View Full Version : Another variation question

09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
well, looks like I will have a new child from january - might be mon to weds, might be tues to thurs, don't know yet.

I already have a lad for 2 days a week, so the new child will fill the other 3 days

Only problem is, the current lads mum is freelance. She has contracted to set days but if work comes up, I can generally swap around the days. But can not do this if I fill the other days

I am thinking of asking for a variation for the current lad so that IF, on the odd occasion, mum doesn't get work on contracted days, but is offered work on the other days, that she can keep the flexibility

In terms of continuity of care, I don't want to lose this lad, he took a long while to settle and is adoreable, but in terms of business, I need to fill the days around him, so don't want mum to feel like I've pushed him out either

The variation would not need to be for the full day, 6 hrs from Jan and 3 hours from Sept when another lad starts nursery, and would not be for every day, he only does two days a week so two days max but and the variation would only need to be for tues/weds and maybe thurs aswell

Is there a form to fill in for Ofsted? Do I call them? Or write to them stating my case?

What do I need to do to back myself up to show I can cope? Risk assess outings? Walks to school? R/A for how I'd cope at playgroup?

Any other sugestions please?

Am I likely to be allowed it? Or am I wasting my time?


09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I think what I would do is wait until the new child starts and then after a little while ask for a variation based on the possibility that 1 mum will be asked to work extra days on occasion?

I think you now download the form on the Ofsted site x

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2010, 07:38 PM
I think what I would do is wait until the new child starts and then after a little while ask for a variation based on the possibility that 1 mum will be asked to work extra days on occasion?

I think you now download the form on the Ofsted site x

I would go with this too

09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
You think wait rather than a pre-emtive strike?

I'm just thinking that the tues - thurs child is more money than the mon - weds child (both sets of parents want me so my choice) and current mum would rather swap her day so she's contracted to a thurs and fri (rather than stay monday and friday) as she seems to get a good number of shifts offered then - which means I could not consider the higher paying child as things stand

I know. I am making this so confusing.

Once a request goes in, how soon do you hear yes or no?


09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
And where would I find it on the Ofsted website? I ahve had a quick look and really don't know where to begin looking

Ta muchly


09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
If you put it in now you need to say that you have them already and make sure that you cover their (Ofsteds) 'Continuity of Service'. Takes about 4 weeks. Quicker if you write URGENT on it. I have a completed form here if you would like to see what I put but would need a day to take out the childrens names to make it onon and cover confidentiality. You can call ofsted on the number on your poster and they will email you the blank form to you immediately. When completed you can email it back. They send you confirmation within 24/48 hrs to say they have past it to their compliance department. If you ring the compliance department a bit you can get confirmation over the phone. I did - LOL. Took just a few days, but they do say it could take upto 4 weeks.

Just to add I would only send the variation request in whilst settling in the new children.

09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the offer of that, it would be great to see an example

I might call and ask them to email me, even if I decide not to use it

Do many people get told no? And what are the reasons if they are

Is it worth me calling ofsted to ask hyperthetically if its worth the effort?

Mother of the tues-thurs option child is struggling to find someone to work as late as she wants 6.45pm, which I avhe no problem with but she doesn't want to have the bother of emplying a nanny or have someone unregistered

Thanks again


09-11-2010, 11:33 PM
If you wait until you are minding both children and then apply to Ofsted for a variation on the grounds that "one of the families have had a change in working hours / situation" it may be looked on more favourably as a case of continuity of care for both children.
There is a form available on the Ofsted website for you to print off, complete and return.
Support your application with risk assessments of your daily routine and how you would deal with each situation - ie double buggy instead of single, sleep / nap management, etc etc.
Good Luck

25-11-2010, 10:48 PM

Glad I have found this thread! I have a similar query!

Where is the form on the Ofsted website? (www.ofsted.gov.uk right?)

I have searched but cannot find a variation form. All I can find is a social care variation information.:angry:

Please help. Really need to apply as need a variation (or an answer at least by Jan!):panic:

Many thanks!!

25-11-2010, 11:18 PM
Have just found the form on this website!

Love this site it is fab! (Still have not found it on Ofsted site!)

Just one more question :blush:

Do you phone then send the form or just send the form?

Thanks :)