PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted requiremnt for Fire drills?

acorns
20-11-2010, 11:17 AM
We all seem to do Fire drills at different frequencies with once a month being the most common, does anyone know if Ofsted set a specific frequency that we should do them or is it up to us. Reason I'm asking is that I only mind 1 10 month old and it means little to her to do a drill, just gets me practiced. But I dont feel i need to do it one a month, as she's just scooped up and striaght out of the door and it's all recorded.

christine e
20-11-2010, 11:52 AM
I thought it was at least once every 3 months but on checking the welfare requirements on page 34 it just says 'regular evacuation drills should be carried out'.

Cx

Blaze
20-11-2010, 01:24 PM
It does aid your mindee in that she gets used to the noise IYSWIM. Also they shouldn't be called fire drills they should be called evacuation drills, proedure etc - lots are getting pulled on this wording at the moment.
HTH:)

rickysmiths
20-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I do mine once a term and once in the summer holidays because there tend to be more people around so we all know what to do.

I must confess it is very tempting to do one when Mrs O is here. I wonder if she would pick up her laptop or leave it behind?

Blaze
20-11-2010, 02:38 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

acorns
20-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I do mine once a term and once in the summer holidays because there tend to be more people around so we all know what to do.

I must confess it is very tempting to do one when Mrs O is here. I wonder if she would pick up her laptop or leave it behind?

:laughing: Thanks, I was getting a bit worried that I ought to be doing them every month, which would be neccessary with more children, but I think i'll settle on once a term.

Rubybubbles
20-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Once a term, or maybe 2-3 times depending on times and which children are present.

And when new children come into the setting:)

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
20-11-2010, 08:06 PM
ofsted told my friend when she had an inspection that it should be doing them once a month, however i do them once every 3 months which my ofsted inspector was happy with.

Not sure that really helps :laughing:

PixiePetal
21-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Just had my inspection and once every 3 months and again if new children come was fine with inspector :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
21-11-2010, 08:11 AM
I have an A5 notebook that I note down daily risk assessments and when I turn the page I do an evacuation which works out about every 4 weeks this works for me.

Do you all press the fire alarm button? When I have very young ones I start off by shouting "fire" and then build up to it.

PixiePetal
21-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I have an A5 notebook that I note down daily risk assessments and when I turn the page I do an evacuation which works out about every 4 weeks this works for me.

Do you all press the fire alarm button? When I have very young ones I start off by shouting "fire" and then build up to it.

mine range from getting DH to press the button - I can't reach - high ceilings:rolleyes: to me saying ok we need to get out - with really little ones (to practice me picking them up and getting out with register)

nokidshere
22-11-2010, 07:26 AM
It does aid your mindee in that she gets used to the noise IYSWIM. Also they shouldn't be called fire drills they should be called evacuation drills, proedure etc - lots are getting pulled on this wording at the moment.
HTH:)

?????????????????????? Bizarre.

And it doesn't surprise me at all that everyones information is different - just for a change eh ;)