PDA

View Full Version : Settling in hours - how many?

kymberly
18-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wondering what you lovely ladies do about settling in. Do you allow a set amount of hours or just as long as it takes for the child to settle?

Thanks, Kymberly xx

PixiePetal
18-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I do a couple of 2 hour sessions free then they pay for any others until start date proper.

Some people don't want/need even this some want more (usually for the parent!) so have to draw the line somewhere

Minstrel
18-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I offer 4 hours free and any extra are paid for. Hours are split differently for each child, depending on age/contract.

I had one parent who had an 8yo coming to me. They visited on a friday and he started the following Monday and so didn't have any free sessions. Having read about them in my admissions policy, mum asked if she could have the first 4 hours (2 days after school) for free instead............er..... NO!!!!

PixiePetal
18-11-2010, 04:49 PM
My 6 month mindee started last week with no settling :thumbsup: I had his 3yr old sister at the beginning of the year on temp contract once a week for 3 months, so know the mum and as she said he is very laid back as a 3rd child, I took her at her word - he has been wonderful :D

Ripeberry
18-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I had a 10 month old start on Tuesday and I thought the parents would want to take it easy and maybe do the 2hour settling in session on one day and then another 2hrs the next day.
Or maybe even just do 4hrs in one go.
No, they put her in for a full 8hr day and the mum went back to bed (night worker) and the dad went out for the day.... with a look of joy on his face :D

The little girl only cried for 30 seconds and then just got on with it and took everything in her stride. But she did not sleep the whole 8hrs and was very fussy with eating.
I've put on the contract that there is a 4 week settling in period anyway.
They got the first 4hrs for free and paid for the next 4hrs.

singingcactus
18-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't offer a settling in session. If parents ask for a few hours prior to the date they need to start then that is fine with me, but I just charge for it as usual. It's all the same for the child, whether they are left at the minders for a regular day, or left at the minders for something the adults call a settling in day.

I don't offer a settling in period either, it usually takes more than a couple of weeks to get to know a child and family well enough to know if I want to spend an extended period of time with them. So if it was to not be working for me or parent then usual notice of 2 weeks would be given. I only ask for 2 weeks because I would hate to drag out an unpleasant relationship if it went that way.

PixiePetal
18-11-2010, 07:42 PM
I had a 10 month old start on Tuesday and I thought the parents would want to take it easy and maybe do the 2hour settling in session on one day and then another 2hrs the next day.
Or maybe even just do 4hrs in one go.
No, they put her in for a full 8hr day and the mum went back to bed (night worker) and the dad went out for the day.... with a look of joy on his face :D

The little girl only cried for 30 seconds and then just got on with it and took everything in her stride. But she did not sleep the whole 8hrs and was very fussy with eating.
I've put on the contract that there is a 4 week settling in period anyway.
They got the first 4hrs for free and paid for the next 4hrs.

no tears from mine either, slept for 3 hours each morning, ate and had bottle and I had my inspection on the 3rd day :thumbsup: inspector couldn't believe he was a newbie:)

lauredt
18-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I obviously overdo it!
My next mindee is starting mid december (will be 9 months by then) and Mum and baby have been visiting every fortnight for an hour and 1/2 since September, we are taking it up a gear now with a 1 hour on her own, then in 2 weeks time a full morning (free) followed by a full day (chargeable) 2 weeks after that. She will be starting full time the following week.
I don't always invite the family in my house all the time, often when they are local I will regularly meet them at Toddler group for a few months before the big day. I like to get to know the parenting style of mum before I start, I can then tweek my approach to ease them in. So far I've only had happy customers... And if Mum is totally relaxed with her choice of childcare on her first day back at work the battle is won. :)
That said, I can offer that flexibility because I am often booked before baby is born (we stay in touch via email first) and I do not work school holidays so if needed could have some "mum-baby-CM" bonding time during my time off.

As for the official settling-in period, in my policies it states we both have 4 weeks to change our minds. Needless to say none of my customers have ever considered leaving me at that stage. The only time I gave notice at the end of a "settling-in" was when I took on a family in an emergency (signed sunday to start monday). Total nightmare, bad payers, nasty kid. Never again.