PDA

View Full Version : Frequently Asked Questions

sarah707
13-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm trying to put together a list of frequently asked questions for EYFS for a project I am working on...

I've had a look back through the threads and come up with quite a few eg.

- the problems with free flow to outside

- no funding

- how do we liaise with someone who doesn't want to liaise with us?

- what about our own children?

- parents not wanting us to use it (thank you John)

- working with other settings ...

Please, any others? :D

crazybones
13-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Length of time we have the child with us? i.e I have one for 45 mins after school.

miffy
13-04-2008, 08:03 AM
whose overall responsibility is it - ie is responsibility shared equally between settings regardless of the time the child spends there or is the main responsibility that of the setting where the child is longest iyswim

how much are we expected to do when a child attends only once a week say for two hours

confidentiality - where do we draw the line/ do parents have any rights in this

practicalities - settings may be miles apart - are we expected to discuss children's progress by phone or e-mail - again what about confidentiality

miffy xx

Tatia
13-04-2008, 08:45 AM
What's the best way to record information (observations)

What's the dif between long, medium and short-term planning

sarah707
13-04-2008, 08:47 AM
confidentiality - where do we draw the line/ do parents have any rights in this

miffy xx

Not sure what you mean... ? Can you clarify for me please? :huh:

miffy
13-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Not sure what you mean... ? Can you clarify for me please? :huh:

Parents may be happy to share information with childminders but not want it passed on to playgroup/nursery/school so where do we draw the line - are we supposed to share all information or do the parents have any rights in what info is shared - how can we work in partnership with parents properly if we are not able to respect their wishes (sorry may be a bit deep for what you're wanting)

miffy xx

sarah707
13-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Parents may be happy to share information with childminders but not want it passed on to playgroup/nursery/school so where do we draw the line - are we supposed to share all information or do the parents have any rights in what info is shared - how can we work in partnership with parents properly if we are not able to respect their wishes (sorry may be a bit deep for what you're wanting)

miffy xx

Ah ok, yes I see what you mean... it's not too deep just going to take some thinking about... I hadn't considered it from that angle. Thanks! :D

cuddlybunny38
13-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Also dont know if its part of this but most schools wont share information with you unless you are the parent so how will this change will they be happy to share information on a personal level with us. I know they tell us things to pass on to parents but will they tell us ovether thinhs.

Heaven Scent
13-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Surely we should be given the general information provided by playgroups schools and nurseries in order that we know what is happening eg my mindee started playgroup last week and the childs wellies that I sent home at christmas appeared back in a canvas bag on the second day of plaqygroup and I thought that they had finally got around to sending them back after the christmas break but when I went to collect her on Thurs I noticed a sign saying to send wellies in a drawstring bag - why wasn't I told this? I find it hard enough to keep up with what is going on in my childrens schools and after school activities etc without trying to be inspired about what goes on in playgroups.
Also the other child who started with me on Mon stays at playgroup for lunch on a Wed. When she came out of pg I thought she was missing something but I didn't know what - She almost forgot her hat and scarf but I noticed them on the bench near the peg she hung her coat on in the morning. I asked the woman who had the signing out book on the door and she didn't seem to think there should be anything else - but there was the lunch box which is kept on the other side of the cloak room I only found this out when dad came to collect in the evening and I realised we had no lunch box. I had to make a special trip to get it on Thurs - life would be so much easier if they would just tell us what the proceedure is don't you think or give us a copy of any information so we can be prepared.

That is working in partnership if you ask me - anyone else have these problems?

mjw
13-04-2008, 03:46 PM
If we are the main carers for a child as the child only goes to playgroup 1 or 2 mornings a week should they be following our planning inorder to give the continuity of care rather than us always trying to follow what they are doing at playschool?!
Mary

Heaven Scent
13-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeh Mary, go girl, put the cat amongst the pigeons there - imagine enforcing that.

On this subject all I would do is say that I spoke to the teach(s)/practitioner(s) and found out what the child/ren are doing each term and I will talk about it and perhaps find a way in which we cna link it to our daily activities by having puzzles, books etc on the subject available for the child what more can we do when we have our own planning to do.

The other alternative is that we divide each half term/ term into the number of children we have and do only short term planning for these weeks and cover all topics being covered by the playgroups/schools and then try to include other things such as festivals etc.

I do feel its unfair that we have to do all this and they don't. At the moment I have 3 different settings planning to follow for 3 children (I'm not doing it for a child that I have in the holidays only) Do I have to do it for children in year 1? - If not I'm down to 2 both preschoolers.

sarah707
13-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeh Mary, go girl, put the cat amongst the pigeons there - imagine enforcing that.

I do feel its unfair that we have to do all this and they don't. At the moment I have 3 different settings planning to follow for 3 children (I'm not doing it for a child that I have in the holidays only) Do I have to do it for children in year 1? - If not I'm down to 2 both preschoolers.

Personally I think it would be wonderful if we all went into nurseries / pre-schools armed with our routines and planning and said, 'There you go, this is what I am doing this half term following J's interests, I will update you on Wednesday!' :p

Errr... you have to follow it for a holiday child... so does anyone who looks after children in the holidays. See 'Will before— and after-school clubs and holiday play schemes have to offer the EYFS?' about half way down this link...

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/clarificationsandfaqs/

The ages covered by EYFS are... from birth to the 31 August following their fifth birthday... hope that helps! :D

Monkey1
13-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Sarah, i 'presumed' it was till they turned 5!:blush:

Heaven Scent
14-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Will follow EYFS but will do my own planning for the hols and not be concerned with what went before or after with schools, playgroups and nurseries.

Sorry if you thought I ment I wouldn't be following EYFS once the hols came just not following what the shcool does in term time with holiday only child that I have for 18 hrs per week and have no contact with the school.

We only need to do EYFS for children in the age bracket don't we so once outside this bracket then then we can adapt the planning to suit them but surely we don't need to do much else except keep our own records as we wish.

I am right here aren't I Sarah?

angeldelight
14-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey do we all get a discount on your books Sarah if we are helping you with research ?! haha

Angel xx

deeb66
14-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Hey do we all get a discount on your books Sarah if we are helping you with research ?! haha

Angel xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sarah707
14-04-2008, 05:03 PM
We only need to do EYFS for children in the age bracket don't we so once outside this bracket then then we can adapt the planning to suit them but surely we don't need to do much else except keep our own records as we wish.

I am right here aren't I Sarah?

Absolutely... as things stand at the moment...

HOWEVER!! the powers that be haven't decided what they are doing with the 5 - 8 agegroup yet... so we don't really know! :(

sarah707
14-04-2008, 05:04 PM

Angel xx

Cheeky! :rolleyes:

Actually, if I use your question, you get the pleasure of seeing your name in print... :D

miffy
14-04-2008, 05:06 PM

Angel xx

Trust you! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

miffy xx

mrsbumbles
14-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Who do we turn to if we have a problem?

This is a grey area i think and be helpful if it was explained more.

miffy
14-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Who do we turn to if we have a problem?

This is a grey area i think and be helpful if it was explained more.

We come on here and ask Sarah :)

miffy xx

mrsbumbles
14-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Ha Ha i knew someone would say that :laughing:

But you know what i mean????

Like confidentual stuff, i had a child abuse case in my setting and i was in desperate need to talk to someone about it, i spoke to my development worker in the end , but it would be nice to know exactly who to turn to when we need help.

flora
14-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Length of time we have the child with us? i.e I have one for 45 mins after school.

I was wondering this too. Some days R is dropped off at 3.15pm and collected at 3.45pm!!! How do I plan for that???