PDA

View Full Version : medication not prescribed

TRACEY1969
23-11-2010, 08:15 AM
A mindee was abit hot so i called dad (dad doesn't work but mom does) to come and get her. 3 hrs later (he said he had job interview) he brought some calpol and ask me to write a letter for him so i can give it to her every 4hrs (dad didn't want to take mindee home) The calpol wasn't prescribed by the doctor it was just brought over the counter. I said i couldn't give it to her so he did, he didn't sign the form either as i wrote i needs to be prescribed by the doctor. I was told by me DO everything had to be prescribed and medication form filled out by parents and this is also stated in my medication policy (polices updated every 6 months and given to parents last one was 5 weeks ago) he said this was rubbish because when his eldest mindee went to nursery 4 years ago this didn't matter if it wasn't prescribed, i always thought everything had to be prescribed and record forms filled out. Is he right.

p.s Dad won't look after mindees even though he isn't working don't know why.

marnieb
23-11-2010, 08:30 AM
who knows why some parents don't work but send them to minders... :huh:

Anyhoo..... you're right, ALL meds need to have a prescibed label on them, and the relevant permisssion forms signed. It changed I think about 2 years ago, so when your parents oldest child was little, it was okay for a nursery to give meds, but that is def not the case now!!!!

tell mum that next time she goes to the drs to get a bottle of calpol prescibed for the lo that can be left at your house. All drs are used to it now and I haven't heard of one having a problem prescibing it yet...!!!

singingcactus
23-11-2010, 08:33 AM
I think it is up to you whether you agree to give unprescribed meds or not.

I personally don't, because I think calpol and the likes are overused and inappropriately used and I will not take a part in giving a child unnecessary meds.

I will only give prescribed meds, and I really wouldn't care what some bloke, who doesn't want to care for his own child and would rather inappropriately medicate than find a better way to cool his child down, says.

But that's just me :D

Daftbat
23-11-2010, 08:38 AM
You are allowed to take authorities to give non prescriptive medicines to children in your care. Its up to you I suppose if you do it or not but I take the view that if a child has a temperature then I should be trying to reduce it even if the parent is on their way to collect the child. I incorporate it in to suncreams and teething gel authorities too.

You obviously need to fill in the medication book as normal and check by phone if there has been any medication given earlier and confirm with the parent what you are doing.

RainbowMum
23-11-2010, 08:41 AM
The 1st draft of the eyfs stated meds had to be prescribed but they changed it in the second draft. Parental permission is needed in writing but I believe a text message counts as written permission - I may be wrong - Sarah, your thoughts please?

mama2three
23-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Its your choice !

You are 'allowed' to administer calpol , teething gels etc with full written permission from the parents. But its your business so you can decide you do not wish to do this.

Playmate
23-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Its your choice !

You are 'allowed' to administer calpol , teething gels etc with full written permission from the parents. But its your business so you can decide you do not wish to do this.

Yes it is and choice between you and your parents. I always get permission before giving any medication and document it, but I certainly do not expect parents to get paracetemol or Ibuprofen perscribed. I will not be held resonsible for a child having a febrile convulsion over such stupid rules. Having seen how quickly my own dd's temp went up and her convulsing I would not wish that on any other child. If a parent can by this medcine over the counter then why should they waste GP's valuable time! As long as the child has had the medication previously, I'm happy to administer it. Many of my parents work in London and incur at least an hours travelling time, that could be to long for a child that develops a fever.

AliceK
23-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I have and will give Calpol / Ibuprofen for children if a parent had given me permission AND I feel they need it but if a child was poorly enough to not be capable of joining in and playing in a normal day then they would be sent home. As long as everything is documented and signed there is not a problem.

xxxx

Zoomie
23-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Pharmasists (sp?) can prescribe meds too. They don't have to have a label.

I would give calpol or similar with parental permission.

miffy
23-11-2010, 11:02 AM
This is the latest guidance from Ofsted

http://ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Giving-medication-to-children-in-registered-childcare

Miffy xx

AliceK
23-11-2010, 11:59 AM

http://ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Giving-medication-to-children-in-registered-childcare

Miffy xx

Thanks. That clears it up then :thumbsup:

I also write down the lot number and expiry date on my forms too.

xxxxxx

Playmate
23-11-2010, 10:32 PM

Miffy xx

thank you Miffy I shall print that off as I always seem to be arguing with people over this one :D

TheBTeam
24-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Pharmasists (sp?) can prescribe meds too. They don't have to have a label.

I would give calpol or similar with parental permission.

Yes the guidance takes prescribed to be a recommendation which could be from a pharmacist or nurse practitioner.

Pipsqueak
24-11-2010, 05:14 PM
(the meds thing has been done so....)

As to parent refusing to take the child home.... if you have requested that they take the child home then I am sorry i would have been insisting. If you determine that a child is not well enough to be at your setting then I would be calling the other contacts if one parent cannot/willnot collect.

ruddy cheek