PDA

View Full Version : Left handed resources

Zoomie
13-11-2010, 04:01 PM
My youngest DD is left handed, whilst the rest of our family are all right handed, so I've only recently had to start thinking about this.

I have LH scissors, and I've heard of LH veggie peelers.

I have become aware that I also need change the mouse over, but are there other things I should start thinking about ?

Mouse
13-11-2010, 04:17 PM
There are lots of left handed sites if you google it, with loads of info.

http://www.lefthandedchildren.org/

http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/

Two of my sons are left handed, one totally, the other can manage with his right hand.
I've only ever bought left handed scissors & a left handed ruler. To be honest, they both manage perfectly well with "normal" things.

sarah707
13-11-2010, 04:36 PM
DS really gets benefit from a left handed pen! You can get them in stationery shops or places like EBay.

His writing looks a little less like a spider moving across the page, smudging as it goes when he uses it :laughing: :D

nannymcflea
13-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Apart from getting dd (11) a pair of l/h scissors and showing her different ways of angling her paper so she could choose the angle she writes at, we haven't done anything else!:blush:

She copes using the mouse r/h, played guitar r/h (both hands though of course).

She likes the "handwriting" pens from Berol best, though holds it such a bizzare way I can't actually describe it!

Our other dd is "normal":p

sue m
13-11-2010, 06:07 PM
OMG I'm not 'normal' :clapping:

ourmadhouse
13-11-2010, 06:55 PM
being lefthanded i can remember people trying to show me how to do my shoe laces up and them being rightys made it so much harder!

when eating out people always take my drink as i put mine on the left, next to theirs, it has worked the other way around too :blush:
when drawing or wrighting at the table sit your lefty child on the left end so not to bump elbows with right handed others.

oh the cutlery daw caused so many problems in our house when growing up. id put the cutlery away handles on the left and all the rightys moad how it was the wrong way round!
us leftys are known for adapting. we do it all the time every day that we hardly notice any more.

just make sure the teachers at school do know you have a lefty and the seating plan. it makes the world of difference trust me.

haribo
13-11-2010, 07:13 PM
im lefthanded but only for writing . everything else - using scissors ,peelers etc i use my right hand without thinking . not sure if this is because no special provision was made for me as i grew up or not though :)

sue m
13-11-2010, 07:19 PM
im lefthanded but only for writing . everything else - using scissors ,peelers etc i use my right hand without thinking . not sure if this is because no special provision was made for me as i grew up or not though :)

Oooh, me too! Strange. :D

Gizmo
13-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I am a leftie too and they say the most intelligent people are. My sis is as well and one of my dd's. I was trying to show my right handed dd how to tie laces and use scissors and we both got really confused, the only thing I can do right handed is knit.

catswhiskers
13-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm left-handed and so are two of my children and we all use the mouse on the right.

We've never really had any probs using things (maybe scissors are a bit awkward) but you just cope. Also when I iron I feel awkward.

nannymcflea
13-11-2010, 08:44 PM
OMG I'm not 'normal' :clapping:

:clapping: :clapping: lol.

miffy
13-11-2010, 08:45 PM

That made me laugh because I'm the opposite - I write with my right hand but play darts, tennis etc left handed!

Miffy xx

jo f
13-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Im a leftie and never really needed anything different. I have to admit I have an electric can opener!!!
The only time ive stuggled as such is mum could never learn me to knit- not a major issue!!!
It must have been awful for the lefties "back in the day" I bet not that long ago who were forced to do things right handed

sue m
13-11-2010, 10:04 PM
:clapping: :clapping: lol.

But you know that anyway! :laughing: :D

PixiePetal
13-11-2010, 10:26 PM
I am a confused righty! or a confused lefty!!

I write with right hand - well with a pen to be precise:laughing:

Iron right handed

Pour kettle with right hand unless I am mixing something in a jug/cup which I am pouring water into - then I hold it in my left :rolleyes:

Eat with knife in left hand, fork in right and spoon in right. Can't control a carving knife for meat though as carving knife and fork both belong in right hand - have to hold joint of meat still with my left hand and cut with knife in right. Have been known to cut my hand too :o

When I was a teen and did gymnastics I was left legged and cartwheels led with left side etc. Set floor routines had to be reversed for me as they were written for right handed/legged people. But I kick a ball with my right!

No way am I 'normal' then :laughing:

Helen Dempster
13-11-2010, 11:46 PM
I'm left handed and haven't had any real problems while growing up/in adult life. I do have to have a left handed spud peeler though, and left handed scissors. My hubby gets annoyed with me if I've spread the butter before him, cos it's all on the wrong side of the knife! I've never heard of a left handed ruler....? I do get in a bit of a knot with the pens the delivery men use (those silly electronic machines you have to sign, the pen wire isn't long enough to stretch to the left and I get in a right mess, much to their amusement! :blush:

Anyway, one thing I will say is

I LOVE BEING LEFT HANDED!!! :)

mrs_scottydog
13-11-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm left handed too. Anything like writing, painting, sewing I do left handed. I eat right handed aswell as using scissors, playing instruments and sports like tennis. Our potato peeler can be used with either hand and our can opener can be used both ways too. I can't say I've ever really struggled but I guess it depends how left handed your DD is. Hx

RainbowMum
14-11-2010, 08:42 AM
pampered chef do some knives that are serrated on both sides - so usable in the left hand.

DD 6 is a leftie - good tip about seating her on the left - not thought of that!

haribo
14-11-2010, 07:27 PM
its weird how different we all are ! the only thing i was confused about when at school was which hand to hold a raquet in -im still hopeless at tennis , badminton, table tennis etc . i often use the excuse im left handed haha , im prob just useless at them :rolleyes: i love being a leftie tho, think we are special :clapping:

sue m
14-11-2010, 07:40 PM
Same here - again. I never know which foot to kick a ball with either :panic:

charlie potato
14-11-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm left handed. I use a left handed potato peeler but apart from that i just get on with it and i think i'm ambidextrous. I used to sit next to a left hander at school. My son couldnt tie his laces til my right handed oh taught him because i confused him. I used to really annoy my friends at school as i could play with both hands. When playing rounders it fair rattled them. :D

mrs_scottydog
14-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Have also just remembered that when I was younger my mum used to sit me on the right and my sister on the left when we were painting therefore we could share the water and the paints which were put between us! Hx

mummyof3
14-11-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm left handed and so is dh, ds & ds only dd is right handed - odd one out :p :laughing:

I'm left handed for writing but right dominated in every other way - think it was because the school made me write with my right :angry: so I can do both but prefer left its neater :D

haribo
15-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Same here - again. I never know which foot to kick a ball with either :panic:

lol, i am left footed , had a big family game of footie one time, was fun , apparently its a big advantage to kick with the left foot and they all wanted me on their team ! think i missed my vocation in life :laughing: :laughing:

sue m
15-11-2010, 09:25 AM
lol, i am left footed , had a big family game of footie one time, was fun , apparently its a big advantage to kick with the left foot and they all wanted me on their team ! think i missed my vocation in life :laughing: :laughing:

Whichever foot I kick with, it goes completely in the wrong direction! :laughing:

charlie potato
15-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm left handed and so is dh, ds & ds only dd is right handed - odd one out :p :laughing:

I'm left handed for writing but right dominated in every other way - think it was because the school made me write with my right :angry: so I can do both but prefer left its neater :D

I think its awful being made to write with your right hand. I'm 31 and it was never an issue for me at school. I just wrote with my left. xx