PDA

View Full Version : What does this mean?

karen37
11-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I ve had an email from a lady who wants some one to look after her little girl, she said to start she wont need a regular day/time do i operate on an ad-hoc basis if she gives plenty of notice, not sure what this entails can any one help

crazybones
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Hard to answer without more details. I think you should speak to her eg is it 1 day a week, 1 day a month. Would keeping a space for her affect your other vacancies? Its a bit vague from her! I thin you definitely need to speak to her and find out what she means.

Pipsqueak
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Depends if you want to do it - I would email her and tell her you need a rough idea at first ask her to explain what she means and if you do take it on - tell her you need a minimum of 2 weeks advance written notification of requirements so that you can attach it to the contract.

Be careful as she may try to treat you as an occasional babysitting service to use you as and when she chooses

Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh about it but think carefully about something that isn't particuarly fixed

mum22
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Just be wary, i had a short term contract for 3 months as mum was due baby number 2, but not going back to work after = 3 months was great but after baby was born i got quite a few calls asking if i could have toddler for the day - i started to get annoyed with being a cheap baby sitter and said if she wanted me then it was a higher fee as it was always short notice.

hope it works for you

Helen

karen37
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the advice just emailed her back so wait for reply!!:littleangel:

Spangles
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Sounds to me like she wants to initially just call you up and ask you to care for her child as and when she fancies!

It might be okay if you don't have any others, it will be experience and a reference as long as it doesn't get in the way of other work and if she's willing to bring the child over for settling in so that you can get to know each other well.

She could be trying it on though and never actually intends having a regular slot? Might be best to meet her and try and suss out what is going on and then decide what to do.

I would err on the side of caution though if it was me.

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Yep, i think she wants to use and abuse! I would set out a minimum hours. Dont do what we have all done in the past and take on something that is not suitable/ or takes up a full time placement because its the first thing that comes along. Hold tight, something better and more suitable will come along!

karen37
11-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I have a 11 month old full time and a 22 month old part time and a new mindee starting in a few weeks, when the parents ring and confirm the days etc, so i am not going to be silly:thumbsup:

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 07:45 PM
sorry i didn't want to sound negative but you will quickly learn that parents do like to take advantage!

karen37
11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
no thanks for the advice its much appreciated

miffy
11-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Think you should be wary of this one - she may want something for very little and entirely on her own terms

good luck

miffy xx

Twinkles
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I would consider doing this. But I would charge a higher rate, would specify minimum hours per session, lots of notice and would only do it if it fitted in with my other commitments.
You would also have to consider the child , is he/she the sort of child that would settle easily or would you spend the whole session comforting a distressed child who didn't settle because he/she doesn't come often enough.