PDA

View Full Version : Conjuntivitus - what's the advice?

butterfly
24-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi! I've got conjunctivitus running spreading through my kids like wildfire! The advice given to parents from the doctors are either 'it's not contagious after you start using drops' or 'have 24 hrs off from the cm'! However they're all getting it including my own two! I don't have an exclusion time on conjuntivitus and just wondered whether anyone else does?

Also will it clear from a child by itself or do I have to get drops?

kindredspirits
24-11-2010, 02:07 PM
i ask them to stay out until its cleared up - once treated it should only be a few days - you just can't expect a child not to touch their eye and then something else.

clareg
24-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi, I have dug out "Infectious diseases & Children, Guidence for Childminders".
According to the exclusion chart for Conjunctivitis it states Incubation period 2-3days, Infectious period During active infection, (as long as the eye is excreating gunk and crusty) Exclusion period Until infection Clears. Conjunctivitis will not clear on it's own so eye drops for your lil one too.. Hope this helps :)

butterfly
24-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi, I have dug out "Infectious diseases & Children, Guidence for Childminders".
According to the exclusion chart for Conjunctivitis it states Incubation period 2-3days, Infectious period During active infection, (as long as the eye is excreating gunk and crusty) Exclusion period Until infection Clears. Conjunctivitis will not clear on it's own so eye drops for your lil one too.. Hope this helps :)

Thanks for that advice! Can I ask where you got your booklet from?

TammyN
24-11-2010, 02:35 PM
ive only got schools and nursery booklet, is the childminder one any different, i would like to see it if poss?

Blaze
24-11-2010, 04:24 PM
The latest one says there is no exclusion but if there is an out break to contact your local HPU.

miffy
24-11-2010, 08:52 PM
There might not be an official exclusion but as you're self-employed it's up to you to decide the rules of your business.

I do exclude for conjunctivitis because it is spread so easily - you can't expect littlies not to rub their eyes and not touch toys.

Once treated it usually only takes a couple of days to clear.

Miffy xx