PDA

View Full Version : Asking for references

Minstrel
22-11-2010, 07:00 PM
When I gave notice to parents as I was going on mat leave, I put in the letter that if they could give me a written reference before they left that I would be very grateful.

Well as you could have guessed not one of them did- out of 4!

Do you think it would be ok to text them all to ask again? I'm sure they all would (left on good terms) but just needing prompting for me to receive it.

How many parents do you ask for references and how many do you receive?

Is it better to get written ones or just ask if you pass on phone numbers?

Thanks for your opinions and experience on this.

grindal
22-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I usually hand out a proforma reference - just a sheet of prompt like questions with a stamped addressed envelope. That said - my last parent that left has never returned mine. Hmmm, think i will text them.

sarah707
22-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I got a nice reference recently from a little one who left but that's the first in many years!

I always ask but they usually forget :rolleyes: :D

PixiePetal
22-11-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a few - mostly recent ones as I am better at remembering to ask!

I keep them in my file with cards and comments from parents/kids and Ofsted liked them this week when I had my inspection :thumbsup: Good parent/CM relationship (and I am proud of the comments too :)

The Juggler
22-11-2010, 07:50 PM
i keep any cards I get rather than ask for a reference but if you're not getting replies I'd do a short 'leavers survey'. You can leave an open section at the end for comments.

think what you'd like prospective parents to know about you in a refernece and then think up 4 or 5 questions to which will help show that. You could make it 'graded' questions to show new parents how satisfied they are or try more open questions so they get more of an idea of what you do i.e. 'what things do you like' or 'how do you think I provide.....'

If you've got any annual surveys you've done before, just show these to your new parents.:)

loocyloo
22-11-2010, 07:51 PM
i always ask, and out of the last 4 or 5 who have left - NONE! although one parent did email it from their new home in new zealand !!!

reminds me, i need to remind ask my last 'leaver' ( as i had him & his sister for 8 years !!! )

x

Minstrel
22-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I have some questionaires that parents filled in when I had my inspection..... do you think if I blacked out the children's names that it would be ol to show them to prospective parents. I also have a lovely card that another parent gave me so I could add that.

Good idea about the leavers questionnaire, will start work on that. I think it's easier for people to fill out a pre-made form than make up something themselves.

What sort of questions do you ask?

miffy
22-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I've always found leaving references a bit hit and miss - some parents just forget and it's a pain chasing people up.

I keep cards from parents and children and have them in a file to show prospective parents.

You could ask current parents if they would be willing to speak to any prospective parents - my last leavers who gave me a reference actually put in it that they would talk to new parents if needed.

Miffy xx

Helen Dempster
22-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I always ask...and then remind them when they forget :laughing: I always like to have a written reference on file for any potential parents (and not only that, it gives you a bit of a confidence boost too).

The Juggler
23-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I have some questionaires that parents filled in when I had my inspection..... do you think if I blacked out the children's names that it would be ol to show them to prospective parents. I also have a lovely card that another parent gave me so I could add that.

Good idea about the leavers questionnaire, will start work on that. I think it's easier for people to fill out a pre-made form than make up something themselves.

What sort of questions do you ask?

I'm not sure I'd even blank out the names hon. if you ask for a reference they are likely to put the names in which indicates they would be happy for the prospective parents to see. At the end of the day they won't know who those children are to link them to the names and it's unlikely they'lll remember the names when they leave.

I asked v. similar questions to my annual/pre- ofsted survey, linked to ECM, how I help to enjoy and achieve, happy with value for money, feel they have enough time to talk to me, enough communication. Can e-mail the one I did in the summer if you pm your e-mail hon.

Minstrel
23-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Hi thanks Juggler that would be very kind!