PDA

View Full Version : confused

mushpea
14-11-2010, 05:08 PM
On friday a parent told me she had been made redundant,, is going to look for another job but cant afford to pay me if shes not working so i think i am getting written notice on monday which is for 2 weeks,,, I also have another parent who wants extra hours but cant as the 'made redundant' parent is using that space at the moment,, am i right that I can book the 'extra hours' parent in for when the 2 week period finishs even if the 'redundant' parent gives me notice then says she wants me again ,, am i right that once she has given notice that its then pot luck?
Want to give the other parent the hours as in the long run its more hours then the other parent so makes better buisness sense so thought i coiuld draw up a contract stating she can start in 2 weeks time,, that is ok isnt it?

Chatterbox Childcare
14-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I am confused too.

if parent 1 gives notice then when the notice period ends the vacancy is free. If you fill the vacancy then the redudant mum or anyone else cannot have it

Hope this is what you are asking

jane5
14-11-2010, 05:33 PM
As far as I know that's ok because the redundant parent is giving you 2 weeks notice and is not paying you after the two weeks, so the place is unfilled, so other parent can book it.

Once you have the notice in writing she cant change her mind.

Sure somebody else with more experience will be along soon:thumbsup:

francinejayne
14-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Sounds fine to me! Once she gives you notice I see no reason why you can't sign another contract with the other parent for the increase in hours.

I would probably tell the first parent that she may lose her space though when she gives you the notice letter, just so she is aware and it doesn't cause difficulties later on.

glitzygal
14-11-2010, 07:43 PM
i would write a newsletter,

putting exactly what your saying,

once LO termination notice has come,(date) you cannot guarante this space to her if and when she finds work.

the other child can have the extra hours.

that seems to have worked out nice for you,
good luck:thumbsup:

mushpea
14-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Am so pleased,, after posting redundant mum rang me and said she would rather pay for the space than loose me:D :D , often feel unapreciated in this job but now I'm happy :laughing:
oh but got to tell the other mum i now dont have the space,,,:blush:

glitzygal
14-11-2010, 07:54 PM
its funny how we worry over these things and then it works out ok any way without changing anything.:laughing:

could you not get variation, for the extra hours, mum wants,

:thumbsup:

appleblossom
14-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I had this in June. Dad of S (3 days per week) was made redundant, gave me 4 weeks notice. Last day was 30th June. He was looking for another job but obviously had no idea when he would get one. I said I would have to advertise as they couldn't even afford a retainer. I filled his place with E, from 8th June, again 3 days per week. However I still had one under 5 space which I wasn't intending to fill as I only like to have 2 under fives.

Then, on 30th June, the last day I was minding S, I get a phone call to say Dad has another job, starting in 3 days. Full time though, not 3 days as before. I hadn't the heart to say "Sorry the place is filled", especially as they knew I still had a space. Still, he started his 15 hours at pre-school in september, so at least I don't have 3 all week. I may have said no if it hadn't been for that.

It's just the chance they take if they don't pay even a retainer to hold the place.

mushpea
14-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I would ask for a variation but it would mean i would have 7 under 8's and I amm sure i read somwhere we can only have 6 in total but variate within the 6, I already have in place a variation for 4 under 5s 2 days a week and now have asked for a 3rd day for the very same child

glitzygal
14-11-2010, 08:09 PM
WHY dnt you ask, send a request, you have time to explaine to the other mum, if you dont get it then you cant do the extra hours.

the can say yes or no, and it hasnt been any trouble asking.
good luck