PDA

View Full Version : using my living room as a playroom ?

nelly
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
hi peeps just wonderd if you think this as OTT.at the moment i use my dinning room as a playroom but i have limeted space and im getting very fustrated because of this but have just had a brain wave, what if i swop my rooms around because my living room is double the size of my play room.just worried what my family would think ?

Playmate
09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
you may want to check with your family first :panic: We use our conservatory as a dedicated playroom and storage, but children have free run of the down stairs during the minding day and then it is just all packed away at night.

sarah707
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I have my dining table in my living room because that is the biggest room.

It means I can have an office and there's a single bed in my dining room which is now a playroom (if that makes sense).

Why not try it until say Christmas (with family agreement) and see how it goes? :D

keeks
09-11-2010, 09:52 PM
I haven't got a play room and will have to use my lounge. I have a lovely storage room in the lounge where I keep all the toys ready to roll out in the morning, and to go back in at night. I know lots of other people use their lounge as well if they haven't got a play room.

I agree with Sarah, talk to your family and give it a go until Christmas or something.

xx

mushpea
10-11-2010, 06:58 AM
we now have a conservatory where the toys are mainly kept but they do bring them in the lounge,,, why not bring some toys in during the day then put them back in the playroom at night,,, each weekend i put all the toys away then get different ones out for the next week caus i dont want toys in at the weekend.

mama2three
10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Are your family at home whilst you are minding? Do you need a playspace and a lounge at the same time? My lounge becomes my playroom in the day , takes a bit of time to set up and put away each day , all back to 'home' by the time dh gets in. It works for us , well it needs to as its the only option! the only way Im getting a playroom is if I win the lottery - and then I probably wouldnt be minding any more!

singlewiththree
10-11-2010, 07:27 AM
I don't have a playroom and have all my toys in the dining area of my kitchen diner, we still use the living room and I tend to keep the large baby toys in there mon-Weds when I have the baby and move to them to the garage the rest of the week.

The Juggler
10-11-2010, 07:31 AM
I haven't got a play room and will have to use my lounge. I have a lovely storage room in the lounge where I keep all the toys ready to roll out in the morning, and to go back in at night. I know lots of other people use their lounge as well if they haven't got a play room.

I agree with Sarah, talk to your family and give it a go until Christmas or something.

xx

me either. we don't have a sep. dining room but a big through lounge so this is the 'playroom'.

snufflepuff
10-11-2010, 07:46 AM
I do have a playrrom but it's upstairs so it can be a pain to get all the children up there and back down again. So it's mainly just for show at the moment/ used as storage, and i bring toys down to the living room each day (also have toys kept in the living room but my son is still young so there would be toys there even if i wasn't minding)

Could you try bringing toys in to your living room? You can let the children choose what they want to bring through then put it all back at the end of the day.

miffy
10-11-2010, 07:49 AM
I'd talk to your family first - they might resent it otherwise.

I don't have a playroom, just use the lounge, kitchen and dining room and tidy up at night.

Miffy xx

miss mopple
10-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I use my dining room too. Think DH would divorce me if I suggested swapping them round :laughing:

Andrea08
10-11-2010, 08:42 AM
which rooms are you registered to use? the whole of my downstairs is registered and i moved to teh larger rooms and my family hated it and now my DO h8s it too ...looks more like a nursery than home setting...

so im changing it bk ready for xmas and getting rid of a lot of toys because with all the continual provisions we need its added up to quite a lot...

felt like giving up but im getting my home back and keeping just a few toys in the smaller room... and if ofsted dont like it ill tell her what my DO said...

the lo's can play in your lounge just remove any toys at the end of the day which is what did my back in last yr..

have a good think about it b4 you move everything and remember do you want to be in the smaller room at family time and this xmas? we were cramped last yr small room with family and 3 dogs...

i will neva put this job b4 family again im doing this job because yes i love kids but i love my family too and need to pay bills not to just please DO's and ofsted and snotty parents who dont even pay on time..

good luck with your decision xxx

FussyElmo
10-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Dont have a playroom but all the toys are now stored in the dining room which we try to use but with my table and computer in there it doesnt leave much room. So we use the living room but this is tidied up and all put away at the end of the day.

There is no way I would swap my rooms round my living room is bigger too but We all live here and dont want to become and resent the job.

crazyXstitcher
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Our lounge IS the playroom. We don't have anywhere else. We have it arranged so all the toys are stored behind the settee's (almost out of sight at night) or under the stairs (stuff i don't want mindees to randomly help themselves to!)

It's all tidied away at mindees leaving time so it doesn't impact on the family out of working hours.

maisiemog
10-11-2010, 11:04 AM
We dont have a playroom either. All our toys are stored on a shelving unit in the dining area or in a toy box in our bay window. I am about to start a mass clear out of toys, and put some in storage to rotate them all around as we're starting to get too many, plus we've just brought DD a kitchen for christmas and we need to find space for that!

Don't mind all the toys at the moment as we would have most of them for DD anyway but might resent it a bit in afew yrs time when she is older though!

kindredspirits
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
My OH would have a fit if I suggested something like that! :laughing:
I don't have a playroom - it your situation I would perhaps pull some of the toys into the living room during the day and just go between the two rooms rather than put all the toys into the living room.
give yourself time and space to relax when you're not working or you may start to resent your non-working time

rickysmiths
10-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I have had no choice but to use my living room for the last 18yrs!!! First for my own two and then the midees as well.

Now, having had a large extention built this summer, we have the luxury of an adult only sitting room, my two are 16 and 18 now so are almost adult!, because I now have a dedicated play room. I must say it is a treat after so long with toys in the sitting room for none to be there now.:blush:

Tinks
12-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Hi,

I use my living room as a playroom. I have done for my own two since we moved here. I have a fairly big lounge and most of toys are in storage towers. At first I found it hard, but you do learn to ignore them when you switch off from 'work mode' in the evening!