PDA

View Full Version : CRB or Police checks

Twinkles
13-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know when the CRB checks came into force ? What year was it ?
I am asking because I've just had a mum come to see me about a place and was highly suspicious because I don't have a piece of paper to show that I've been checked.
I've been minding for fourteen years and when I started it was the old Surrey police checks not CRB. I've never had a piece of paper to show that a check has been done.
When I mentioned it to the OFSTED inspector during my last inspection she said I didn't need to have the CRB as well.
Do any of you other long time minders have just a police check ? If yes do you have a piece of paper to show for it ?
I'm a bit worried now :(

sarah707
13-04-2008, 03:54 PM
One of my mindees hit 16 last June and I asked Ofsted for a CRB for him... they said they 'might as well' do me at the same time.

That was my first CRB in 14 years as well. :D

crazybones
13-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I was registered in 2001 and I have never had one. Have plenty for hubby though. :rolleyes:

miffy
13-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Neither me or hubby have anything to say we've been police checked - I was registered in 1989.

CRB's were def in by 2000 when my eldest was 16 and probably for a while before that but sorry I don't know exactly when

miffy xx

miffy
13-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I was registered in 2001 and I have never had one. Have plenty for hubby though. :rolleyes:

That's interesting because I thought they were in by 2000 not that my son had one then he wasn't CRB'd until other son reached 16 in 2003 but that was due to their oversight

Sorry don't know now:confused:

miffy xx

crazybones
13-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh 'eck maybe I am illegal. :eek: I was definitely reg under old system. I think we were the last group to go through though

miffy
13-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh 'eck maybe I am illegal. :eek: I was definitely reg under old system. I think we were the last group to go through though

Oh Annie no I'm sorry I'm sure you're not illegal

I know when my eldest turned 16 I kept asking about the check (now maybe it was still police checks then not CRB as I thought) and kept being told it was done but it wasn't so when the second one turned 16 I asked again and they were both done at the same time - that was in 2003

I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows for sure

miffy xx

Pauline
13-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Do any of you other long time minders have just a police check ? If yes do you have a piece of paper to show for it ?
I'm a bit worried now :(

I only have the police check. When CRB's came out I had a letter from Children's Information Service saying that I would not need to have one, I keep that letter as proof to parents - not that they have ever asked, I must look honest :D

Twinkles
13-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. I might email OFSTED tomorrow and ask for mine to be done so I've got proof.

sarah707
13-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I asked about this one recently as a friend was saying she ought to have hers updated as it was 3 years old and I got this reply...

Dear Ms xx,
Thank you for your e-mail.
CRB checks do not have an expiry date however its is advisable that they are updated every three years.
Ofsted carry out checks on all registered childminders and other persons living at an address of a registered childminder that are over the age of 16 years.
At the present time we are unable to carry out any updated checks and the checks previously carried out are sufficient.
However should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
Regards
Joanna Wright, Customer Service Advisor
Ofsted - National Business Unit TEL: 08456 404040

So you'll probably be told it's a good idea and sent a form! :rolleyes:

Twinkles
13-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks Sarah :thumbsup:

miffy
13-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Let us know if you ring and get a different answer Twinkles

miffy xx

maz 123
16-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi

I sent forms in for crb check on my sons three years ago i assumed that the results went back to ofsted, I have recently been inspected and was told that they hadn't been done the ibnspecter was quite rude about it and said i hadnt followed the matter up. but I had police checks done on everyone else when the turned 16 and never had any paperwork for them but they were not crb then ,
I have sent all forms now so just waiting. on the forms they want bank details anyone know why they want this.

Maz

Pudding Girl
16-04-2008, 02:21 PM
wow that has surprised me that there are minders out there hwho haven;t got a CRB - , I thought EVERYONE would have to have had a CRB check done when it came in, that they would have maybe said ok existing minders need to have one done when next inspected or whatever, a deadline?

have to say I wouldn't be happy if I were a parent to havea minder who wasn't CRB checked ( also any over 16 in the house)

maz 123
16-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Sorry i think I have put that down wrong we all have police checks except the two younger boys who will be the CRB checked. nobody has yet asked us to update the to crb checks for everyone I filled in forms three years ago but never had any paperwork just assumed ofsted would have these.

charleyfarley
16-04-2008, 04:31 PM
It was definately police checks for us when I registered back in the good old days.

I've never actually been asked to prove I am checked I presume they'll know I am due to being registered.

Carol xx

Rubybubbles
17-04-2008, 01:51 PM
When I ahd a lady come round on tues she asked about my CRB which I have! I showed her and said to be regeisted you need to had the CRB or old police check! I thought you couldn't get reg without??

She also asked about how often they need to be done! So as I knew this post was floating about what do you think? should we have them more often? I guess it would be a bit like updating our stuff IYSWIM I think it would be a good idea :o

ajs
17-04-2008, 03:25 PM
hi i think they came in about 5 years ago

i called ofsted to ask them whether they were going to pay for all childminders to be crbd and they said no they couldn't afford it and anyone who was police checked was fine.
because i had parents asking me i had one done through scouts which the scout association pay for
i also had one done through the sure start children's centre as i am a volunteer for them

casey's mum
18-04-2008, 10:51 AM
I would say 2000...ish. I dont know if it the same for us but when I worked for the council CRB's/Police checks had to be updated every 4 years????

Angela xx

mrsbumbles
18-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I phone Osted about this a couple of years ago,their answer was that because i had been checked out by ss when i started minding that was enough, they didnt seen too bothered about it , it was me that was worry, they basically said the back log of CBR long was and to wait untill i was asked to again by Ofsted to avoid more paperwork :rolleyes:

Cammie Doodle
23-04-2008, 01:20 PM
The only proof I have of us being CRB checked is through our local Scout Group for myself , Hubby and Son . I was told that Ofsted keep our Proof , how true that is I m not sure :rolleyes: , but at least I have some evidence to show if asked ;)
I have been registerd since 1994, Police Checks were order of the day then.
2 years ago I helped open village Nursery and needed to checked, never received any paperwork for that either, but must be ok or Headmistress would not of let me work in her School Nursery.