PDA

View Full Version : Mileage allowance

Jinx
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Am I right in thinking that the mileage allowance is still only 40p per mile! Just looked it up and the info I've got dates back to 2002. Surely it should have gone up by now!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
Got my tax return form this week, it's pretty full on isn't it! :eek: Glad my dad's an accountant.:D

Jinny:thumbsup:

Sorry, got to slow down on these funny little 'smiles':jump for joy: , but they are soooo cute!:laughing: :laughing:

sarah707
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Yes it's still 40p a mile and if you claim for it this way, you cannot claim for % of tax, insurance, MOT, capital allowance etc as that is all counted within the 40p... :D

ma7ie
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Yes it's still 40p a mile and if you claim for it this way, you cannot claim for % of tax, insurance, MOT, capital allowance etc as that is all counted within the 40p... :D

Sarah, I was wondering if petrol came under the 40p per mile. Do you know?:D

sarah707
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Sorry, I should have said... yes! The 40p a mile is all you can claim... for everything related to car expenses, if that's the way you choose to go.

Is that what you meant? :D

ma7ie
12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Yes, thanks Sarah. Was wondering about it the other day and forgot to ask. :D

Jinx
12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry, being a little thick here,,,,could be the wine!:blush: , how do you work out the other way of claiming then? Which is best?

Thanks, Jinny x

miffy
12-04-2008, 05:14 PM
The other way is called capital allowance

Are you an NCMA member because there is advice in the member's handbook or I'm sure your dad would know

miffy xx

Jinx
12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I'll have a look in the NCMA book then. Thanks Miffy. Actually, think it might be time I invited my dad (and mum) round for a drink, or 2!!!!! Get him to look at the paperwork before we open the wine though!!!!!:laughing:

Jinx x

John
12-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't drive but have a bicycle and you can clame 40p a mile lol I've never clamed but was told today just should start.

John.

hello kitty
12-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Great website John.

Spangles
13-04-2008, 06:59 PM
I am just checking!

I am trying to finish off last years accounts.

When I started in September I put the extra cost of my car insurance to make it business cover on my accounts but since then I have been putting on 40p per mile for trips.

I think from the above that I can only do one of these so is it okay on the last week to cancel out the car insurance cost by adding a note and a minus figure to make it right?

Do you see what I mean?

Sorry this could be the first of such ridiculous questions on accounts!

miffy
13-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm sure that will be OK :)

miffy xx

sarah707
13-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I think from the above that I can only do one of these so is it okay on the last week to cancel out the car insurance cost by adding a note and a minus figure to make it right?

Yes I don't see any problem with that. :D

Spangles
13-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks Sarah and Miffy.

This is a nightmare! I've kept up to date from Sept to beg of March but I haven't done any of the % for elec/gas, etc so I've got to tot up my weeks and put it all down and I'm not looking forward to it!

I feel an Excel spreadsheet coming on!

miffy
13-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I know I hate this time of year - my self assessment form landed on the mat on Friday and I felt my stomach sink!

Still I love it when it's all done :)

miffy xx

amyk
13-05-2008, 10:20 PM
just found this thread, just want to ask a Q related to this.........

i pick up a girl a few towns away from where i live, once in the morning and drop at school, and then same journey again in the afternoon.
in my car i can programme journeys, which ive been doing, and its adding up to about 10miles per day that im doing!

soooo..... (excuse me if this sounds daft) for each 10 miles that im doing per day, are you telling me that i can claim 40 pence per mile? ie- £2 per day/£10 per week/£40ish pound per month??

woohoo if i have been doing it right! but i just wanted to double check.

thanks

Amy (im fairly new thats my excuse hehe)

crazybones
14-05-2008, 05:29 AM
just found this thread, just want to ask a Q related to this.........

i pick up a girl a few towns away from where i live, once in the morning and drop at school, and then same journey again in the afternoon.
in my car i can programme journeys, which ive been doing, and its adding up to about 10miles per day that im doing!

soooo..... (excuse me if this sounds daft) for each 10 miles that im doing per day, are you telling me that i can claim 40 pence per mile? ie- £2 per day/£10 per week/£40ish pound per month??

woohoo if i have been doing it right! but i just wanted to double check.

thanks

Amy (im fairly new thats my excuse hehe)

10 miles a day at 40p a mile = £4.00 a day
£20.00 per week
£80.00 per month

I hope thats right - its still early. :D

katickles
14-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah i'm with Annie on that one - thats how I work it out anyway! :)

deeb66
14-05-2008, 01:05 PM
You would be surprised how fast the money clocks up when claiming for mileage but I do agree that the government needs to revise this figure as the cost of fuel is getting ridiculous.

Because I could spend the week flitting here and there I have a very simple print out that allows me to jot down each day what miles I do.

I just tot it up at the end of the week and store with all my other receipts etc which ensures that I claim for every single mile I do!

amyk
14-05-2008, 01:34 PM
excellent thankyou very much!

yeah its so amazing how much it all adds up isnt it! i think doing all my accounts is going to be a real eye-opener as to how much i actually spend day to day eek!!

thanks

Amy x

custardcream
15-05-2008, 11:49 AM
when you claim the 40p per mile way do you still have to produce fuel receipts and do any of you log the actual mileage from your car mileometer before and after trips.

katickles
15-05-2008, 11:51 AM
when you claim the 40p per mile way do you still have to produce fuel receipts and do any of you log the actual mileage from your car mileometer before and after trips.

I have a little book that I keep in the car. I write the date - destination & total amount of miles :)