PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy and Childcare Business

pinesidedenver
24-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello

I am looking for advice regarding working pregnancy in conjuction with my childminding bussiness. I am making plans to have another child of my own in the new and wondered if anyone can advice me on how this would affect my business? Been self employed is all new to me and I know that if I worked for an employer I would be entitled to both maternity leave and pay but since I am self employed how would this work with my own business. Am I entitled to take time of etc to spend time with my baby after the birth and how would that work pay wise with my exsisting cusomers. I would be grateful on any feed back on this matter so if you think you can help/advice me please get in touch. :)

sarah707
24-11-2010, 05:55 PM
If you choose to take time off it would be unpaid and you might lose your existing families, that is a chance you take being self employed.

You may be entitled to benefits depending on your NI contributions to date, you need to check with the Tax Office for more information.

Good luck with it all! :D

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
24-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Your current parents would not have to pay you anything, If you have been paying NI contributions then you would be entitled to SMP which is £120 per week for 9 months

HTH

Fabby
24-11-2010, 06:51 PM
I have cancelled all contracts and starting a fresh next september. I am finishing at christmas when my maternity allowance starts which is £124 per week for 39 weeks.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
24-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I have cancelled all contracts and starting a fresh next september. I am finishing at christmas when my maternity allowance starts which is £124 per week for 39 weeks.

I wish i had taken a leaf out of your book! Im 34 weeks pregnant absolutly HUGE and not stopping till ive had the baby, although Im planning on getting this one out early!

georgie456
24-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I arranged maternity cover for my mindees with other cm's I work closely with so could relax knowing that once my maternity leave finished I would definitely be getting them back. I ended up taking the full 9 months on the Maternity Allowance and still saw mindees regularly as I saw the other minders daily on the school run and at toddler groups.
I did work up to 37 weeks which almost killed me though!!!!
Google 'maternity allowance' and it should direct you to the DWP site for info, but as others have said, if you are making NI contributions you will be entitled to MA.

pinesidedenver
25-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Thanks Guys

For getting back in touch that has helped me a lot as I didn't think I would be entitled to any mat pay will google it now and look further into my options. Just have to decide on when I want to start matty leave will wait and see what way the pregnancy taked me health wise etc.