PDA

View Full Version : Can I look after over 8's?

Siana
13-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Think I'm getting confused with this!

I'm registered for 5 under 8's plus my own son. I'm also registered on the volutary register. My planning permission only permits me to care for 6 children (including my own).

I've read something that says that I need nvq 3 to care for over 8's, which I don't have.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please!

sarah707
13-11-2010, 09:31 PM
To work with children over the age of 8, you must be registered on the Childcare Register.

It is different from the Eyfs in many ways.

About qualifications, the Childcare register says -

'Childminders must have successfully completed a qualification at a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare, or training in the core skills as set out in the document ‘common core of skills and knowledge for the children’s workforce’

I'm not sure I would want more than 6 in the house at once but I know a lot of people do very nicely from their after schoolers.

Your planning permission might just be relevant for little ones, so I suggest you check that.

Your insurance will cover you for more than 6 children, so that's not a worry.

I hope this helps :D

Siana
13-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks Sarah.

My planning covers me to mind up to 6 children aged 0-18.

I wouldn't want over 6 children (the thought terrifies me!!) but not sure if I'm qualified enough to have over 8's should I get an enquiry to have an after schooler.

I've completed by ICP, but assume I need more than this to be at level 2, and therefore to look after over 8's?

sarah707
14-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Ask your local training people about the common core document and what is covered on there. I am not an expert.

I think it covers other qualifications such as ones you might have from school.

I think personally it's absolutely bonkers to expect childminders to have more formal qualifications to look after older children than babies but I didn't write the rules! :rolleyes:

Hth :D

Bear23
14-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Ask your local training people about the common core document and what is covered on there. I am not an expert.

I think it covers other qualifications such as ones you might have from school.

I think personally it's absolutely bonkers to expect childminders to have more formal qualifications to look after older children than babies but I didn't write the rules! :rolleyes:

Hth :D

is that right??? i need more qualifications to look after over 8's??? I look after three now :panic:

nokidshere
14-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Over-7s childminders (who are not required by law to register) care exclusively for children aged 8 and over. They are usually self-employed and tend to work in their own homes.

An over-7s childminder may:

•Pick-up and drop-off children from school.
•Support the children with their homework.
•Offer them a stimulating, relaxed and secure environment with other children of their age.
•Organise local and after-school activities.

The above is taken from the NCMA site. As far as I am aware you do not need to be registered to look after over 8's nor have I ever heard anywhere that you need extra training or even to have any specific qualification at all? Have I missed something?

Added:
I checked on the Ofsted website and it gives this link:
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/content/download/6939/71257/file/Registration%20not%20required.pdf

nokidshere
14-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I think the only thing I have seen in writing about caring for over 8's is that the amount of over 8's you care for must not impact on the care that you give to the children under 8.

sarah707
14-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Please see the top of page 4 of the requirements for registration on the childcare register for further clarification.

The Word copy takes ages to load up, Adobe reader version is much quicker.

Page 4 relates directly to qualifications but there are other differences between the 2 registers you might find interesting as well -

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Requirements-for-the-Childcare-Register-childminders-and-home-childcarers/%28language%29/eng-GB

:D

nokidshere
14-11-2010, 11:26 AM
The top of page 4 relating to training for a NVQ relates only to the voluntary part of the register though. So if you choose not to go on the voluntary part for your over 8's then its not necessary is it?

I only care for over 8's now and the above isn't really relevant to me as a) I have an NNEB and b)I am registered on both parts anyway.

But for anyone wanting to care for over 8's you can do so without being registered and/or trained (although its obviously better to be both as far as I am concerned) or am I still missing the point here?

sarah707
14-11-2010, 01:01 PM
The top of page 4 relating to training for a NVQ relates only to the voluntary part of the register though. So if you choose not to go on the voluntary part for your over 8's then its not necessary is it?

The OP was asking about being registered and the qualifications needed to care for over 8s.

I have posted a link to the statutory document for caring for over 5s which is broken down into 2 registers...

For children aged 5 – 7 years you will be expected to show you are complying with the regulations contained in the Compulsory Childcare Register;

For children aged 8 plus, you will be expected to show you are complying with the regulations contained in the Voluntary Childcare Register.

Therefore the qualifications information in the statutory document from Ofsted is directly relevant to the OP's question about requirements for being registered on the voluntary register.

If you care for over 8s and you are not registered on the Childcare Register (voluntary part) then you are not insured ...

there is also the added question of whether parents need to claim tax credits - using an unregistered, uninsured childminder makes this impossible as well.

So in my opinion for the purposes of answering questions on a forum such as this one where people come for advice and to get help that a reply advising non-registration to care for older children (and therefore advising someone to work uninsured) would be unwise advice.

I hope this clarifies :D

nokidshere
14-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Apologies - I missed that she was already on the voluntary register!

As for insurance - you can have public liability insurance for anything - you do not need to be on a register to get public liability insurance.

Lady Haha
14-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Ok, now I'm panicking again!!!! No formal qualifications at all and I care for a 9 yr old and three 8 yr olds, as well as some 7 and 6 year olds!!! This came up about a year ago and I remember panicking about it then, but then finding out I was ok, but I can't remember how now! I am pretty sure I rang Ofsted about it and they said I was fine. All I know is I calmed down again and forgot all about it until I read this post!!!

Then I thought, oh hang on, I've got none in EYFS now, so they won't come bothering me anyway:rolleyes:

sarah707
14-11-2010, 06:10 PM
As for insurance - you can have public liability insurance for anything - you do not need to be on a register to get public liability insurance.

I had no idea that childminders were able to buy insurance for working unregistered with Ofsted for over 8s. :eek:

I have checked in the past with both NCMA and MM and neither of them offer an unregistered childminder insurance.

In fact both state in their terms and conditions (and verbally when asked) that they will not insure any childminder until Ofsted have confirmed their registration and the childminder has their registration certificate and registration number in their hand.

Could you please share company names with members as I am sure the details will be of interest to people reading this thread. :D

Thank you! :D

charlie potato
14-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I care for 2 over 8's and i've only got my ICP and 'add on training through council' along with paediatric 1st aid etc. OFSTED are aware and my development officer. Neither have flagged an issue. xx

nokidshere
15-11-2010, 08:18 AM
I had no idea that childminders were able to buy insurance for working unregistered with Ofsted for over 8s. :eek:

I have checked in the past with both NCMA and MM and neither of them offer an unregistered childminder insurance.

In fact both state in their terms and conditions (and verbally when asked) that they will not insure any childminder until Ofsted have confirmed their registration and the childminder has their registration certificate and registration number in their hand.

Could you please share company names with members as I am sure the details will be of interest to people reading this thread. :D

Thank you! :D

I didn't say childminders insurance I said Public Liability Insurance. Everyone can buy insurance to cover themselves for loss/damage to persons or property on their premises or at events.