PDA

View Full Version : Policies.....

anisha
14-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Morning all, I was just wondering if someone can help. What is the procedure if you are suspected of abusing a child in your care. Has anyone got a policy on the above. I am writing up my policies and not sure where to start.

Pipsqueak
14-11-2010, 10:27 AM
You should be able to get information from your local Safeguarding Board - you will need the local numbers to go in your policy at the very least.
You need to also get a copy of What to do if you are worried a child is being abused - document.
You also need to see what it says in the EYFS

Have you attended a Safeguarding course?

Your basic procedure:

if you have concerns:

you will note any concerns
you may look for consistent/persistant - patterns and clusters
you will be aware of the signs of the 4 areas of abuse
you may approach the parents IF you think it is safe to do so to seek explanations
you may ask the child (oh how did you get that bruise?) but you will not make false promise nor will you ask leading questions

if you believe a child to be in danger/at risk you will speak to th Duty Desk LSCB (numbersxxxx)
you will follow this up in writing within 48hrs

other sources of advice - NSPCC (they are the only other organistation who have the power to act), NCMA Safeguarding line

hth

anisha
14-11-2010, 10:43 AM
You should be able to get information from your local Safeguarding Board - you will need the local numbers to go in your policy at the very least.
You need to also get a copy of What to do if you are worried a child is being abused - document.
You also need to see what it says in the EYFS

Have you attended a Safeguarding course?

No, but have booked myself for the next one available
Your basic procedure:

if you have concerns:

you will note any concerns
you may look for consistent/persistant - patterns and clusters
you will be aware of the signs of the 4 areas of abuse
you may approach the parents IF you think it is safe to do so to seek explanations
you may ask the child (oh how did you get that bruise?) but you will not make false promise nor will you ask leading questions

if you believe a child to be in danger/at risk you will speak to th Duty Desk LSCB (numbersxxxx)
you will follow this up in writing within 48hrs

other sources of advice - NSPCC (they are the only other organistation who have the power to act), NCMA Safeguarding line

hth

Thanks for your quick response, you have been very helpful :thumbsup:

kim-d
19-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Hi
The bromley website is a good site for outlines of policies.:laughing: