PDA

View Full Version : let them destroy or not??

mushpea
11-11-2010, 09:36 PM
gonna do a space theme next week, in the play room i thought i would lay out some cushions and put a blanket over it to make the planet then i have a triangle tent that i can use for the rockett and the kids can make plannet pics and stars.
a great plan BUT I know for a fact that when the older ones come in they will destory it all,, not in a nasty way but they will pull up the blanket and pillows and turn them in to beds, the tent will become a school or a home and the 'alien' teddies will become their babys,,,,, this does annoy me cause its not what i planned to do
BUT
do i let them 'destroy' it and use their own imagination with it or do i tell them not to 'destroy' it and that its a space ship and planet and thats how they need to play with it

The Juggler
11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
hon, when you are going for imaginary then you gotta let them do their own thing as long as they are not being destructive:p

why not leave the materials out and ask them to help you 'build' the planet with the equpment you have :thumbsup:

sarah707
11-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I would let them take their interests in whatever direction they want to go!

I provide the resources and they provide the imagination. :D

Ripeberry
11-11-2010, 10:12 PM
You could introduce a theme, which is your planet, but it's fun just watching them use the materials and their imagination.

This afternoon, my afterschoolers aged 4yrs and 9yrs old and my daughters, decided to 'camp' in the living room using the pop up tent and play tunnel.
The youngest ones were the campers and the older ones were the lions and then wolves and they had to steal food from the campers.

Just fun watching them :thumbsup:

Vickster
11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
My son had two friends round today. Two pop up tents and a tunnel and a few cushions and a sleeping bag occupied them for 2.5 hours, at one point they were collecting shark poo but it was fun to watch...

jumpinjen
11-11-2010, 10:48 PM
if you want the little ones to enjoy it as a space theme then why not put it out for a few hours then pack resources away for after school and put it back out again the day after? I don't always do the same thing for day time and after school children!

jen x

youarewhatyoueat
12-11-2010, 02:07 PM
You could get some silver emergency blankets, I bought 5 for £5 on Amazon and then the older ones can introduce a different aspect to the game and renew the interest for the youger ones.
i gave my sons one to play with and they disappeared for hours at the weekend and then I put half of one in the baby treasure basket and they loved it.
Best money i've spent in ages.
Foil Survival Emergency Blanket (Pack of 5) by Life
Buy new: £4.15