned and questioned this with her. My certificate states 2 under 5's and they take your own children into account with these numbers. I wish your version was the accurate one but sadely not in my case. :( When we move I will be allowed 1 more under 5 as they work out your ratios regarding availabe space.

Thanks for your help though :D

Katiekoo
26-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Hi, ;)
I really would double check with Ofsted, these lovely people on the forum seem to be saying that the number printed on your certificate is the number of children you can look after in addition to your own. This is what I had understand too. I know you have refuted this twice now - and I'm sure you know what you've been told, but do check because it would be dreadful to miss out because of a mis-understanding.Really hope it is true that you can have more little ones! :)

PinkPrincess
26-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Hiya I had my pre reg this week and have a LO who is 2, the inspector told me my cert will say 2 under 5 but this figure does not include my LO, when my LO reaches 5 they will change it to 3 under 5.

I really would double check this out and if it is just 2 then ask why x

melfish
26-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi my certificate says 2 under 5 and 1 under 1, this is because I have a 16month old who is taking up the other under 5 space (of which there are theoretically 3). I have a separate issue with numbers as discussed on another thread, but if the cert says 2 and you have 1 it really means 3 altogether cos yours don't go on the cert. Then when you have 2 the cert will say 1, and if you think it is referring to your own then this will really confuse you!

It is v confusing I don't know why they don't make it easier. I think its cos of the semantics - they can't 'allow' you to care for your own children, as you are allowed as many as you like in theory. They can ONLY limit the number of mindees which is why yours don't appear on there.

Hope I havn't confused you further!

melfish
26-11-2010, 09:31 PM
PS regarding available space did they measure or just guess? I have a small house and have limited over 8s apparently for this reason, but no-one measured the space you see

CHUNKY MONKEY
26-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. Nobody measured just looked around and that's what they told me. I will call Ofsted back as the lady from Trident had already miss informed me of another situation (previously posted on here):rolleyes: I really hope that my DD is not included and I can have another two. :D

Another point is that my friend has 3 children, 5 yrs, 2yrs 9months and 18 months. She was told she couldn't have any more children until her 5 year old goes to school full time in Jan and then she can have 1 under 5. So if your own children are not included, why would she not be allowed to have any children at the moment? I'm confused.com!!!!! :confused:

I'll let you know ;)

melfish
26-11-2010, 09:50 PM
They are included in your numbers, but not included on your certificate. To put it another way, you have 3 spaces altogether no matter how many children you have, but your children each take up one of your 3 spaces. Ofsted only want you to have 3 under 5 in total including your own, but they can only limit your mindees on your certificate, not your children, but the presence of each child brings the number on your cert down by one.

SO cos you have one, they have said you can have 2. When you have 2 they will say you can have 1, and when you have 3 like your friend they will say none.

CHUNKY MONKEY
26-11-2010, 10:01 PM
They are included in your numbers, but not included on your certificate. To put it another way, you have 3 spaces altogether no matter how many children you have, but your children each take up one of your 3 spaces. Ofsted only want you to have 3 under 5 in total including your own, but they can only limit your mindees on your certificate, not your children, but the presence of each child brings the number on your cert down by one.

SO cos you have one, they have said you can have 2. When you have 2 they will say you can have 1, and when you have 3 like your friend they will say none.

:idea: AAAAAH, I think I have it.:doh: Thanks sorry for being so blonde! I will call just to make sure as I don't want to get into trouble. ;)

Playmate
26-11-2010, 10:04 PM
congratulations on being registered :clapping: hope you get your numbers sorted :D

melfish
26-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Cool no worries, I find it a bit baffling too. Just to reiterate, the numbers on your cert refer only to minded children, thus of those you may have 2!!! That is what I meant but it took ages to say it, soz xxxx

miffy
26-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Glad you've got your registration through.

I agree with the others about the numbers on your certificate - think Trident have misinformed you.

Hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

melfish
26-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Who are Trident? The woman I saw told me she was from Tribal. Thought Trident was something to do with nuclear weapons... Tribal sounds wrong too though.

Twinkles
26-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Cool no worries, I find it a bit baffling too. Just to reiterate, the numbers on your cert refer only to minded children, thus of those you may have 2!!! That is what I meant but it took ages to say it, soz xxxx

At least you explained it , I confused myself and gave up :D

CHUNKY MONKEY
27-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I meant tribal!:blush: I told you I was :confused: .com :laughing: Tridant is chewing gum......isn't it?:laughing:

melfish
27-11-2010, 08:44 PM
'The Trident missile is a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) with multiple independently-targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) capability.'

It is also chewing gum! but really it's a 3 pronged spear, Go figure.

I reckon on balance, Trident is a better name!

jane5
29-11-2010, 07:51 AM
'The Trident missile is a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) with multiple independently-targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) capability.'

It is also chewing gum! but really it's a 3 pronged spear, Go figure.

I reckon on balance, Trident is a better name!

Wow, did you know that or google it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chunky monkey, good luck with the minding and the new baby:D

CHUNKY MONKEY
29-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks Jane5 for your well wishes :thumbsup: I was thinking the same thing!:laughing:

melfish
29-11-2010, 01:58 PM
i googled it! I can no longer retain information in my brain - not when google is so quick and easy....

Hmm should have said I knew it then you would think i was clever