PDA

View Full Version : conjuctivitas

lou lou
15-11-2010, 06:40 PM
my daughter seems to have developed conjuctivitas this afternoon my question is what is the policy on this and can i still send her to playschool in my sickness poliicy it says they dont need to be kept away unless ill but i have heard other people say different and that she should not go, she is well in herself, just wondering what you do. I have told parents and they are still happy to bring the children

candy cat
15-11-2010, 06:44 PM
as long as being treated it should be find and just be extra vigilant with handwashing etc as very contagious:)

prettysunflower
15-11-2010, 07:05 PM
There is no exclusion time for conjunctivitis :)
The health protection agency (www.hpa.org.uk) have a poster available to download, the title is Guidance on infection control in schools and other childcare settings sorry don't seem to be able to add a link!
It's a really useful poster, i've got mine on my noticeboard for parents to see :)

Carol M
15-11-2010, 08:14 PM
No, there is no exclusion times for conjunctivitis stated but you have to remember diseases like this are very difficult to control in Early Years settings.
Because young children can not competently take care of hygiene, it spreads like wildfire.It is not only passed on by direct contact but also in coughing and sneezing and lo's rarely use tissues to cough or sneeze into, increasing the risk of cross infection.
I think it does say somewhere on the hpa website that the exclusion periods stated take into account all settings from early years through to schools and High schools and that certain diseases, conjunctivitis being one, are difficult to control in EY for the reasons I said above.
I exclude for conjunctivitis untill eyes have been treated and have stopped discharging and the child is well.
You will have to check your dd's playschools policy.
Carol xx

miffy
15-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I also exclude for conjunctivitis because it is so easily spread. But if caught quickly it's easily treated and child can return once eyes have stopped discharging.

The hpa gives guidelines but it is up to individual settings to decide their policy so you need to check with your dd's playgroup.

Miffy xx