PDA

View Full Version : REGISTRATION: NUMBER oF KIDS UNDER 5

tracyanne
12-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi there,

I am seriously looking into starting my own childminding business. I am however, doing things a bit different than usual as I hope my business will grow into a nursery (if I ever get enough cash together to put a deposit down on a house!!). I only want to cater for 3 to 5 year olds as I am studying a Pre School Diploma and it is this age group that I am passionate about educating!

I have worked out a business plan, and in order to make this financially viable I need 2 assistants ( 8 kids + my daughter) - my only other option is 6 kids + 1 assistant but my daughter would have to remain in her nursery then (so that I still recieve tax credits as opposed to not - I am a single mum) and as I believe my education will be more beneficial to my daughter (being more 'wholistically' inclined), this would be such a pity!!!

So my big question is.. does anybody have 2 assistants? Does anybody have 9 children under 5? Does anyone think Ofsted will accept such a proposal? I know space is an issue as well, so I am looking for a house with 2 big receptions (approximate size 25 squared meters).. the big risk is that I get the house based on 9 children (under 5) and then I don't get the numbers from Ofsted for registration.. Any advice would be greatly appriciated!:D (Please note I have posted this on the registration section as well as it pertains to both)

tracyanne
12-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Tracy, I have merged your threads so we don't lose Pauline's words of wisdom :D

katickles
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Sorry - I can't help you with this one but didn't want to read & run with out saying good luck!

I'm sure that somebody will be along soon that can help - or you could always ring ofsted for there advice?!? :)

Pauline
12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
You would probably be ok, but if you had more than three of you working then you would be classed as a nursery anyway and liable for business rates.

However, some councils still make you register as a business with only one assistant so it might be best to contact them and ask, they will take into account parking in the area etc. you might even have to get planning permission.

A friend of mine was turned down to co-mind with her friend because they lived on a cul-de-sac and the parking was a big issue.

Hope that helps.

miffy
12-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Sorry can't help - you might get more replies if this was in the registered assistants section

If a moderator spots it they will move it for you otherwise you could pm them and ask for it to be moved

miffy xx

Pipsqueak
12-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Sorry for me too - I cannot help you on this one.

It might be a subject that you would have to broach directly with Ofsted or at the very least your local Early Years Team.

Good luck

sarah707
12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Tracy... I moved you to assistants... you might get more replies here.

I am confused why you would register as a childminder and leave you dd in nursery..? Your tax credits will change when you start declaring an income, not dependent on where your dd is educated. I get working and child tax credit as a single mother and my 2 are at high school. I suggest you speak to someone from the CAB and get your benefits sorted for if you start earning as 6 or 9 children will bring in a lot of income which will really affect them big time.

Good luck with everything... :D

tracyanne
13-04-2008, 11:07 AM
oh thanks for that..that did not cross my mind.. I will have to have 8 kids + my child then.. has anyone done this??

cuddlybunny38
13-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I am a registered minder and work in my home with my daughter, i have a 3 beroom house, with lounge, kitchen, dining room and we can have 6 under 5 but no more or 3 under 5 and 3 over, we cant have over 6 children under 8 at any time in the house, so dont know if that helps you at all would contact ofsted and see what they suggest.

Minnie Minx
13-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I would also ask your council for advice, you may need plannign permission etc to work from home with that many children. Good luck and please let us know how you get on as i think it's a brill idea to grow into a nursery.

xxx