PDA

View Full Version : Under 2s and logistics pre inspection...

nicoleon
18-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Hi everybody!

My first graded inspection is due in December and I am starting to be scared now :eek:

I have started my SEF and am working on all my paperwork (also just ordered a pogo :thumbsup: )

Reflecting on my practice I am worried about the following:

- Nappy Changes: I've got an 11 months old and a 12 months old who walks. I currently do nappy changes in the kitchen (I only have living room and kitchen / diner downstairs). Do you think this is ok if I RA it? I do it near the back door and out of the way on the floor. I use the baby's changing mat and not a shared on. Do I still have to disinfect it after use? Or is a wipe with a wet wipe adequate? I am a bit of a green warrior so I don't really want to use another wet wipe to "wash" their hands after. Do you think it's ok to use their own flanel?

- Me going to the loo: What the heck do I do with the babies? Is it ok to leave them roaming in the front room (which is safe)? There is a stairgate which prevents them from going in the hallway and I can close the door to the kitchen. However, one of them starts crying as soon as I leave the room and that then sets the other one off :( . Is that ok during an inspection? I can't take both of them to the toilet with me, can I?

- Putting nappies in the outside bin: Same logistical problem. I would have to leave them while I go outside... (mindee who's very cling only started this week so might improve once she knows I'm always coming back I suppose / hope!)

- Naps: my daughter sleeps upstairs so again, I have to leave mindee while putting my daughter upstairs = she starts crying her eyes out until I come back. I reassure her and explain what I am doing all the time and she is comforted as soon as I am back and talking to her.

- Travel Cot: I have got a travel cot in the kitchen (nothing dangerous within reach). Mindee doesn't currently nap when with me (still not fully settled / too excited) but I use it as a playpen. For example when I quickly sweep up and mop after meal times (very messy with two babies that try to feed themselves!), I put mindee who can walk in it to keep her safe and my dd usually sits in her highchair where she is happy. Is this practice ok?

- Outdoor Play: I currently take them out for a walk, sometimes the park (baby swings) but I haven't done any activities in my garden yet. it's a bit cold for any sand / water play for such little ones in my opinion. has anybody got any ideas what I could do to show more outdoor activities?

- Snack Times: Is it ok to give snacks in the front room? We all sit down at the table for meals but I give the babies rice cakes, breadsticks and fruit or veg sticks throughout the day and they just munch on them wherever they are (I clear away anything on the floor which is usually a fair bit).

Thanks a lot in advance!! I really appreciate the fantastic help of all you guys :clapping:

sarah707
18-11-2010, 07:51 AM
Hi everybody!

My first graded inspection is due in December and I am starting to be scared now :eek:

I have started my SEF and am working on all my paperwork (also just ordered a pogo :thumbsup: )

Reflecting on my practice I am worried about the following:

- Nappy Changes: I've got an 11 months old and a 12 months old who walks. I currently do nappy changes in the kitchen (I only have living room and kitchen / diner downstairs). Do you think this is ok if I RA it? I do it near the back door and out of the way on the floor. I use the baby's changing mat and not a shared on. Do I still have to disinfect it after use? Or is a wipe with a wet wipe adequate? I am a bit of a green warrior so I don't really want to use another wet wipe to "wash" their hands after. Do you think it's ok to use their own flanel?

It is not good practice to change nappies in the kitchen! You would get slated by environmental health for that (as well as Ofsted).

You do need to wash baby's hands after - this one is coming up on more and more reports. I have started using a bowl of warm soapy water, dip the baby's hands in and then tissue or towel (single use) to dry. They are all adapting very quickly.

You do need to disinfect the mat after each use, not just wipe it over.

- Me going to the loo: What the heck do I do with the babies? Is it ok to leave them roaming in the front room (which is safe)? There is a stairgate which prevents them from going in the hallway and I can close the door to the kitchen. However, one of them starts crying as soon as I leave the room and that then sets the other one off :( . Is that ok during an inspection? I can't take both of them to the toilet with me, can I?

Risk assess a few scenarios and choose the safest.

Use the travel cot / buggy or take with you rather than leaving distressed.

