PDA

View Full Version : Cold conservatory

katieanna
24-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi,
This might be a really silly question but...We have just had a conservatory built and it is FREEZING in there at night at the moment. We only have a freestanding heater that we put on while we are in there, but can the cold damage any of the toys, games or tv that are in there?

Ripeberry
24-11-2010, 09:55 PM
The cold itself won't damage the toys, but it depends how damp it gets in there. Is it double glazed? Do the windows run with moisture when it warms up?
I have a single glazzed sun room and only keep wooden and plastic toys out there. I found to my cost that fabrics would get mold on them due to the damp atmosphere.
But once warmed up it was the same as any room in the house.
I would not keep the TV out there if its more than 50% humidity.

sweets
24-11-2010, 10:33 PM
get an oil filled radiator and keep it on 24/7 they are very economical to run, i have one in my kitchen as no proper radiator in there, its just on low and it takes the edge of the coldness.

my friend has one in her conservatory and its great, makes it usable in the winter. its best to keep it on constant to keep the damp at bay.

Louise B
24-11-2010, 11:00 PM
I had a conservatory last December and it was SO cold out there! When I had my pre-reg visit they advised me to get a radiator, which I was planning on doing anyway. I got a big radiator and now it's just like the other rooms :) I think my radiator man wasn't too expensive, but maybe you could off-set some of the cost?

xx

mushpea
25-11-2010, 07:02 AM
we had one built this year and have had a radiator put in that links to the other radiators in the house so runs of the normaly heating, because its a double radiator its now the warmest room in the house!

Adiamond
25-11-2010, 07:13 AM
We have just had one built and it is freezing in there sometimes, we have a huge double radiator in there too and it does heat it up eventually and then it is toasty warm in there. I think our radiator cost just over £100 and the guy who fitted cost about £50 so not too expensive. x x x