PDA

View Full Version : Messed about by my council for ICP

tiger79
24-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I became registered in August 2010 and have been trying for ages to get on the ICP / Understanding how to set up a Home Based Childcare Service course for ages.

The local council told me they were having difficulty getting enough people on the course so they couldn't give me any dates or times etc.. It was supposed to be 6 2 hour sessions originally - mid-week. I was promised something would be sorted by mid-October.....still nothing.

Next thing I find is that it was going to be 4 Saturdays on the trot 10am till 2pm, not great but I thought at least I can go on the course. They rang and cancelled the first week of the course and said it would now run for TWO Saturdays 4th & 11th Dec 9.30 - 5.30!!!! Not happy! They have even said if for some reason it doesn't run then I will have to do it by distance learning having someone come out to me run through the basics and then have my assignment in by Jan 11th! Have they never heard of Xmas!?

I am really quite angry about this, but the council don't seem to care. They have assured me Ofsted are aware of the problems with me getting on a course (they better be as I have to do it within 6 months of registration!).

I am just worried that a course that normally is spread over 6 2 hour sessions will be jammed into two full days. I just hope I can take all the information in so quickly. What does the assignment entail?? Is it simple - just starting to panic. Could have done with doing this course months ago before I had filled all my places and withou Xmas slap bang in the middle :panic:

Penny1959
25-11-2010, 04:29 AM
As an ex tutor of ICP and someone who has done the DHC unit one- in order to re register (which is the course you should be doing but some do still call it ICP) I feel I can comment.

(DHC is also now being replaced with a unit of the new dipolma - details of this on ncma website)

Yes it is a lot to take in BUT as you are already registered you will have already thought about / implemented things that are discussed on the course - so will not be as daunting as it will to someone who is just starting the process of registering.

Therefore I think you will cope (although a long day and will be difficult to keep on task towards end of day).

DHC unit one - has a multi choice questionaire - you should have opportunity to do / look at a sample one (and if not included on the course - ask for it to be included on second sat). Some of the questions are a bit misleading and you do have to try and think what they really asking - but again as already registered you should not have a problem.

Hope this helps provide a bit of reassurance - any further questions - just ask.

Penny :)

tiger79
25-11-2010, 08:55 PM
As an ex tutor of ICP and someone who has done the DHC unit one- in order to re register (which is the course you should be doing but some do still call it ICP) I feel I can comment.

(DHC is also now being replaced with a unit of the new dipolma - details of this on ncma website)

Yes it is a lot to take in BUT as you are already registered you will have already thought about / implemented things that are discussed on the course - so will not be as daunting as it will to someone who is just starting the process of registering.

Therefore I think you will cope (although a long day and will be difficult to keep on task towards end of day).

DHC unit one - has a multi choice questionaire - you should have opportunity to do / look at a sample one (and if not included on the course - ask for it to be included on second sat). Some of the questions are a bit misleading and you do have to try and think what they really asking - but again as already registered you should not have a problem.

Hope this helps provide a bit of reassurance - any further questions - just ask.

Thanks Penny! So will I have to do a written assignment as well in order to pass the course?

Pixie dust
25-11-2010, 09:14 PM
I think it's a mutiple choice test, well thats what I had to do

Penny1959
25-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks Penny! So will I have to do a written assignment as well in order to pass the course?

Not as far as I know. The old ICP did have written assignments but the DHC unit 1 does not. So should just be the multi choice questionaire.

tiger79
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Not as far as I know. The old ICP did have written assignments but the DHC unit 1 does not. So should just be the multi choice questionaire.

Well I went to day one of my course and yes it's a written assignment, no multiple choice exam!!

They recommend the assignment is 23 pages long - typed!! It's really in depth and seems to be an awful lot of work!

Is anyone else out there doing the course? :eek:

buildingblocks
12-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Sorry I can't help up on this but I can sympathise.

My friend did her ICP introduction 6 x 2 sessions or whatever it is up here. most of the people on the course had to miss one session as the First Aid was organised for the same day (brilliant planning on LA's part). They were supposed to rearrange but haven't run the course since or something similar. Anyway the course was running just before Christmas and the session she needed was the same week as her holiday so she had to come home to do it (she is due her inspection and one of the criteria is to complete the ICP course for registration (or something like that sorry I can't think of the correct wording).

Luckily they were only an hours drive away at Centre Parcs so came home and went back after the course as grandparents were on holiday so she could leave her children there with them.

Allie
14-01-2011, 03:31 PM
In some areas all they are offering is the new cypop5 and in Hampshire this is E-learning only with support from an experienced childminder and an on line tutor

There is no test but you have to build up a portfolio that as well as being your evidence of having done the course and is sent for marking, is also something you can use to when you start work being partly policys and procedures you will need to work as a childminder eg what to do if a safeguarding issue came up. I was tutoring the old style unit 1 and I think this new course will be more useful as it really prepares you to work

Good luck

Allie

funfunfun
14-01-2011, 03:35 PM
mY ICP was multiple choice :)