PDA

View Full Version : Advice and all opinions please weekend CM

Gunwallow
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Hello. I spent many (many) years as a childminder before training to become a teacher. I left that to raise a family and worked as a respite carer for over ten years. I now work as a PA.......I get paid well but hate it! I miss so much working with children. So, I am seriously considering childminding again. A few questions if I may -

1. I am considering starting out as a weekend childminder, and advertising in addition to this that I can do special needs child care, respite care at weekend, do you think this would be something parents would want?

2. Is it odd for a childminder to be (somewhat!) mature with her own children grown?

Views invited please.....:)

Ripeberry
10-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would snap you up! Especially if you did weekend care and overnight.

It's not odd to be a childminder of a certain age :D I'm over the hill already :blush: and I've only recently registered.

Good luck in what you decide.

jane5
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
I went to a meeting last night about government funding to get childminders to take on children with special needs and disabilities.
My council are crying out to get cm signed up as there is so much demand.

Phone your local council and see if they are doing any thing similar.

I am also "mature" with my eldest 25, 22, 21 and 17, but have got a lo 2yrs.

Nothing can beat experience :thumbsup:

miffy
10-11-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm sure there would be a huge demand for respite care at the weekends - why don't you contact your local SS and enquire?

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
10-11-2010, 06:23 PM
I think it sounds a great idea if there is a call for it near you.

I am quite mature at 45, although friends would say I am just a big kid! My kids are 16 and 14 - started on motherhood a little later than some :rolleyes:

karen m
10-11-2010, 07:05 PM
i am a mature minder and my children have all grown up youngest being 18 in a few weeks,although we are moving to scotland in next year and worry about starting all over again

sarah707
10-11-2010, 09:17 PM
I think it's wonderful to be able to offer that kind of service.

My friend's parents do a babysit for one family on a Saturday night and a few hours Sunday for a different family who both have disabled children.

I know how much their support is appreciated and because they have experience and are a mature couple the parents go out knowing their children are safe and well cared for.

I say go for it! :D

Penny1959
11-11-2010, 05:58 AM
I have just returned to childminding - as suggested by my name I was born in 1959 - I was concerned that parents would choose someone as old as me - and someone with children age 32, 30, 25 and 22 - not to mention the 5 grandchildren - but I am now full - so don't think you need to worry about age.

I also offer weekends - but so far only one parent uses this service (a nurse).
I am not registered for overnight care but do provide a babysitting service in the child's own home. Again only the one parent uses this service.

I am surprised as like you I have experience of additional needs. I think you may do better as you are offering overnight care / respite care. (seriously thinking of registering for overnight care myself).

Good Luck

Penny :)

suzyblue
11-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Only yesterday one of my mindees parents said that she would pay a fortune for someone to have her child for a night or weekend - they are off for a couple of days to celebrate their anniversary but as their own parents are elderly they have to take their lo with them.
I think its a great idea!

Polly2
11-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi
I think you have found your 'unique selling point'!! Go for it I am sure there will be parents desperate to snap you up :thumbsup:

Gunwallow
11-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Well what a great positive result! Thank you one and all, I feel a whole lot more positive about it now :) I am moving at Christmas (great timing!), and after that I will contact my local bods and see what they have to say