PDA

View Full Version : Playing out?

lauren1979
18-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi...

I have a 9 year old mindee who wants to play out, on our quiet street on his scooter when he gets back from school with other children he knows. I can see him from the window (although cannot watch the whole time obviously) and his Mum is happy with this. I have set a you can go from 'here to here' boundary with him.

My question is, would you allow it? I feel a bit unsure/uneasy as to if something happened, should I get his Mum to sign some sort of permission slip to cover me?

Thank you!

caz3007
18-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I look after mindies that age and older and have a green right outside my house, but they dont dont go out to play, I have had them for a long time and have always said its not an option, even though the 11 year olds now arrive independently.

Having said that, if you are happy with it, then you definately need a permission slip from parents

Blaze
18-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes parental permission is needed - also if you are insured with MM they do not cover you for this but NCMA does. I would also suggest a policy & RA be done.
HTH:)

Dragonfly
18-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Ofsted told me a few years ago that you could not let children out to play and i know Morton michel say No.I have a 12 year mindee and she is not allowed off my property.Its very much different from letting your own children out to play and very hard for the older mindees not to have some freedom.

Penny1959
18-11-2010, 07:45 PM
I have never let older mindees play out - but a few have been allowed to take themselves to friends houses.

Had written permission from parents and strict rules - ie had to come back to me after school, before going to friends. Had to walk by main road (not short cuts) and not allow to go if dark (either there or back to mine )

Penny :)

moogster1a
19-11-2010, 07:56 AM
My OFSTED inspector told me it was fine for my 8 year old to play out as long as boundaries were defined, he didn't go too far and I had permission from parent.
In fact, she said it was good for them at that age to play out unsupervised.

suzyblue
19-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I have never allowed it and as long as they know its a definite no no they dont seem bothered. I know I cant keep them safe if they are outside so they dont go.

lauren1979
19-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks everyone, I suspected this would be the case. I only have him as an over 3 year old so have no really experience with older ones/there is no-one else for him to play with so felt a bit sorry for him watching the other kids out and about!

I am with MM, so will speak to him and his Mum and explain the situation.

Would this mean that if we went to the park he would always need to be in my sight? As in could be go to the skate park bit while we go to the playpark..in the same big park but apart IYKWIM!
Obviously would RA etc.

Dragonfly
19-11-2010, 04:49 PM
As far as Im concerned although I cant say I totally agree with it, when they are in my care they stay where I can see them or in my house where I can hear them, thats just me though i know some c'minders let their mindees out to play on their own but me NO.

Blue Boy
19-11-2010, 05:05 PM
As everyone has said you need a signed permission slip. Personally we do not let mindees play outside unless it is in the garden, as you say you can't keep your eye on them all the time.