PDA

View Full Version : CCTV

mballham
16-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I am currently writing a report into the use of cctv and webcams by childminders as well as producing guidance upon data protection.

I would greatly appreciate any comments on this matter - including reasons why you have or haven't got CCTV, what steps you have taken as protection and if possible copies of the policies you have in place.

Mark

Pauline
16-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi,

I am currently writing a report into the use of cctv and webcams by childminders as well as producing guidance upon data protection.

I would greatly appreciate any comments on this matter - including reasons why you have or haven't got CCTV, what steps you have taken as protection and if possible copies of the policies you have in place.

Mark

Before the members answer could I just ask for a little more background on your request for information.

Is the research for a business? How will the information that members share be used?

Hope you understand the need to ask :)

mballham
22-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Pauline,

The research is for NCMA as part of safeguarding development and the information will be used for developing a factsheet on considerations for childminders if they have or want to have such in place. It would also enable us to see how common this practice is.

I have also been asked to provide feedback to London councils who would like to include this in their own guidance for home-based childcarers

Kind regards

Mark

Pauline
22-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the information Mark. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
22-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Without wishing to appear rude, I would have thought the first place NCMA would have gone would be their membership.

If this is being done for NCMA and you/they need the view of Childminders on this, why as a member have I heard nothing at all about this. I have just attended National Conference and attended Members Focus Groups and this was not mentioned at all. Nor was it mentioned on their stand promoting Child Protection Training.

I also attend Regional Forum Meetings and haven't heard a whisper of any reseach or impending recomendations being made by NCMA on this subject.

I would have thought this would be an ideal subject for the Policy Forum to ask for feedback on.

How do other NCMA members on the Forum feel?

In fact having thought about it I will be contacting NCMA Head Office about this over the next couple of days to find out about the survey. Watch this space. It also bothers me a bit that Mark has not named the Charity for whom he is working.

Playmate
22-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Without wishing to appear rude, I would have thought the first place NCMA would have gone would be their membership.

If this is being done for NCMA and you/they need the view of Childminders on this, why as a member have I heard nothing at all about this. I have just attended National Conference and attended Members Focus Groups and this was not mentioned at all. Nor was it mentioned on their stand promoting Child Protection Training.

I also attend Regional Forum Meetings and haven't heard a whisper of any reseach or impending recomendations being made by NCMA on this subject.

I would have thought this would be an ideal subject for the Policy Forum to ask for feedback on.

How do other NCMA members on the Forum feel?

I totally agree.

Hebs
22-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I totally agree.

me too

and couldnt the use of CCTV in itself be a breach of confidentuality (spl?) and be a safeguarding issue???

rickysmiths
22-11-2010, 11:24 PM
me too

and couldnt the use of CCTV in itself be a breach of confidentuality (spl?) and be a safeguarding issue???

I guess it would depend on who had access. The idea of them I think is that parents can access them during the day and watch what their los are doing and that they are safe. Frankly I don't think any of my parents would have the time, nor would their employers be impressed if they were online watching their los! It was fairly high profile for Day Nurseries a few years ago but seems to have rather dissappeared. It is prob someone as a result of the Plymouth Nursery affair and the photos that has raised the issue again.

Though I believe when there was cctv it wasn't in the toilet and changing areas anyway for obvious reasons. I think it is all a bit iffy. What if a parent was logged on while at work and stepped away from their computer for a second and was delayed. Who else could then be watching? What would happen if they recorded stuff and used it inappropriatly?, made an allegation? What about Data Protection and Safeguarding us? I think in Home settings it could open a can of worms. Also what about the parents who do not give consent to have photos taken? and the list goes on.......

glitzygal
22-11-2010, 11:33 PM
WHAT about protecting us, our confidentiality, what if it had not been turned off, and parents working over time ,, i dont want the risk of parents, even ones who may have a thing for us, be watching late at night at work,

i non of us have things to hide, so what if a parent wanted to get out of paying for childcare, they would make some thing up,

i am in NCMA and i havent had any paper work on the issue.

its another gimick to get us to pay for.:(

Blaze
23-11-2010, 12:32 AM
This is my home - what if the feed was hacked? Also great way for a burgular to have a good look around my home without my knowledge! No thank you very much - I'm entitled to some privacy - I already feel like I live in a goldfish bowl!

