PDA

View Full Version : EYFS and other settings

BlondeMoment
21-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Recently had my Ofsted inspection and was given two recomendations: One was to collect more ethnic and diversity equipment. No problem, I'm on that. But the other was to have more contact with my mindees' other settings (nurseries) about their EYFS development.

I've no idea how to go about this. I have contact with the school I work from re my 4 year old mindee. I handed his teacher my observations etc to help her kick start her files (as advised by NCMA) and we talk regularly when I collect him etc.

But as for the others, I don't see any of them as they go to their nurseries on different days to me. Am I supposed to just ring them? What do I say? I'm sure they're not going to give me a load of info re the children in their care when they don't even know who I am?

Don't get how I can work on this one really.
Any suggestions?

hello kitty
21-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Why don't you ask the parents to help.

You could give a letter of introduction and a permission slip from parents to share information and maybe a notebook to jot down obs or planning and ask the parents to contribute to it too. The parents could then take it to nursery with them. I have found it has more impact if the parents get involved in it too. ;)

BlondeMoment
21-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Why don't you ask the parents to help.

You could give a letter of introduction and a permission slip from parents to share information and maybe a notebook to jot down obs or planning and ask the parents to contribute to it too. The parents could then take it to nursery with them. I have found it has more impact if the parents get involved in it too. ;)

Could try it I guess. It's just that then you have to rely on the parents to take info back and forth and to be honest I can't see alot of mine being that bothered. I've sent devepment books home never to be seen again, and they don't even bother to read what I put i their day to day notes. Gonna be a nightmare I think :(

rickysmiths
21-11-2010, 11:06 PM
None of my contacts share in that detail and nor has it occured to me to share my devlopment sheets with them, surely we all have enough to do without giong into that kind of detail. I talk to them about the topics I am covering in each half term and I get a copy of their half termly planning sheet, if they have one! One pre-school has the half termly planning outside on a notice board and I tell them of activities I may have done to support theirs. Quite informal though and nothing written down unless I link to something we have done in their LJ..

The same with los Reception Class teacher. We have seen each others Learning Journeys as well. I get a copy of the class newsletter each week which outlines what they have done and will be doing.

Personally I don't think unless there is a problem with development, that we should be too envolved, it is the los parents that should be communicating about their child with the schools etc.

Chimps Childminding
22-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I agree with Rickysmiths!! To be honest at the moment I only have one mindee at a Nursery and it is our local one so I take and collect him on the 1 day a week I have him that he goes to Nursery. They give me (or I borrow and photocopy out of his bag) a copy of their newsletter which has a list of their theme/topic for the term so I know what they are doing. I have sent in his "All about me" book to look at - though nothing written in it! but apart from that really neither they, nor I have the time to spend following up things. Plus I know there are at least half a dozen cm at school so they cannot possibly take time to speak to us all about each child in our care.

I know Ofsted are hot on this, but to be honest I don't know quite how they expect us or Nurseries to find the time :rolleyes: Sorry if I sound a bit fed up about it all at the mo, but I am (paperwork is getting me down) :( next thing is they will be wanting us to speak to grannie or auntie flo that the child goes to on the days they are not with us :laughing:

Minstrel
22-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I don't know how OFSTED would ever know.

I had a baby one day a week and she went to a nursery for another day and grandparents for a third.

Mum would give me a low down on what was new that week (teething, new foods, bumps etc) and that was enough. I jotted down as communication from parent and Ofsted never asked of she went anywhere else so I didn't tell them! (she was here when I had my inspection).

BlondeMoment
22-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I know what you mean. I just can't see how I can do this without making a pain of myself. The parents always tell me anything I need to know re the children and anything new they're doing etc.

So hard to please Ofsted :(