PDA

View Full Version : 4yr old boys

*donnalouise*
19-11-2010, 08:29 PM
hellllllllpppppp.

I have a 4 yr old boy coming to look round, trouble is, I just dont know what 4 yr old boys like to do??????

I have my own two GIRLS, plus full time mindee ... also GIRL.

Kinda think it would be lovely to even up a bit on gender, and get my DD playing with things other than princess things, so im keen to impress.

I was thinking of getting duplo out, having something nice and gooey like gloop out, as well as all the usual stuff for the babies. I have a wooden play kitchen, dolls house and large sling bookcase. Does that sound ok? I really dont have that many resources for this age, as my mindee and DD2 are both under 18m.

Kes
19-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Duplo is fine. Anything to build lego especially. Do you have any toy cars boys of all ages play with them. Dinosaurs.

*donnalouise*
19-11-2010, 08:44 PM
I have some cars, but they are quite chunky wooden ones. Id say more suited to the babies.

I dont have any real 'lego' just cos i have 2 babies on the move who will probably eat it!

No dinosaurs either ... I have the ELC farm animals tho. Might get them out too.

I do have access to the toy library tho, so will defo go and grab some stuff if they decide to go with me. Im soooo clueless with boys! Girls are all i've ever known! LOL

mushpea
19-11-2010, 08:50 PM
cars, action figures, soliders, lego, wii, ninja turtles, castles and knights, cars, dinosaurs, train sets, building blocks, stickle bricks, junk modling, cooking, puzzles, comics, magnetix, knex, ben 10

you could also just ask him,, explain to parents that at the moment you only have girls but you are prepared to go out and get what he likes to play with and ask him what he likes.
the boys I have also like to play in the tents and the toy kitchen and even push around the prams and they are 7 and 10yrs!

BlondeMoment
19-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I've got a 4 year old boy and he's very into Toy Story lol.

As well as that he loves building so def a yes with the Duplo. As for your cars being a bit babyish, he really won't mind I don't think. Most of my stuff is baby suitable and I even have an 8 year old I mind who is quite happy to play with the little tikes bus and people etc.

Tinglesnark
19-11-2010, 09:21 PM
my 3.5 year old would adore it if you let him play with the girls toys! he is desperate for father christmas to bring him some barbie girl stuff so i wouldnt worry too much!
Ben 10 is "the thing" with the boys at the moment and mine adore scooby doo. They have their dressing up box out at the mo' (pirates, cowboys, spiderman and batman) and the pretend cooking box out. The staples are the box full of figures and animals and the cars.
They will enjoy playing with whatever you have! activities sound fab! the love to bake and finger paints are a goodun! :thumbsup:

miffy
19-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Don't worry too much - you can ask him what he likes to do/play with and then go from there if they decide to come to you.

Fingers crossed.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
19-11-2010, 09:42 PM
If they decide to use your service, ask what sort of thing he likes to do and have a nosy in the charity shops/ebay for bargains

catlyn
20-11-2010, 12:05 AM
my 4 year old grandson loves anything toy story although since i stared minding and he has been to mine he loves playing with the baby toys!!! and hes started liking peppa pig books....think he just enjoys anything he hasnt got at home so i wouldnt woryy too much about what he likes.....he will probs play with whatever is out at the time

mama2three
20-11-2010, 08:04 AM
I have the opposite ...I have 3 boys of my own and of course most of the toys in the house are boys toys. I was very worried that my token dolls and pushchair wouldnt be enough for my girl mindees - but over time I have built up other things.
Tbh at the moment my 4 yr old boys ( ds and mindee) like to make ramps from anything they can find to roll the cars , conkers and balls down ..and junk modelling..neither of which would mean you spending out on new resources.
The toy library is a great idea , you can introduce new things every couple of weeks , and once you see what his favourites are maybe you can start looking on ebay etc..

Minstrel
20-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I read this out to my 4 yr old DS and he would like to tell you what he likes.

rockets
you need to have lots of food because they will be hungry
a toy baby
playing with a pushchair
a nintendo DS (!:blush: )
drawing
colouring
den building

He hopes this helps!

*donnalouise*
20-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks so much for that... just the response I was looking for.:)

You have all given me great idea's - most of which would cost very little! I was quite worried that having a boy about might prove to be expensive - as I have very little 'boys' kit. But by the looks of things most boys are happy to play with whats out - and a lot of the activities you've suggested are the kinda stuff my daughter is happy to do too - den building, junk modelling etc

LMAO @ Minstrels son ... lots of food :) hmmm, maybe I should charge a little extra to cover this ;)

I'll let you know how I get on!