I also think that it would cause untold problems re changing / nappy changes & potty training - because all parents would be able to view all children & for my play area to be covered so would all of the other things...not to emntion the Lo I used to mind, that would strip at the drop of a hat - far to much potential for abuse IMHO.

In theory yes - caould offer us protection, in practice think it would cause more problems then it would solve.

PS I have had a child throw up all over me - my only option was to strip both myself & the child to my undies to contain the mess then get us both dressed & clean up - I really wouldn't fancy that being broadcast to all of my parents! In addition, by just logging in they could et a snap shot completly squewed of the full situation, in which case you would then have to provide the parent with a time frame to time frame copy to show the full picture - more work - & the potential problems keep on coming!

mama2three
23-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I do know a minder who uses cctv , not to broadcast though but for their own use. One has it in the playroom so she can keep an eye on the bigger ones whilst making dinner etc.. Im not aware of any safeguarding implications ..its not recorded and parents / children are aware it is in use.
No need for it here , I can see all minding areas.

rickysmiths
23-11-2010, 09:09 AM
I do know a minder who uses cctv , not to broadcast though but for their own use. One has it in the playroom so she can keep an eye on the bigger ones whilst making dinner etc.. Im not aware of any safeguarding implications ..its not recorded and parents / children are aware it is in use.
No need for it here , I can see all minding areas.

Now that is a positive use a bit like using a baby moitor when a baby is sleeping and some of those have a camera.

rickysmiths
23-11-2010, 09:12 AM
This is my home - what if the feed was hacked? Also great way for a burgular to have a good look around my home without my knowledge! No thank you very much - I'm entitled to some privacy - I already feel like I live in a goldfish bowl!

I also think that it would cause untold problems re changing / nappy changes & potty training - because all parents would be able to view all children & for my play area to be covered so would all of the other things...not to emntion the Lo I used to mind, that would strip at the drop of a hat - far to much potential for abuse IMHO.

In theory yes - caould offer us protection, in practice think it would cause more problems then it would solve.

PS I have had a child throw up all over me - my only option was to strip both myself & the child to my undies to contain the mess then get us both dressed & clean up - I really wouldn't fancy that being broadcast to all of my parents! In addition, by just logging in they could et a snap shot completly squewed of the full situation, in which case you would then have to provide the parent with a time frame to time frame copy to show the full picture - more work - & the potential problems keep on coming!

This crossed my mind as well Blaze. I think these people forget that we are working in our homes, not an institution that closes at 7pm and everyone goes home.

Heaven Scent
23-11-2010, 10:03 AM
i'm sorry this is my home and it is a total NO NO for all the reasons that are mentioned above - I don't want other people spying on my children!!!!!!!

mballham
25-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I actually work for NCMA and am doing the survey on my own accord as its a way to get a wide range of feedback quickly

mballham
25-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Also - the reason why this hasn't come through the normal channels of communication is because it recently came to my attention and I have done this of my own accord to get an overview of how common the practice is, nothing more - and this includes non NCMA childminders as well as NCMA members.

I am sorry for the mix up

Mark

manjay
25-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I actually work for NCMA and am doing the survey on my own accord as its a way to get a wide range of feedback quickly

Good for you:thumbsup:

Personally I don't see anything wrong in what you are asking or the way you are going about it.

In my setting CCTV is used only in my entrance porch. This is to enable me to see from our play areas which parent is arriving. This means I then can minimise the children playing up at home time. The fact that I do this is made aware to the parents when the first sign up as I think that is only fair.

I don't use it in any of the childminding areasas tbh my house is not big enough to warrant it. I have thought about using one of the baby sleep camera monitors but instead I have just moved the sleep area downstairs.

Please let us know how you get on with the rest of your research.