Could you try putting favourite on in the background?

- Putting nappies in the outside bin: Same logistical problem. I would have to leave them while I go outside... (mindee who's very cling only started this week so might improve once she knows I'm always coming back I suppose / hope!)

Take baby with you if necessary. Better than leaving distressed.

- Naps: my daughter sleeps upstairs so again, I have to leave mindee while putting my daughter upstairs = she starts crying her eyes out until I come back. I reassure her and explain what I am doing all the time and she is comforted as soon as I am back and talking to her.

Again do you use the travel cot to keep her safe?

Risk assess a few different scenarios.

Consider for example if she has a tantrum or throws herself on the floor and hurts her head etc in her distress.

- Travel Cot: I have got a travel cot in the kitchen (nothing dangerous within reach). Mindee doesn't currently nap when with me (still not fully settled / too excited) but I use it as a playpen. For example when I quickly sweep up and mop after meal times (very messy with two babies that try to feed themselves!), I put mindee who can walk in it to keep her safe and my dd usually sits in her highchair where she is happy. Is this practice ok?

I don't see why not!

- Outdoor Play: I currently take them out for a walk, sometimes the park (baby swings) but I haven't done any activities in my garden yet. it's a bit cold for any sand / water play for such little ones in my opinion. has anybody got any ideas what I could do to show more outdoor activities?

I use the patio for outside play quite a lot in this bad weather because it's covered.

Daily park visits and regular walks out are fine though!

- Snack Times: Is it ok to give snacks in the front room? We all sit down at the table for meals but I give the babies rice cakes, breadsticks and fruit or veg sticks throughout the day and they just munch on them wherever they are (I clear away anything on the floor which is usually a fair bit).

They should be sitting down to eat and drink - what happens if they choke on the move?

Walking around with drinks cups is really bad on the emerging teeth.

Wash their hands, sit them down, sit down with them and communicate / listen etc as you eat and drink. make it a social occasion. Read a book to them etc

Thanks a lot in advance!! I really appreciate the fantastic help of all you guys :clapping:

I hope this helps! :D

nicoleon
18-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Thank you Sarah!

I did think nappy changes could be a problem but my kitchen is quite big and it's away from all food prep areas but I understand it's not very good practice. It was just practical because I could wash my hands straight away. I will try and do this:

Prepare a lidded box with wipes, nappy bags, nappies, disinfectant wipes, fleece wipes, drying squares etc and store out of reach of mindees. Get it out when nappies are due to be changed and do nappy changes in front room (there is a corner where a bit of privacy would be provided). Get mindee dressed. Desinfect my hands first or wash mindees hands first? Common sense would dictate unless mindee touched nappy area, I disinfect my hands first..? Then wash baby's hands with wet fleece wipe. Dry with drying square (muslin squares). Put both in wet bag which goes in the wash at end of day. Go in kitchen to wash my hands properly. Sound ok?

With regards to me going to the toilet, I can only carry one baby safely. I didn't want to 'favor' one by taking one upstairs with me if you see what I mean... They are both fine if I leave them strapped into high chairs with toys in front as they then seem to be distracted and don't notice that I leave the room. I obviously have to check that all food bits are cleared away in case they choke while I am away. Do you think as long as I assess this procedure, it will be acceptable?

Thanks again for all your help, it's very much appreciated!!!!

nicoleon
18-11-2010, 09:34 AM
"They should be sitting down to eat and drink"

Just a questions re above. I thought water should be freely available to drink all day? I offer water all the time. if we had to sit down at the table for every drink, we would be sitting there all day. is it ok to offer drink when they sit on the playmat?

Thanks again

primula
25-11-2010, 09:09 AM
Dont ofsted prefer you to use gloves to change nappies??

singlewiththree
25-11-2010, 09:26 AM
"They should be sitting down to eat and drink"

Just a questions re above. I thought water should be freely available to drink all day? I offer water all the time. if we had to sit down at the table for every drink, we would be sitting there all day. is it ok to offer drink when they sit on the playmat?

Thanks again

I have water freely available and just ask them to sit down to drink it. We then obviously have snacks and drinks at the table.