PDA

View Full Version : adhoc school run with 2 15 month olds

newandlearning
15-11-2010, 01:54 PM
hi everyone...

occasionally I'm going to be having the 2 15 month olds I mind on the same day and will need to do a school run with them...

I don't have a double buggy and don't know anyone who does so I'm thinking of putting 1 in a sling and the heavier one in the buggy...

do you think this is do-able or could there be another solution I've not yet thought of?

thanks for reading. :)

marnieb
15-11-2010, 02:06 PM
15 month old will cripple your back!!! It might sound okay in your head, but what happens when it's snowing??

Andrea08
15-11-2010, 02:07 PM
your could but think of your back hun i would invest in a good quality 2nd hand double pram you will use it for years and put it through your books xx

The Juggler
15-11-2010, 02:14 PM
i agree, it's worth investing if these requests come more and more frequent. Or ask your local early years team, there is sometimes a central resource of equipment you can borrow from.:)

FussyElmo
15-11-2010, 02:20 PM
My ds did go on a buggy board at this age but it was not an ideal solution depends on how long your walk is.

Must agree with the others a double buggy is probably your best bet :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
15-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I wouldnt wear a 15mo on my front but if you have a back carrier it should be fine, I still carry my 3yo sometimes. You do need to think about weather tho, if it is heaving it down how will you keep them warm?

mrs_scottydog
15-11-2010, 02:32 PM
When I first took on my mindee in September, I used to carry my DS in the rucksack carrier we've got and my mindee in the buggy. This was ok for short walks but after the first couple of weeks I changed my mind and had to get a double buggy. My mindee is 2 and my DS is 23 months so even though I'm used to carrying my DS (we didn't have a buggy til he was 6 months, then got buggy and carrier) I found him very heavy and back started to ache.
I would suggest investing in a double buggy, I was lucky and managed to get a brand new one off ebay for £100. It was definitely worth it though and I've put it through my books. :) Hx

If you do decide to use the sling, please check the weight limit on it first - most are only suitable up to the age of 6-9 months. Hx

BlondeMoment
15-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I picked up a great double buggy on E bay! Looked at the local pick up ones and there was loads! I really think you'll need one. 15 mth olds are heavy!!!

I think you'll get plenty of use in the future. It's the first thing I'd advise any childminder to get. I use mine every day now even tho I do have a single too

PixiePetal
15-11-2010, 04:11 PM
My DS was 2 stone in weight at 1yr old - even gave up putting him in the backpack :rolleyes:

I would get a 2nd hand double buggy :thumbsup:

youarewhatyoueat
15-11-2010, 04:52 PM
You need to supply appropriate equipment to meet the childrens needs. You don't need to buy new so have a look on ebay, freecycle and your local netmums site and put an advert up at school. good luck

newandlearning
16-11-2010, 08:28 AM
You need to supply appropriate equipment to meet the childrens needs. You don't need to buy new so have a look on ebay, freecycle and your local netmums site and put an advert up at school. good luck

hi.. yes I totally agree with you when you know the care is a regular thing .. on this occasion the mum who wanted the extra care then cancelled it .. I would have been a bit put out if I'd bought a buggy if you know what I mean :)

rickysmiths
16-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Do you have a local childrens centre who could put you in touch with a childminding group locally? Then you may find a local cm who has a spare double that they might lend you.

How far do you have to walk? My just two year old started walking to school and back last Feb when he was 15mths but we do only have a five min walk. Mind you he now happyly walks a mile to cm group and back!

I must confess living in a small town with lots of hills I do get my mindees walking as quick as I can, it saves my back pushing a heavy buggy.

AliceK
16-11-2010, 10:33 AM
You should be able to get a good 2nd hand double buggy quite cheap. I got 2 when I first started out before I could really afford to buy brand new. I prefer to have the LO's in a buggy at this time of year so that I can get to school and back as quick as poss in this cold / damp / wet weather and I can chuck everything in the basket underneath when needed.

xxxxx

Helen79
16-11-2010, 11:57 AM
If it's not regular and not far too walk then I would sling the lighter one. You could get a cheap rain cape to wrap around mindee in the sling in bad weather.
I find it much easier with one my back and pushing a single buggy than pushing a double. I live at the top of a hill and would rather be wearing the weight on my back than having to push.

rickysmiths
16-11-2010, 01:23 PM
If it's not regular and not far too walk then I would sling the lighter one. You could get a cheap rain cape to wrap around mindee in the sling in bad weather.
I find it much easier with one my back and pushing a single buggy than pushing a double. I live at the top of a hill and would rather be wearing the weight on my back than having to push.

:eek: I can't imagine carrying a child of 15 months old, they would have to be feather weight. I currently have a 10th who is too big to carry in a sling. You are all amazing to even consider it. Please be very careful of your backs.

Helen79
16-11-2010, 02:33 PM
I can't imagine carrying a child of 15 months old, they would have to be feather weight. I currently have a 10th who is too big to carry in a sling. You are all amazing to even consider it. Please be very careful of your backs.

It depends what sling you use. Mine is suitable up to 3 years old so spreads the weight evenly.

A single buggy weighing 9kg with a toddler in and then a 3 kg toddler on my back, so 12kg in total is so much better for my back and wrists than pushing 23kg of toddler and double buggy.

For longer walks like my school run which is an hour I couldn't use my sling with a toddler in though.

blue bear
16-11-2010, 04:11 PM
where are you? I have a friend who wants to move on a double buggy as she got a new one with her grant.

Minstrel
16-11-2010, 09:17 PM
Also think about if you want to go anywhere else with the two of them. Sleeping/feeding them on the go etc will all be easier with a double buggy.

Ripeberry
16-11-2010, 09:24 PM
My 2yr old mindee's mum sometimes comes to collect him without the car (live 2 miles away) and she has walked all the way with the pushchair and the baby, along a part of the road with no pavement :eek:
And, she then gets a kind of 'wrap' out, wraps it around herself, gets J onto her back, he puts his elbows in and then she wraps him up and ties it off on her front.
Just like an African child, then gets this massive fleece coat over the top of J and herself.
Looks a right sight :D
Don't know how she manages the hills :panic:

Helcatt
16-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes to the double option

When baby B started with me in Jan I had DD3 in a sling and pushed a double but it was terrible and it didn't take me long to find a triple on ebay. Not the best in the world but was only needed for 2 days a week so wasn't going to spend a fortune

IT hurt my back, she was upset and needed to sleep and couldn't get comfortable. I tried a buggy board, other mindee was 20m and would not stand up even though DD3 would happily, but really was too little

Think about the distance you would need to go and how practical it really is

HX

BlondeMoment
19-11-2010, 06:05 PM
hi.. yes I totally agree with you when you know the care is a regular thing .. on this occasion the mum who wanted the extra care then cancelled it .. I would have been a bit put out if I'd bought a buggy if you know what I mean :)

I'm pretty sure you'll need one eventually anyway x