PDA

View Full Version : ORANGE AND CLOVE POMANDER

angeldelight
18-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Orange pomanders fill the house with a delicious scent, and look pretty too. If you would like a quick and easy craft, with supermarket ingredients, try method 1 below. For a more traditional, longer lasting pomander, try method 2.

Method 1 - short-term pomanders
Choose a number of thin-skinned oranges. Using a large darning needle, prick a design on the oranges. A large-spaced random design (as in the photo above) works well, as does a double row of holes around the middle of an orange. Push a clove into each hole. Arrange in a bowl or glass vase and enjoy the gorgeous scent.

Idea: "Write" a letter in cloves on each orange and use to spell a Christmas word (perhaps Merry, Christmas, Yule, or Noel). Arrange the oranges on your mantlepiece, or down the center of your table, for an original and sweet-smelling display.

These will last about 2 weeks

Method 2 - long lasting traditional pomanders
You will need:

A medium-sized thin-skinned orange
1/2 cup whole cloves
1/2 cup orris root powder
2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon ground nutmeg

Instructions:

Roll the orange in your hands to warm it: this makes it easier to push the cloves into it. Using a large darning needle, poke holes into the orange about 1/8 inch apart, and then push a clove into each hole. A traditional pomander covers the entire orange with cloves closely, but it is easiest to work on a small area at a time.

Mix all the powders together, and roll your clove-studded orange in it, filling the spaces between the cloves as much as possible. Store carefully in a small cardboard box lined with tissue paper, and tip the extra powder on top. Keep in a warm (but not hot) dry place, such an airing cupboard, for 3 to 4 weeks. Shake off excess powder and tie a pretty ribbon around the pomander, with a bow and a loop for hanging. Any excess powder can be saved and used again.

Orange pomanders take time to dry so if you’re going to try to give one of these away for an upcoming holiday make it a couple of weeks earlier than the holiday itself. The orange will turn brown and kind of appear to be rotting – it is NOT rotting. The oil from the cloves spreads throughout the peel making it brownish orange. The entire orange will eventually dry and become very lightweight.

Angel xxx

ZoeAlli
18-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Thank you Angel. Might give these a try. I was going to do them last year but ran out of time! :blush:

wendywu
18-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I do these every year and love the smell of them.

My older mindees say it makes their fingers sore pushing the cloves in, but they still love to do it :laughing:

angeldelight
18-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I do these every year and love the smell of them.

My older mindees say it makes their fingers sore pushing the cloves in, but they still love to do it :laughing:

I have not done them before Wendy - is this the way to do it how I have said ?

Angel xx

rickysmiths
18-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I do these every year as well. Not come across the first method but use the second with a couple of differences.

I use Clemetines, Tangerines or Satsumas which ever are the firmest when I go shopping IYSWIM. This year it is Tesco unwaxed organic Clementines the children don't get so bored putting the cloves in the smaller fruit :D

I put a ribbon both ways around the fruit and secure it with a pin leaving a loop at the top to hang it up, before we put the cloves in I then take the pin out when its finished because the cloves hold it in place.

When they are done I usually hang them up to dry, the added bonus of this is we enjoy the lovely spicy smell :clapping: We will start ours today and work on them over the next week, then they have a full 3-4 weeks to dry out.

They are always very popular with the children and the mums.

Playmate
18-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the reminder about these, haven't done them for a couple of years, I love the smell :D

wendywu
18-11-2010, 04:24 PM
[
QUOTE=angeldelight;818276]I have not done them before Wendy - is this the way to do it how I have said ?

Angel xx[/QUOTE]

They way we do it is to pin ribbon around the orange twice. Then push the cloves into the orange filling the spaces. They smell lovely as the oranges juice makes the cloves wet.

Mine from last year are still sitting on a cut glass stand on the chiffonier in the dining room.:)

PixiePetal
18-11-2010, 04:35 PM
never made these before but am going to give it a go with my 3 1/2yr old mindees :thumbsup:

angeldelight
28-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Can anyone tell me how long these last once made

Angel xx

rickysmiths
28-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Can anyone tell me how long these last once made

Angel xx

As long as they are kept dry Angel they last for a year or more. I get rid of them when the lovely smell has gone.

angeldelight
28-11-2010, 06:24 PM
As long as they are kept dry Angel they last for a year or more. I get rid of them when the lovely smell has gone.

Oh do they I was expecting you to say a month or so

Thank you

Angel xx

mummyofone
07-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I remember doing one of these when i was little and we all had one to take to church. I don't remember what they smell like, but think i might give this a go. Make my house smell all christmasy. :)

Zoomie
07-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Anyone know where to get orris root powder ?

Online searches reveal that 1/2 is likely to be quite costly.

angeldelight
07-12-2010, 08:06 PM
Anyone know where to get orris root powder ?

Online searches reveal that 1/2 is likely to be quite costly.

I did mine and did not use this - everyone I asked told me not to bother because I could not find it either

Not sure if it makes a difference but have been told it does not

Angel xx