View Full Version : Advice Needed!!

22-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Everyone
I am doing my ICP course,I want to know do we need a big house to become a childminder.I am living in a rented property and its a one bedroom apartment ,planning to shift to a bigger one but after become childminder and got some children too.Is small house effect the number of children they will assign .I would be happy if they willgive me two childern only,just to start my business.
Please advice me do i need to shift to a big house before they visit me!!1


22-11-2010, 06:23 PM
It's hard to say without having Ofsted round for a visit.

They are the best people to advise you.

Good luck! :D

22-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Does your area have a local childminding support team? like the people you booked your icp course through? mine do and offer guidance visits to help you get started.

I would say it depends on the size of the area of the apartment you can offer for play and whether you have access to outside play is a big must for Ofsted.

If you have any children of your own they too will come out of the numbers ofsted allow you.

good luck;)

23-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I know a cm who has a very small house and no back garden.

Ofsted work out the how many children you can have per square foot of space (or something like that) but I am almost sure you will be able to have a couple of lo's.

My friend gets round the no garden issue because she has a park close by and had worked out the route, risk assessments etc... and ofsted where happy with that.

Sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

06-12-2010, 12:16 PM
hi everyone

thanks for ur advice. I hv decided to stay in the same home only .Tommorow is my icp exam ,really worried ,practicing the sample questions ,hope get 15/25.


14-01-2011, 06:18 PM
I have passed my ICP exam .I have send my registeration application forms and doctors health declaration form too, he charged me £30.Now i am waiting for the acknowledgement.Could anyone tell me what is the next step,from now how long it will take for my pre-reg visit.Should i start preparing for my inspection,do i need policies and other paper work for my pre-reg visit.
What r the important things which should be ready or completed for my pre- reg inspection.

17-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Congratulations on passing:clapping:

In my area the process takes about 12 weeks form sending your forms in.

Fill in the questions in your booklet as they ask you all of those and you are allowed to refer to the booklet when answering.

They want to know that you understand the eyfs.

They advise you on things you need to do in your home but try and have the things you think you will need like fire guard or safety gate if you are going to use them.
They like to see you have ofsted poster, safeguarding policy, complaints policy. Cant remember any more at moment but thats something to start with :thumbsup:

21-01-2011, 02:20 PM
thankyou jane for your advice.They received my application form and send me CRB forms,now i hv to fill it and send them back ,a lot of paper work..