PDA

View Full Version : school refusing to advertise

Lincsminder
11-04-2008, 09:00 PM
One of the minders I support is having trouble filling spaces, one of the things I suggested is that she puts up a notice in the local schools or see if she can leave some leaflets in their office. Now this childminder has been to the local school and they are refusing to even take her details they say they have their own afterschool club so wont advertise any one else. I think this is a bit mean as not all their parents want to use the club so they are not giving them a choice. The local vacancy co-ordinator is supposed to work with the school to match parents so not sure how that will work. Are any of your local schools like this?

Rubybubbles
11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
not at all! my .local school and afterschool club is brilliant at passing my number one:clapping:

Pipsqueak
11-04-2008, 09:05 PM
The local schools round here won't even entertain the idea of taking your number to pass on or passing out leaflets in the kids bags:(

charleyfarley
11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
I had the same problem, school will not advertise my childminding services due to their breakfast club and after school club although they wouldn't admit it.

Carol xx

manjay
11-04-2008, 09:12 PM
It must depend on the schools. Two of my families have come from recommendations from our headmistress!

it does seem a bit unfair

amanda xx

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
The school have passed on my number a couple of times, infact you have just reminded me to pop in and give them my new number!

sarah707
11-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I'm full because of my local school... :D

Twinkles
11-04-2008, 09:52 PM
The two schools I pick up from let me advertise. I can't believe they're allowed not to ? So much for working in partnership.

Gherkin
12-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Have to say that my local schools will not advertise for me - apparantly they cannot show favourites.:(

angeldelight
12-04-2008, 07:23 AM
I think that is really mean - its not likely you would be able to take lots of business away from them in the first place is it due to our numbers

How stupid

Also you may only want children during the holidays when the schools are closed

I think they are being petty to be honest

Angel xx

Pauline
12-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Ours is brilliant too. The afterschool club even have our business cards on their desk.

The head positively welcomes us into school, offering rooms for us to meet etc.

If I were you or your friend, I would vist the head and point out that they are supposed to be supporting all types of care via the local 'wrap around care' initiative.

Tatia
12-04-2008, 08:20 AM
I was gonna say what Pauline has said. The new push is all about offering parents choice. Maybe a gentle reminder is in order.

Our local school is amazing. The new children's centre is attached to it and while we were waiting for it to be built, the head offered us use of schoool rooms to hold our drop-in group and has been very friendly. They also have my details if anyone needs them. It might be because they only have a breakfast club and no afer-school club and have to prove to OFSTED they are working in partnership with childminders but that would be the cynical viewpoint, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

No, seriously, I have a great relationship with the school (running booths at PTA functions and such in return for advertising my business) and my own child doesn't even go there, just my mindees.

avril
12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
My sons school won't let us advertise as they have a breakfast/afterschool club who hire the hall from the school so passes all the business that way:angry: . BUT they are running a race night in May and requesting advertising £10 per advert so a group of us minders have put an advert together!:clapping: :clapping:

Avril x:)

miffy
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
My local school used to pass on my number but that was under the old headmaster and before the after-school club started

Not sure now because I haven't asked them - I might be Ok though as I did look after the deputy heads daughter :laughing:

miffy xx

susi513
13-04-2008, 05:10 PM
My school isn't like that, our head was agreeable when I asked. But then I've made a point to accost her in the corridor about my own children I've heard some schools have always been reluctant to give out details though, not wanting it to be thought they were endorsing or recommending any particular childcarer. So for those ones its helpful to provide a list of local childminders rather than just your own details.

There is only an after school club at our school, no breakfast or holiday care. And lots of parents don't like to use the after school club - reasons I've been given are :- too noisy to do homework, too much noise/crowded so frightening for one reception child, no dinners, not being able to take to sports activities/rainbows or beavers etc. And some are just against the principle of a child being at school for so long.

I went to a meeting a long while ago on extended schools and while most of it went over my head as irrelevant it was very strongly put that childminders would not lose work in such a way as you describe. But no real argument or strategy to prevent such a scenario IMO. Schools are not supposed to provide the childcare themselves, it was said, but to provide information on existing services and only where its clear there are insufficient local services would there be a requirement to make provision available in the school, which would not be detrimental to any existing service providers.

Suggest contacting NCMA. Also maybe write to the head asking for written clarification of the reasons they are withholding information from parents and limiting their freedom of choice - you are not trying to take people away from the afterschool club simply ensuring parents have the means to be able to make an informed choice. Childminders here hold each others details and give out to parents, mainly when we're full but we also advise parents to visit several childcare providers for obvious reasons.

:D JMHO - if they are afraid of parents checking out childminders, could it be because they KNOW how good you are ? :D Shows a lack of confidence in the quality of the provision at school :D :D

If they continue to be petty, consider - they can't stop you handing out flyers outside the school gates. Our school is used by lots of community groups - Jumble sales, brownies, toddler group, WI, etc so I would ask those who have their own notice boards to put up my poster on their board, those that don't might agree to hand out flyers to their members or put out a pile of business cards on the desk on the way in, etc. Anything like that possible at your school

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
14-04-2008, 06:32 AM
My daughters school will not let us advertise because of the school club but the other school by me will let you advertise with no problems at all.

Like you say think it just depends on the head of the school.

Lorraine xx