PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on bad weather please.

jelly15
24-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Now the bad weather is making an apperance I have been thinking back to last year. I had one set of parents, have since moved away, who kept badgering me to say I was close when the weather was icy or snowing, so they could leave work early. I did this once and then they refused to pay me saying I was unavailable to work so they didn't have to.

I live up a private no through road that doesn't get gritted but two sets of parents drive 4x4s and don't have a problem, others park at the end of the road and walk to me. I have always maintained that I am not responsible for the bad weather and I am still open, unlike schools, where teachers have to leave work to get home. The desision to take children home lies with the parents.

What is all your opinions please?

marnieb
24-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I think you're in the right - if parents can get to you SAFELY with their children (make sure they're aware of that!!) then you're available to work, your normal charges apply as you're open and ready for business, if they're snowed in then hard luck to them!!!!

jane5
24-11-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree with you, I intend to stay open in all weathers and its the parents choice whether to bring the lo's or not.

Some people will use the weather as a reason to stay off work even though they could have easily got there.

I have included bad weather to my policy on payment of fees and full fees are to be paid even if they cant get their child to me. I don't have any control over the weather just as I don't have any control over their child being ill!!!

Pipsqueak
24-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I think that is a blooming cheek what those parents done to you - I would have pursued the money vigourously!

Anyway - if you are open then its not your fault if they can't get to you. It would have to be eextreme for me to consider not charging. I have were possible gone and met parents/child, dropped child to an alternative address etc.

MAWI
24-11-2010, 05:24 PM
If your open for business and they cannot get to you, that is not your fault. Youy have turned up for work so to speak. If you are ready for business then I would charge regardless if they turn up or not. Im going to this year.

I made aHUGE mistake last Winter. School closed down, so I decided to look after the school children. All parents were informed school was closed and asked if children could stay with me. Thats fine. We had a lovely day playing in the snow, it did not feel like work and I decided not to charge ( I know you are all screaming at me, NO WAY). Anyway, I did it as a goodwill gesture for one day ( six kids x 8 hours)
The next week , I had to ask parents to pick up twenty minutes early and one of the parents said ' Can you make sure you deduct it off the bill' And that was the thanks I get for looking after their kid for a whole day for nothing!!

I have learnt form experience. Be strong and stand your ground.

The trouble is with a lot of parents they do use the snow as an excuse to get a day off. Two of mine had a day or two off last year form work but their children managed to get to me, so that they could have a nice cosy day at home. LOL

Sorry Rant over, its a touchy subject for me:)

sandy64
24-11-2010, 05:32 PM
i agree its not your fault that it snows(if it is send me loads lol)and if you are available to work you get paid. if you do school runs and cant get out meaning you cant work thats different so stick to your guns its a buisness:)

tashaleee
24-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I had a parent ask me this week what I would do - my answer was im still open... think she was looking to use an excuse not to go to work which I said was fine but if you dont bring x full fees are still due as Im happy to work, I just wont be going out anywhere... she understands and is fine with this (no idea if she will go into work or not) :thumbsup:

jelly15
24-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks all, glad we are all of the same mind. I must say it is nice when all of the mindees have not come in and I have an unexpected day off and still get paid, not like when they are ill and I get a paid day off, as I feel a bit guilty for enjoying it when they are suffering.