PDA

View Full Version : How on earth do you start?

Jo Hadfield
17-11-2010, 07:14 PM
How do you start recording your observations?
I have a plan for my week ie bugs ,plan activities around that.If I make an ob to do with that how do I record it?
I know my chilldren inside out, but I can not do paper work,and it will hold me back on a good rating from Mrs O and that isnt right.
Thanks ladies,I am at the point of giving it all up to be honest.
Jo

sarah707
17-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Don't give up! We're here to help.

Observations are what you see and hear that tell you something about the child's learning and development.

They might also come from the child who asks you to take a photo of something they have made or done.

They might come from the child's parents or even the child's nursery if a key worker comments about something they have enjoyed there.

Observations need to tell the reader something...

Jack enjoyed playing outside ... how do you know? What does this tell you? Who is going to know anything about Jack from reading that?

Instead think about ... Jack played with the balls. He threw them into a hoop - we know that jack is practising his gross motor skills by throwing and learning to aim which links in with problem solving (how to get the ball in the hoop).

Jack liked the playdough... how do you know? This again tells you very little.

Jack made shapes with the playdough - he said they were the number jacks ... Jack likes numberjacks (you can plan more activities based on that programme). He is also showing an interest in shapes... hmmm what other shapes might he enjoy exploring?

Do you see how using a few carefully chosen words can change the whole meaning of something?

Hth :D

Rain or Shine
17-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't give up! We're here to help.

Observations are what you see and hear that tell you something about the child's learning and development.

They might also come from the child who asks you to take a photo of something they have made or done.

They might come from the child's parents or even the child's nursery if a key worker comments about something they have enjoyed there.

Observations need to tell the reader something...

Jack enjoyed playing outside ... how do you know? What does this tell you? Who is going to know anything about Jack from reading that?

Instead think about ... Jack played with the balls. He threw them into a hoop - we know that jack is practising his gross motor skills by throwing and learning to aim which links in with problem solving (how to get the ball in the hoop).

Jack liked the playdough... how do you know? This again tells you very little.

Jack made shapes with the playdough - he said they were the number jacks ... Jack likes numberjacks (you can plan more activities based on that programme). He is also showing an interest in shapes... hmmm what other shapes might he enjoy exploring?

Do you see how using a few carefully chosen words can change the whole meaning of something?

Hth :D

Just like that :clapping: :laughing: