PDA

View Full Version : Parent set on me babysitting

phoebe-alice
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I've been working for a parent for about 6 months now and things have always been a bit rocky but now, the dreaded question came up can you do babysitting....

Which I already explained my insurance does not cover me caring for her children in her own home. But no thats not enough shes been looking up loopholes and everything. And to be honest as well as me not being covered I prefer being in my own home I don't drive as yet I have no way of getting back and forth and I don't fancy a 3 mile walk in the early hours.

I said no why can't she just leave it. :angry: Just had a text saying she will employ me as a babysitter on the night not a childminder, yet I am still clearly a childminder not a babysitter and don't fancy it either. When I'm in my own home I know where everything is and can relax!

Oh well rant over, anybody got any tips on how I can show its a complete no? :rolleyes: Thanks guys

caz3007
12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
If you dont want to do it, then tell her you dont offer a babysitting service and dont work evenings. Your hours are x till x and thats it

kindredspirits
12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
just say 'no you are not happy to work without insurance' and you are not available in the evenings.

pinkbutterfly
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
You could have just said a straight no without making any excuses about the insurance.
In fact NCMA insurance (if you're with them) does cover you for babysitting but you have to use their babysitting checklist and riskasses her house.

phoebe-alice
12-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm Scotland so I think the companies are different up here, I rang them yesterday to make sure anyway and I wasn't covered. So not going to take any risks.
Yes its just hard when you have a parent that will do anything to ignore your decision but here goes hehe. Lets just hope the message gets to her, as I don't want to find myself with no cover and something happen as that will hit back as me as a childminder and keeping things professional.
I'm sure there are plenty of babysitters around aswell I don't have a clue at all how they work and how they are monitored.
But hope these headaches are over soon especially with this being my day off! :rolleyes:

The Juggler
12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
just be unavailable on the nights she asks for or offer to find her a local reliable teen. There's plenty looking for babysitting work on netmums including older nursery workers.

Tam's Tribe
12-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi

I am confused . . . you are a childminder and DO NOT OFFER babysitting services and you have said you do not want to babysit her children so that should be the end of it . . . you are self employed and decide how to run your business and that does NOT include babysitting.

There are lots of people who want to babysit, as well as agencies who offer experienced and checked babysitters, let her contact them.

Stick to your guns and please do not feel guilty.

Lovies
Tam
x

youarewhatyoueat
12-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Find a friend who wants to earn some money babysitting then you can just say that you can't do it but you have a friend who wants to, perhaps you have a friend who would be willing to spend an hour meeting them at yours so mum should be happy that they know each other.

FussyElmo
12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok repeat after me

No I dont want to babysit for you

The Juggler
12-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok repeat after me

exactly. tell her as you look after children all day every day either

(a) your children need you of an evening or
(b) babysitting is like a busman's holiday for you and you prefer to be child free in the evenings:laughing: :laughing:

Daisy1956
12-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I have had this happen to me including being asked to baby-sit on New Years Eve .Do they no realize we also have a life and that after a day looking after children we don't want to do it in the evenings as well. Stick to your guns and say NO.:)

phoebe-alice
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Ok repeat after me

Haha I love that! :clapping:
Don't worry I'll be sticking to my guns, after alot of snidey messages on her part I believe the penny has dropped, thank goodness.
Working tomorrow during the day though so I'll see how she treats me then.
I have had 3 enquiries this week and contract is due to be renewed so if she wants to treat me silly she knows where she can go.
Hope your all having a lovely evening with your feet up, thanks for the advise.

kymberly
13-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Good for you Phoebe.

I can't believe she would make snidey remarks, i'm sure she doesn't work day and night :angry:

I am willing to babysit if the price is right, that is, double time from 7pm to midnight then up another £2 on top of that after midnight. No one has asked yet :jump for joy: but if they did at least it would be worth my while hehe :laughing:

Good luck and let us know how it goes xx

berkschick
13-11-2010, 03:43 PM
I love babysitting! I sit 2 - 3 nights a week. I do a mixture of minded children, friends children, children off childcare.co.uk and I also work for Sitters.

But if you dont want to do it just say no, hopefully she will get the message soon!

nannymcflea
13-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Can I remind you that:

You do NOT work FOR any parent, you do NOT work FOR anyone, apart from yourself.

You run a business offering a service, parent pays you for a service, she is contracted to use that service, not the other way round!

You do not have to justify yourself to this woman or anyone else regarding babysitting.:angry:

Glad you're sticking to your guns.

crazyhazy
14-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Not that it's relevant if you don't want to do babysitting, but I'm in scotland too and scma insurance DOES cover you for babysitting as long as a check list is completed.