PDA

View Full Version : Variation for new mindees?

lauren1979
09-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Hello,
Am currently putting together application for new mindees so I would have 4 under 5, including 2 of my own. The other 2 are brothers, the mother cannot find any minder in the area with one space for the hours she wants, other than me, let alone two!

I know on the form it says continuity of care is for siblings of or extending hours currently minded children only, but these boys previous c/m has given it up. These and my own would be the only mindees during these hours.

So I am applying as parents really want me to, and I am happy and comfortable having 4 under 5...are there specific areas I should really highlight/mention to Ofsted? Has anyone had experience of this for new mindees, is it likely to be a yes?

Thanks!

Mouse
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
As a rule Ofsted won't consider a variation for new children, but may do if it can be shown that there is no one else in the area who has spaces for both children. Do you have a vacancy co-ordinator or development worker who can confirm that you are the only person with the 2 spaces for the hours needed?

How soon does the mum need you? The only other option is to take on one of the children now, then apply for a variation for the other. Would mum be able to send one of them somewhere else for a short time (a relative, short-term minder?)

Also, have you had your first inspection yet? Often they won't do a variation until you've had your first inspection, so if it's due soon you could ask while the inspector is there.

Helcatt
09-11-2010, 03:14 PM
I was about to ask something very similar. I am wanting to ask to give a free lance mum the chance to use any day of the week - it is a current child which I think goes in my favour

I am not sure but surely the siblings being kept together would go in your favour?

Is there a form to fill to fill in or is a case of writing a letter/making a phone call stating your case?

I currently can swap days about as and when for mum but taking on a new child in jan will mean I lose the flexibility

Good luck

Hx

blue bear
09-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I knew a childminder who applied for the varation of 4 under 5 as she had an enquiry for two brothers, it was full time and was granted under continuation of care as mum did not want to split them and no one had a vacancy for both.

Penny1959
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I knew a childminder who applied for the varation of 4 under 5 as she had an enquiry for two brothers, it was full time and was granted under continuation of care as mum did not want to split them and no one had a vacancy for both.

I also know of someone who has had a recent variation for 2 siblings (mum moving into area) as no one else could fit them in

Penny :)

lauren1979
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Oooh well these tales of hope are making me optimistic too, just completing form now...fingers crossed!