PDA

View Full Version : stuck on what to do it a child is abused

sammykins
15-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi sorry to sound so dumb, but it was a while ago since i did my child protection course! this hasnt happened but, if i noticed a child with brusies on him/her then would i ask the parent how it happened, as i would..... but i just have a feeling that in my course i attended there were certain types of abuse that you should ask the parents about and some you shouldnt. I have a feeling that you shouldnt ask a parent if its physical or sexual abuse, could someone clear this up for me please?

Thanks

dolly daycare
15-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi,

On our recent ICC course we were told, that we should only question the parents, if we felt it wouldn't put the child or ourselves and family at any further risk. If we feel that the child would be put at risk, we should go straight to the social care team.

kindredspirits
15-11-2010, 04:10 PM
there are certain areas that are difficult to bruise naturally - like the bottom cheeks, ears. Also with something like a cigarette burn if its just a round mark its more suspect than a round mark with a tail (like ash had been brushed away quickly).

I believe that if you suspect a parent you should not ask them about it as they are more likely to cover their tracks or stop bringing the child to you.
If you have any concerns you are far better to contact your local safeguarding board. Have you got the booklet 'what to do if you think a child is being abused'?? If not contact your LA and they should be able to forward one to you.

hth a bit - if i've missed anything please feel free to add. :thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
15-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I did mine 2 years ago but I'm sure I remember being told that if it was sexual abuse you suspected then you didn't ask the parent because it could be the parent doing the abuse and you wouldn't want to alert them to the fact you knew. You then phoned local safeguarding board and they would then advise you what to do next.

Not sure about physical though but any other sort you need to tell parent before you ring safeguarding board.

I think thats right but hoepfully someone will come along soon who has done one more recently and clarify or put me right.

Penny1959
15-11-2010, 05:00 PM
there are certain areas that are difficult to bruise naturally - like the bottom cheeks, ears. Also with something like a cigarette burn if its just a round mark its more suspect than a round mark with a tail (like ash had been brushed away quickly).

I believe that if you suspect a parent you should not ask them about it as they are more likely to cover their tracks or stop bringing the child to you.
If you have any concerns you are far better to contact your local safeguarding board. Have you got the booklet 'what to do if you think a child is being abused'?? If not contact your LA and they should be able to forward one to you.hth a bit - if i've missed anything please feel free to add. :thumbsup:

Excellent advice - and just what I would have advised when a Childminding Development Officier.

While talking to you LA - might be worth asking if any courses coming up as sounds like a refresher course would be useful - Or do one of those online ones - can't remember details but I found the one I did to be excellent.

Penny :)

appleblossom
16-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I did a safeguarding refresher course last night. We were reminded that we must record existing injuries (any bruises or other marks which children have when they arrive on any day in our setting). The existing injuries form I have is to be signed by the parent as well as myself which would be difficult to do if we could not ask how the injury was caused. I was trained that we should ask for an explanation for bruises, bumps, cuts etc. unless it may be sexual abuse. We have also always been told that if a child tells you how they sustained any injury then we should not tell the parent that the child has told us, rather we should listen to the parent's explanation as well.