PDA

View Full Version : 2yr old dd sick in the night, do I close?

Mcgons
22-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Sorry I'm rubbish at this and not sure what I should do. She was sick twice in the night, has had same food as everyone else so it's not something she has eaten. Do I close or let parents decide? Help!

Dh said if she went to childcare and I was out at work, I wouldn't send her and stay at home with her without a doubt so he said that answers my question. But feel guilty!

Tink
22-11-2010, 07:10 AM
My DD was sick Friday and I informed parents not to bring their children in, there's nothing worse than feeling sick and having other children around.
They always say to give it 24 hours for the bug to pass, so I would phone parents and ask them to make other arrangements and you will call them later today about tomorrow, hope she feels better soon xx

candy cat
22-11-2010, 08:30 AM
It is normally close for 48 hours of last bout of sickness to avoid an outbreak.x

sarah707
22-11-2010, 08:31 AM
What does your policy say?

Mine is 48 hours from the last bout for minded children and the same for my family / me.

I hope your dd is feeling better soon! xx

Andrea08
22-11-2010, 08:35 AM
sorry but i agree you need to close, i had to close for a full week becuse 4 of us in the house became ill...and yes parents docked my money :( but as a parent i would not want to send my child if there was a chance they could become ill..

hope she feels better soon xxx

Ripeberry
22-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Sounds like the D&V bug, so you will need to close for 48 hours. I had a right time of it last year, the evening before I was ill and I rang the mum not to send in (my only mindee) the next day and she goes "Oh, I was just going to ring you to say that HE is ill as well".
But because I rang first I lost money :angry:

Mcgons
22-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the advice!

My policy is 48 hrs, but wasn't sure if she had a sick bug as she was sick last week from crying so much in the car (terrible two's!) and she has been coughing in the night so sometimes the sickness is triggered by something else. She's not right though, I can't leave the room without her crying and she's shattered, so I did close today and will see how she is later.

1 parent has swopped a day for later in the week and doing xmas shopping today and the other did extra hours this weekend so doesn't mind being off today, so I don't feel too bad letting them down!

Chimps Childminding
22-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Hope she is feeling better soon!!! Its is always difficult to know what to do for the best, you don't want to let people down, but at the same time you want to be there if your child needs you when they are feeling poorly, and you also don't want to risk giving a bug to someone else.

As you have said coughing can make a child sick, especially if they are full of cold, so only you can know what is the best thing to do about tomorrow. I would be inclined to see how she is later and even if she hasn't been sick again if she is still clingy and upset (and you can afford to) I would take tomorrow off as well. Sometimes our families have to come first :thumbsup:

ChocolateChip
22-11-2010, 12:42 PM
My policy is 48 hrs for either mindees or myself/ own kids so I would close if it was just me there to look after them.

Having said that on a couple of occasions my oh has been off, or my mum has been able to come round and sit with the poorly one upstairs (well, child in own bed and adult watching tv in my room but on call iyswim) so I have contacted parents and given them the choice of attending or not- they all came.

miffy
22-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice!

My policy is 48 hrs, but wasn't sure if she had a sick bug as she was sick last week from crying so much in the car (terrible two's!) and she has been coughing in the night so sometimes the sickness is triggered by something else. She's not right though, I can't leave the room without her crying and she's shattered, so I did close today and will see how she is later.

1 parent has swopped a day for later in the week and doing xmas shopping today and the other did extra hours this weekend so doesn't mind being off today, so I don't feel too bad letting them down!

If your policy is 48hours then that should apply either way. If you don't close for that time when you or your family are ill then parents could argue that you should accept their children back earlier if they say they are OK.

Hope your dd is feeling better soon, there seems to be so many bugs going round atm

Miffy xx

CHUNKY MONKEY
22-11-2010, 09:24 PM
If they've been sick twice you should close. HPA states 48 hours! Hope this helps :D