PDA

View Full Version : Finally doing some makaton training tomorrow

miss mopple
19-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Ive been trying to get on a course for ages and finally I have a space for the next 2 saturdays :clapping: Has anyone done it? Is it a good course?

I have a little lad who has speech delay so am hoping to use it with him. I'm really looking forward to the course but not sure what to expect. Luckily I know one other minder who I met this week is going so wont be totally alone.

Anyone else training tomorrow?

clio0602
19-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Not done an actual course but took dd to sing and sign from when she was 7mths and it uses alot of makaton. She still signs please and thank you when she says it and could communicate simple things from 9 mths. I use it with mindee 12mths and she will sign 'please', 'thank you' and 'more'

I'd love to do a course but not seen any nr me :( Enjoy x

angeldelight
19-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Sounds like fun

Hope you have a good time and enjoy it

Angel xx

Beetlejuice
19-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm jealous Miss Mopple. I have a little lad with some sort of SEN (we are waiting for FIRST assessment) and I've been using basic signs with him in the past month or so and he's grasping it well. Meeting Dave Benson Philips at the NCMA conference has spurred me on to learn more myself and try it with this little lad as he really responds to the signing.

Hope it goes well

xx

PixiePetal
19-11-2010, 11:28 PM
I recently did a TinyTalk day course. It was good :thumbsup:

mama2three
20-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I did tinytalk , and have done a couple of 'signing with Olly' courses - we love to sign. Im sure you'll enjoy yourself and learn lots. Could really do with a refresher myself.

Now I know its almost impossible to 'describe' , but whats the sign for 'more' ? :) :blush:

miffy
20-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I've done a tiny talk course too - that was very good.

I think you'll enjoy it

Miffy xx

miss mopple
20-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I did tinytalk , and have done a couple of 'signing with Olly' courses - we love to sign. Im sure you'll enjoy yourself and learn lots. Could really do with a refresher myself.

Now I know its almost impossible to 'describe' , but whats the sign for 'more' ? :) :blush:

Make a fist with your dominant hand and cover with the other :)

The course was FAB :clapping: Really learnt alot and feel quite confident that I can use it in my setting daily to help my little mindee with communication difficulties :thumbsup: Can't wait til next week to do the 2nd bit, and then if I can Im going to book the follow up.

If you get the chance to do it I highly recommend it. It was a good laugh, very intensive, but incredibly enabling :thumbsup:

Oh, and DH loves that I've learnt the sign for wine :laughing: Don't think thats one to use with the kids though!

sarah707
20-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I did a taster course last week and came away really inspired to learn more!

I am glad you enjoyed your day. I always feel if I give up my Saturday then I should be well rewarded :D

Carpet Monkeys
20-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Sounds like fun .. I'm booked on a two day course at the end of the month ... really looking forward to it

lornaslilliputs
21-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Ive been trying to get on a course for ages and finally I have a space for the next 2 saturdays :clapping: Has anyone done it? Is it a good course?

I have a little lad who has speech delay so am hoping to use it with him. I'm really looking forward to the course but not sure what to expect. Luckily I know one other minder who I met this week is going so wont be totally alone.

Anyone else training tomorrow?

Hello, I've done makaton for six years and It is a fantastic skill to have! It will be wonderfull to use with the little boy! and its great to use with babies/toddlers who are learning to talk. With makaton you use full speach aided with the hand signs you will have great fum on the course! My tip is keep practising and use mr tumble to help you practice and learn more signs, practise and using the signs daily will help them to become second nature! Lorna x