PDA

View Full Version : Potty trained over the weekend!

Tippy Toes
17-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Hello

Had parent call 7.30 this morning (child due at 7.45) to let me know child had been potty trained over the weekend...parent said child says when needs a wee but hasnt pooed in potty yet and has only had 1 accident!

Child has since pooed herself twice and wet herself, has been all over my floor :(

Just wondering what to do? Should I tell parent I would rather child came in pull ups until potty training is more established?

Help please!

Thanks.

Zoomie
17-11-2010, 02:01 PM
how old is child ?

have you seen any clues to confirm that child may be ready to potty train ?

Sometimes i think parent see the child make one wee in the potty and they go all sirens blazing.

My own DD was 8 months between first wee and fnally starting potty training. She just wasn't emotionally ready to do it full time :)

Louise B
17-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Is this their first/only child? I remember with my oldest daughter, she went on the potty one day, really well all day, so that night I just put her pyjamas on, completely oblivious to the fact that she wouldn't be able to go through the night, etc... she woke up with a sopping wet bed! I just wonder if they're a little bit naive to think she'll just do it overnight, or maybe they've just been lucky over the weekend? I'm going through similar with my youngest, she'll sit on the potty for hours, but only done 2 wees so far, but it's so busy here I can't keep spending time coaxing her. I'm sure you haven't got time to spend following this little girl around if she's not ready either?

I think the pullups is a good idea, or keep asking her literally every 20 minutes to see if she needs to go. My oldest took a few weeks to poo on the potty, and the middle one would only poo, not wee! lol.

Good luck though, it's a difficult time isn't it, especially if you want to go out and about.xxx

Carol M
17-11-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a lo who has trained his parents to sit him on the potty regularly!
He is nearly 3 and shows no interest at all of doing it for himself.
Still not even saying when he's done a poo, quite happily sit in it all day long!
I have directed parents to websites for info, just not sure how to turn this round.
Carol xx

little chickee
17-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I would tell parents that the child needs to have gone a full week with no accidents before you will accept in pants.

Child clearly hasnt got the hang of it yet. There is to my mind a difference between being ready to toilet train and being toilet trained - 2 very different stages.

I would be willing to support "toilet training" by having child in a pull up and taking to the toilet reguarly but would not have child in pants until reliabley "toilet trained".

sfox2003
17-11-2010, 05:37 PM
I have a parent who wants to potty train, but I dont think the child is ready at all.

First time parents can feel a lot of pressure to get things started. I keep telling her that if she feels shes ready to start it at home (3 days in between days with me) and if by the 4th day shes managing ok then bring her to me in a pull up.

Personally I didnt use pull ups for my daughter, we just went to knickers. But being a childminder, I dont particularly want lots of other children having accidents. I would probably make the decision to switch to knickers/underpants after a week of being dry.

Id ask if they would mind using pull ups for a week.

Good luck

candy cat
17-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't like pull ups as I personally think children need to feel themselves going..... my daughter was 2 yrs 3 months and it as taken about 3 months to actually fetch the potty herself,we still get a few accidents with poos:blush:
My only advise is lots of small towels everywhere...I banned my daughter from sitting on sofa when in early stages (sorry cruel mummy but, it's new!) and in the carseat/push chair i put a spare thin change mat that has toweling one side and plastic other......If she continues then parents may get the message shes not ready:rolleyes: good luck x

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
17-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi I am potty training my dd2 at the moment and we are on the second week and she now goes to the potty herself and does a wee or if she cannot see the potty she asks for it. When I go out I do put a pull up on as she gets so carried away with playing that sometimes she forgets and wee's but she will tell me. This week she has been pooing in the potty as well which is brilliant, I am going to give her another week and then just put pants on to go.