PDA

View Full Version : Child Proofing!

emma04
17-12-2007, 12:56 PM
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone had any advice re. the following question

I have a stairgate at my kitchen door to enable me to keep children out of the kitchen at all times....... Do i still need cupboard locks? I never needed them for my daughter (now 3) as i used this method with her. However will Ofsted insist?

Thanks for your help.

Emma

PS
Pre Reg visit Thursday!!

Twinkles
17-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Like most things this will depend on the ofsted inspector that you get! Some will accept that as the children aren't left unsupervised in the kitchen you won't need cupboard locks- however - some will say that you need them. Personally I have them anyway even though I have a stairgate up.
Sorry if this answer seems a bit ambiguous but I think that a ' belt and braces ' approach seems best.

Lou
17-12-2007, 01:02 PM
HI i dont have either!!!

I have moved anything harmful out of reach, ie cleaning stuff etc is in a high up cupboard, stuff in bottom cupbaords is plastic cups and bowls etc.

I had an inspection in oct and inspector was more than happy with that, i explained i didnt want cupboards locks as they have to be screwed in, and my children are older.
In fact i got outstanding for keeping children safe.

I bever leave the children unattended so its fine.

Their are no hard and fast rules, you just need to prove you are aware of what you need to do to keep the children in your care safe.

Good luck wityh your pre reg

Loux

Spangles
17-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I totally agree with Lou although I have a stairgate and cupboard locks.

I think as long as you can reassure the inspector that you have thought this through and that the children will be safe with the method you use then that should be fine.

If the inspector you get advises you to have cupboard locks as well as a stairgate it's your pre-reg visit so you can easily do this, it's not going to affect a grading or anything and the inspector is there to give you advice on subjects such as this.

I would make sure it's mentioned on your risk assessment for sure.

Good luck for your pre-reg!

x

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 02:06 PM
I have never ever had locks and I do not intend to ever get any

It is my home and the children are not allowed in the kitchen without adult supervision

Most things are about common sense

Angel xx

Rubybubbles
17-12-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a stair gate (not in use:blush: ) and all harmful stuff up high. I told Ofsted that I would use my stair gate against age/understanding as everything is up high. Nothing was said against this and I got a good. Although it is in waiting again as the baby in nearly crawling:D

good luck in your pre-reg visit

Emma

emma04
17-12-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi

Thanks for all of your advice! I shall definitely be using this forum in future.....Lots of helpful folk! :thumbsup:

Strangely I am actually looking forward to the pre reg!!
It's been 18months since I began researching the idea of childminding, all the hard work of putting together policies, risk assessments and the building of a new play/activity room and downstairs loo!!!

I'm now ready and excited!!!!
(even have a couple of prospective children lined up!):happy banana:

Merry Christmas!! & Happy New Year!!

angeldelight
17-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Happy Christmas to you too

But hope you are coming back to chat before the big day ?

Angel xx

buildingblocks
17-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I passed my pre reg and two inspections using this method but at the end of hte day I guess it will depend on the inspector you get