PDA

View Full Version : ROLE PLAY AREA

Sarahbelle
12-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi all, I need some help please

My CMDO has said that some kind of role play area where the children can go and sit and be quiet/private would be a good idea.

The problem is I don't have much space and use my living room to play in, so any kind of role play area has to be taken down at the end of the day and packed away with the rest of my toys. I also don't have much money so I need to utilise what I have.

So I am thinking I will use a tent. I have two for indoor use. A pop up one and a fabric and pole tent that is red. I am not that great at getting creative so am a bit stumped as to how to turn it into a kind of winter wonderland area (my next two themes are Christmas and Winter). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

moogster1a
12-11-2010, 07:49 AM
if you've got a coffee table or dining table drape a sheet over it when the urge to play tents happens.. I can leave my lo's under the dining table with a couple of torches for hours!

singlewiththree
12-11-2010, 08:03 AM
That sounds like 2 areas to me, a quiet area and a role play area. I have some bean bags in the corner of my lounge for my quiet area, as for a role play area I don't have one, we get things out and create one in the living room as and when they want to play.

miss mopple
12-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Are you near an Ikea? they do a great pop up igloo tent thats only about a fiver :thumbsup: I have one and I put a cheap pale blue fleecy blankey and cushions in it and the children love it as a quiet space.

To make it more roleplay orientated rather than a quiet space think about what props you could add. So if for example you wanted a winter igloo type setting you could put a big bit of fabric down outside as a lake, add some laminated fish etc and make a fishing rod (maybe add magnets so they can really catch them),use packing chips as snow (depending on the age of the kids) have warm dressing up clothes nearby, playfood, mark making stuff etc

once you get started you'll be amazed at how creative you can be :thumbsup:

miffy
12-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I got an igloo pop up tent from Ikea for about £5.00 a few years ago.

You could transform your tent by draping some snow fleece over it - got some from the pound shop last year or covering it with old net curtains decorated with tinsel.

Miffy xx

mama2three
12-11-2010, 08:32 AM
bubble wrap , cut into a zigzag makes wonderful icicles , or maybe icicle fairy lights? soft toy polar bear or penguins? For material inside try those silver blankets they use for warming up casualties , sorry forget what theyre called! pompom snowballs ? thats my creativity for the day all dried up!!

What your do is suggesting isnt role play though really though your tent could be either - a lovely role play area - or a quiet escape haven. I know what you mean about putting it all away , it can be a pain every night!

Helen79
12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
A play frame (http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/products.php?id=3862&name=Folding%20Play%20Frame) can be turned into anything with some blankets and cushions and they fold flat for storage. You can buy/make a shelf that fits inside to make a shop/kitchen too.

Sarahbelle
12-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I know that role play and quiet area are two separate things but unfortunately I don't have the space for both, so I thought i would combine the two and see if the littluns like it. I currently mind, 1 yr, 22 mths, 22 mths, and 20 months!

Love the igloo tent and the play frame is a good idea too. Think I am going to be busy this weekend.:clapping:

Helen Dempster
12-11-2010, 09:54 AM
As "Singlewiththree" says, that's TWO areas!

I have a quiet corner, with loads of cushions and a big bean bag, in my living room. As for a role play area, I don't have one (haven't got the space!) so it's all in the garage and comes out as and when :)

FussyElmo
12-11-2010, 11:00 AM
What about one of the sparkly drapes that go over girls beds on a hook put that up and take it down a night and it becomes anything you want :thumbsup:

Polly2
12-11-2010, 11:29 AM
I just bought some lovely stuff for a winter theme from b&m bargains - look here :thumbsup:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=815014#post815014

The Juggler
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
i have the ELC sizzling kitchen in the corner at teh back of my lounge. Not sure how they can be quiet and private there though as often there are more than one.

A tent is a good idea but I find if one goes in several others pile in with them:laughing: After school the quietest place is the kitchen and often my littlies will like to sit and glue or draw/paint whilst the big ones are more boiseterous in the lounge.:)

Sarahbelle
12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I just bought some lovely stuff for a winter theme from b&m bargains - look here :thumbsup:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=815014#post815014

Thats fab! But we don't have B&M here, but we do have a pound shop, so will pop in and have a look and see if they have anything similar. Thanks. Have already had to change my idea today. Littluns are funny aren't they? When my tent is bright red they can't wait to get in it but when I make it white by putting a sheet over it, not interested at all! So the tent is gonna stay red and be Santa's Grotto instead! Will use the white sheet for snow on the ground instead.

Polly2
12-11-2010, 02:51 PM
That sounds great! :thumbsup: