PDA

View Full Version : Enough is enough! Time to get tough I think

miss mopple
18-11-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a seperate playroom. The kids really love being in there but at the minute they are totally incapable of playing with one thing at a time and tidying up before getting the next out. Its driving me insane! They empty box after box and dont actually use any of it once tipped out and they are big enough to start to know better.

Is it really mean that I am thinking of restricting playroom access on a trial basis? I am thinking next week I will let them chose what they want to play with, bring it through to the lounge and put it away before chosing something else. Obviously if they need a different resource to add to/enhance their game then fair enough, but I am sick of the constant trail of destruction and wonder if this may help encourage them to learn be tidier and have more respect for the toys.

reckon it will work?

maryp0ppins
18-11-2010, 01:54 PM
or just strap their hands together :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

maryp0ppins
18-11-2010, 01:55 PM
or just strap their hands together :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: !!

maryp0ppins
18-11-2010, 01:56 PM
whoops ...sorry.... dont know how that was posted twice :blush:

clio0602
18-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea. They may then realise what is expected when it is reopened! :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I do this and it works great. I am in the processing of photographing my entire stock of toys to make into a catalogue and then they can choose what they want out.

Penny1959
18-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Sounds a great idea

I have a selected range of things available as continuous provision in my small playroom - I then put some resources linked to theme / stages of development / interest in the lounge. I never have loads out at once because like you in the past I have found they just tip things out and don't really play with anything.

Most of my resources are stored (cramed into) my small spare bedroom

I have photographed most of my stuff and so children can also choose what they want out / borrow to take home (also most resources now on website so parents can choose items to ask to borrow at home)

Penny :)

loocyloo
18-11-2010, 09:33 PM
i have :blush: lockable :blush: toy cupboards, and when things have got out of hand, i have been known to lock them! i find it only takes a day or two and then we are usually back to normal!

( i also lock them when my godson comes to stay - he and his mother love to play with all my toys and NEVER put them away!!! :mad: )

miffy
18-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I think restricting access is a good idea or you could lock them in there and not let them out until they've tidied up! :laughing: (joking!)

Miffy xx

ajs
18-11-2010, 11:32 PM
I think restricting access is a good idea or you could lock them in there and not let them out until they've tidied up! :laughing: (joking!)

Miffy xx

i'm going with this plan

i have the same problem, the trofast untis are fab but access is very easy and my 3 do the same choose one thing then tipout the boxes and leave them and move on to another box without clearing up. i spend most of my day asking them to help me clear up ( without much success i must saythough)

i think i will try the same, although i have tried sort of restricitng the toys but i wasn't tough enough and allowed free access.

getting tough now

miss mopple
19-11-2010, 07:45 AM
we'll stand firm together ajs :D, united against troublesome tots :laughing:

I have trofast too and thats exactly the problem. Not sure the kids will be too chuffed but they have to learn. Its either this or I will get rid of a stack of what I have so there is less to tip

Lady Haha
19-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I feel so smug now!!! :laughing:

But then my lot are all schoolies and can be bribed, I mean, rewarded for tidying up etc. They all know that they can get ONE toy/playset/box out and that they have to put the first one away before they can get something else out. They get moved up their charts for this:D

Sometimes it can get a bit chaotic when I have six kids here and they ALL choose something different! But most of the time, two or three will choose something to play with together and I usually end up with crafts on the table, a toy set out on playroom floor and another toy set out on lounge floor.

I did used to look after twin 2 yr olds and the sea of tipped up boxes and toys in the playroom put me off littlies for life!:laughing:

angeldelight
19-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a seperate playroom. The kids really love being in there but at the minute they are totally incapable of playing with one thing at a time and tidying up before getting the next out. Its driving me insane! They empty box after box and dont actually use any of it once tipped out and they are big enough to start to know better.

Is it really mean that I am thinking of restricting playroom access on a trial basis? I am thinking next week I will let them chose what they want to play with, bring it through to the lounge and put it away before chosing something else. Obviously if they need a different resource to add to/enhance their game then fair enough, but I am sick of the constant trail of destruction and wonder if this may help encourage them to learn be tidier and have more respect for the toys.

reckon it will work?

I know just what you mean

I was sooooo happy to have my playroom and just lately we never use it ha ha

Fed up of the mess I want it looking tidy and perfect and do not want all the toys mixed up

We move the toys into the other room and it seems to work

Good luck

Angel xx

Demeter79
23-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Greetings from Australia!

I limit access to my playroom in the morning (before my daughter goes to school), and after afternoon tea in the afternoon. I set up activities n other areas of my home, and these are packed away before the playroom is opened. The playroom is then packed up before rest time, and again before afternoon tea time.

I find by limiting access to the playroom, and also which playthings are available at any one time, the children take the time to enjoy the activities, rather that just pull everything out without appreciating anything...Too many choices is overwhelming!

Demeter79

ziggy
23-11-2010, 01:45 PM
my playroom is now just used for storage, sadly, the 2yr olds just dont understand!!! So we all go in and choose one box at a time, then only when that box is tidied away can we choose another. Seems such a shame to have an extra room but cant cope with every box tipped out:(

Pipsqueak
23-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I solved this problem by removing lots of toys and just having a few resources out. They children right down to the youngest (18month old) knows - if it comes out then it has to go away before the next bit comes out.
They know they can request other toys as well

Do you know who the worst culprit are??? 11yr old mindee:mad: