PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

anthea jane
19-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi

I have been working as a childminding assistant for nearly 2 yrs now, but I recently decided to become a registered childminder myself so I could mind from my own home, I have just completed the briefing sessions, filled in all the forms, doctors got the medical form ect.. ect... All seemed to be going well, til today!! Phoned letting agents as I need to get their permission, well they have refused!!!!
Can anyone give me any advice on what to do next ??
Can I appeal? shall I still go ahead with the ofsted insection (obviously will tell them I won't start minding til got permission to do so or have moved)

Anthea

blue bear
21-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Is it a big letting agency or an individual, can't really see how you could register without permission. I would write explaining what you plan to do, general day, how many children, how it will affect use of house etc and see if they change their mind, but without permission you are stuck.

good luck x.

Blaze
21-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Most will refuse on the basis that it is running a business from the property which isn't allowed. You need to explain that CMing has a different set of rules & doesn't fall under this clause - usually if you come at them will well researched info they allow you to proceed - however it isn't guarenteed.
HTH:)

Penny1959
21-11-2010, 05:26 PM
My daughter is a childminder and has childminded at 3 different rented properties.

As Blaze has suggested you need to explain what is involved in becoming a childminder and state all the benefits - ie seperate insurance, ofsted inspection, supervision, safe environment etc. Try to think about all the things a landlord might be worried about (may imagine 100's of children running wild and damaging his property!!).

Ask him to put in writing his objections and reasons for refusal.

If a def NO - look for another property that will allow this - private rents may be more flexible and understanding.

Good Luck

Penny :)

keeks
21-11-2010, 06:32 PM
My daughter is a childminder and has childminded at 3 different rented properties.

As Blaze has suggested you need to explain what is involved in becoming a childminder and state all the benefits - ie seperate insurance, ofsted inspection, supervision, safe environment etc. Try to think about all the things a landlord might be worried about (may imagine 100's of children running wild and damaging his property!!).

Ask him to put in writing his objections and reasons for refusal.

If a def NO - look for another property that will allow this - private rents may be more flexible and understanding.

Good Luck

Penny :)

Good advice from Penny and Blaze.

I rent privately and my landlord is very supportive.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution!

xx

anthea jane
23-11-2010, 09:26 AM
It is the letting agents that have said no, they haven't even asked landlord, I have emailed him directly so just waiting to hear from him.

Keeping everything crossed!!!!

sarah707
23-11-2010, 06:26 PM
I hope it is sorted out soon for you! :D

mrs robbie williams
23-11-2010, 06:51 PM
What a shame :( hope you get it sorted soon xx

clio0602
23-11-2010, 09:02 PM
I never asked the agents just the landlord who was very happy for me to do it as it would mean him having a long term tenant who would look after the house!

Hope they get back to you and give you the go ahead soon x

AliceK
24-11-2010, 10:24 AM
When I moved house a few months ago I made sure I emphasised that I was a registered childminder, I told the landlord that it would mean having 2 people who were enhanced CRB checked living here, that I had a duty to keep the house clean and safe, I was registered with the council, inspected by environmental health etc etc and made him aware that we have a limit on the numbers of children we can have so it's not like there will be LOADS of children running riot. Most people don't understand the full implications of being a childminder so just make sure you make them aware that actually you are a better tenant than just anyone else as you HAVE to keep the property clean and in good order etc.

Good luck

xxxxxx

anthea jane
10-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I asked the agents again and put forward my case. Heard back from them today and its still a no!!!!

Unfortunately, our Technical and Compliance Director has again declined your request to child mind at 31 **** *******, reasons for this are stated in the letter that has been sent to you. Hopefully you will receive this shortly.

The reason they gave before is that it states in our contract that we can't run a business from the property, so guessing it will be the same again.

Going to get christmas out the way then going to have to look at moving :(